BEST OBD2 scanner for UNDER $100

Hi,

Looking to purchase a decent OBD scanner tool for general use on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra. Looking for model NOT the cheapest but maybe up to around $75.00. I have NO issues with my Elantra, just want a nice scanner to have. Can anyone recommend a top model?

Thanks
Michael

I have the Bosch OBD 1000 for $99 from OReillys, works for me.
cheers3.gif

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/diy/products/bosch-obd-1000

Autel AP200 does a pretty good job. One brand free with purchase, others by subscription. Think they're still $50.

Blue Driver here on the Toyota's..very handy tool.

Like the way ir links the part to Amazon for a price then to the local labor price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
Autel AP200 does a pretty good job. One brand free with purchase, others by subscription. Think they're still $50.

It's about $60 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07QD4GZW4

I used to like the Autel Diaglink, it's only an extra $10 for each additional car model instead of $22 like the one above. But it sounds like the one above is the cheaper one if you just have one car as the Diaglink is $89.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Diaglink-Version-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B086HGXN8M

Last edited:
Torque app for Android phone, $5. ELM327 Bluetooth adapter on Amazon $8. I splurged and got the Fiat add-on for another $5.

Originally Posted by awguy
Torque app for Android phone, $5. ELM327 Bluetooth adapter on Amazon $8. I splurged and got the Fiat add-on for another $5.

This is good, but beware the super cheap knockoffs, they don't have all the protocols. Like I could do basic engine/emissions stuff but not TPMS or extended codes. A "good" ELM327 is only a few bucks more than a few bucks.
lol.gif

The ELM327 is also a good base for future apps that are free or real cheap in your app store that may offer hyundai specific features.

I have not used Bluedriver but from comparing specs, it doesn't seem to offer any more data than an ELM327 dongle with paid Torque Pro / OBD Fusion app ( with add-on) at about half the cost. Non of these devices are bi-directional ( incl BD) so you can't reset ABS or other non-MIL faults.

They do offer diagnostic suggestions, but you can generally google the fault and your vehicle to get similar information.

Not saying it's a bad product, just a bit overpriced for what it provides, IMO. In the $100+ category, I'd rather invest in a true bi-directional tool, like Autel or Foxwell.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
I have not used Bluedriver but from comparing specs, it doesn't seem to offer any more data than an ELM327 dongle with paid Torque Pro / OBD Fusion app ( with add-on) at about half the cost. Non of these devices are bi-directional ( incl BD) so you can't reset ABS or other non-MIL faults.

They do offer diagnostic suggestions, but you can generally google the fault and your vehicle to get similar information.

Not saying it's a bad product, just a bit overpriced for what it provides, IMO. In the $100+ category, I'd rather invest in a true bi-directional tool, like Autel or Foxwell.

That's pretty much my impresion, you pay a high premium for better build quality, a little more user friendly interface, and superior customer support. But for actual ability you can match it with a $6 ELM327 clone.

I bought a generic ELM327 clone dongle on Amazon for $6.59 CDN shipped a couple years ago and it's literally the best value tool you can buy. Compared to my older Innova scanner it's much more capable and it was less than 1/10th the cost. If I walked into the post office and tried to mail my ELM327 dongle across the street it would cost me more than $6 to have it shipped, so they're about as close to free as you can get for an actual very functional and reliable tool.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
Originally Posted by WagonWheel

That's pretty much my impresion, you pay a high premium for better build quality, a little more user friendly interface, and superior customer support. But for actual ability you can match it with a $6 ELM327 clone.

I bought a generic ELM327 clone dongle on Amazon for $6.59 CDN shipped a couple years ago and it's literally the best value tool you can buy. Compared to my older Innova scanner it's much more capable and it was less than 1/10th the cost. If I walked into the post office and tried to mail my ELM327 dongle across the street it would cost me more than $6 to have it shipped, so they're about as close to free as you can get for an actual very functional and reliable tool.

I think you guys missed the whole point of the bluedriver. It also does manufacturer specific codes. The basic ELM327 only does engine and emissions related codes, not manufacturer specific codes like transmission, SRS, ABS, etc. I was going to knock bluedriver in that they didn't support the full set of codes for my car, but I just looked it up again and it looks like they now support manufacturer specific codes now where they didn't before. And when BAFX makes a pretty good generic ELM327 reader, I'd just spend the $23 on their reader instead of taking a chance on a generic $6, those can be hit or miss on certain models.

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS

Make sure you can read the live data with what you get. I have bought inexpensive scanners/code readers not thinking much about it and all they did was give the code number and erase codes. I couldn't verify any sensor readings. So bought one that did both. Should be able to find a great option in that price range.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I think you guys missed the whole point of the bluedriver. It also does manufacturer specific codes. The basic ELM327 only does engine and emissions related codes, not manufacturer specific codes like transmission, SRS, ABS, etc. I was going to knock bluedriver in that they didn't support the full set of codes for my car, but I just looked it up again and it looks like they now support manufacturer specific codes now where they didn't before. And when BAFX makes a pretty good generic ELM327 reader, I'd just spend the $23 on their reader instead of taking a chance on a generic $6, those can be hit or miss on certain models.

According to OBDFusion, it now supports enhanced diagnostics, including reading of SRS codes on specific makes. Even BD can only read SRS/ABS on limited makes.

I'm not confused at all; it's just my opinion.
Amazon is running a 10% off on BD now though.

[Linked Image]

Back