Oil Drain vs Extraction

jurko

Site Donor 2022
Anyone else is using extractor and is satisfied with it?
Got this thing today. Oil filter is on top next to a dipstick so I am looking forward to not having to crawl under my car doing oil change.
According to some testimonials on VW forums and watching YT, they lifted the car up and drained whatever was left after extraction and only about 2-3 oz of oil came out.
[Linked Image]

Ooops I think I put it in wrong forum. Should be in maintenance. Could admin move it please?
Thanks.

Mity.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 7201 and like it a lot; I don't use it for my toyotas since OC are a 10 minute job. It is particularly useful for OPE like my friend's Honda generator

I always use the mityvac whenever and wherever possible. Cars, bikes, lawnmowers, boats - everything.

Saves a TON of time.

UD

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
How old was the VW they lifted up after extraction?

Had to be anywhere from 2014 and up because they mentioned Gen3 E888 TSI engines, that's when VW started to make them.

You know, there will be a day I will not wanna crawl under cars anymore.
That day is closer rather than further away.

Hey, can that thing change them dang filters?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
You know, there will be a day I will not wanna crawl under cars anymore.
That day is closer rather than further away.

Hey, can that thing change them dang filters?

lol.gif

I know what you mean. The day arrived for me and I said enough is enough.
Looking forward to pump it about 8-10 times and walk away. Come back in 5 min or so and it's done.

Yes, I have a Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. I got it a few months ago off Amazon.

The main reason I wanted it was to change the oil in my riding lawn mower. Using the drain plug results in an oily mess. So I finally surrendered and got one of these.

So does it work? Yes, it is just as advertised. It doesn't work well on a cold engine. But get the oil warm and the extractor will pull it out with ease.

It worked so well on my mower that I used it on my old Mercedes. It pulled out approximately the same amount of oil as when I remove the drain plug.

Since the oil filter is mounted on the top of the engine for this car, it makes changing the oil and filter an easy task.

I recommend it without any reservations. It hold about 9 liters of oil. That's more than enough to drain most vehicles.

Originally Posted by Jett Rink

So does it work? Yes, it is just as advertised. It doesn't work well on a cold engine. But get the oil warm and the extractor will pull it out with ease.

Thanks for the advice.

I use 12V electric oil pump to extract the oil. It extracts all of it, I open the plug nothig goes out downthere. KIA CEED

Last edited:
I doubt that those extractors are going to remove everything that settles on the bottom of the pan.

They work and in most cases work very well but like everything else, they have limitations and certain conditions where performance may not be optimal. The question then becomes if those situations apply to you and if so, how much do they matter.

Other than temperature related thinning for ease of removal the most important consideration is fluid removal.

In general sump drains are designed ( all things being equal and level) where fluid accumulates and flows to a lower exit point under gravity.

Depending on where you stick the tube, you may have fluid pockets remaining, which, depending on the volume and potential contamination may leave some residual contamination you would have otherwise drained.

Just be aware of that

I have that model and use it regularly and works like a charm at getting it all out. I did the suction then remove drain plug test to see how much remained and got a couple tablespoons more out of the drain. Not a big deal, and totally worth it not to get a jack and stands (or ramps) out. Another cool feature is when you're done, reverse the flow and pump the oil in the device right back into 5qt. jugs to take to recycle. Less mess IMO, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Depending on where you stick the tube, you may have fluid pockets remaining, which, depending on the volume and potential contamination may leave some residual contamination you would have otherwise drained.

Just be aware of that

It was on my mind before I even made a purchase that this could be a case over time. So I was thinking that I'll do complete drain every third oil change which is no big deal.

I haven't been under a car for an oil change for 15 years now thanks to my Mityvac. An oil change can easily be done after work within 30 minutes before dinner. Quick, clean and easy.

Originally Posted by js1956
Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Just be aware of that

It was on my mind before I even made a purchase that this could be a case over time. So I was thinking that I'll do complete drain every third oil change which is no big deal.
That is completely unnecessary

Oil extraction is so easy on these cars, can't believe it took me 3 years to get one. 20 minutes and you're done with the whole change.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I bought the slightly better unit offered at Harbor Freight and I'll say I'm impressed. Used it on my car and a co-workers Passat with the 1.8T EA888. Yea there might be a couple ounces of oil left in there, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that much. Going to try it on my Tacoma next as the oil filter is on top and even though I can crawl under it fine, they way the drain plug is on there it makes a mess.

Extraction is great and the MityVac a great tool, however not all oil pans are designed to allow for a complete extraction.
Those that are have the lowest point where the tube meets the pan and don't have hi & low spots. Still even in a not ideal situation one would extract 80-90% of the old oil.

Last edited:
I see the convenience factor but don't see how this would be any quicker than pulling the drain bolt. With most vehicles you have to go under for the filter anyways, and at least for me I just drive up on the ramps and it's easy access. It also gives me a chance to do a look-over on the underside for leaks or other surprises that I might otherwise not be able to see.

Last edited:
Back