2001 Mazda Miata, timing belt

I am getting ready to replace the timing belt and tensioner and pulleys.

I am looking at Rock Auto for timing belt replacement kits that include the belt, pulleys and tensioner.
There are Contitech, Continental, Dayco and GMB brands available on Rock Auto. Of these available brands, which is most likely closest to OEM quality?
Or, should I just get OEM parts from a dealer?

I don't see any obvious brands that look like an OEM supplier. Would that be GMB? It seems to be Japan headquartered?

Thanks in advance.

I believe GMB was the OE bearings supplier. But he water pump and belt Mazda used different suppliers over the years. Its one of the reasons they have a 60k replacement schedule on their timing belts systems.

If you look at rockauto all the kits have the same GMB bearings in them. So go with the CONTITECH TB179LK1 since its the cheapest and has the same idler/tensioner as the others.

Oh and get a Made in Japan (Beck/Arnley) crank seal. The national seal is a little off on some of those motors and will leak. Ask me how I and my customer know.
frown.gif

Thanks for the tips! I have found the OEM parts from the local dealer to be very expensive. This morning, I discovered that the timing belt was replaced 21,000 miles ago. The replacement was done 12 years ago and I am wanting to do this job to bring this recently purchased car up to a good known point.

The prior owner didn't use any OEM parts and maintenance history is relatively unknown.

I once replaced a front main seal on my Toyota pickup. I forgot the brand, but it was not OEM. The oil seal lasted maybe 6 months before it leaked. Fortunately, the seal was easy to replace and the new seal was available at my local Toyota dealer. 15 years later, no leaks or even weeps..

About oil seals - Skotty Kilmer on You Tube did a thing about oil seals. Skotty's not right all the time but has a pretty good batting average. Some seals are made with some kind of polymer. You can tell it is one of those if there is no spring inside it. You are supposed to install them and then do not crank the engine for 8 hours or a day - I forget. If you fire the engine up w/out waiting the seal will not last. You want the old fashioned kind that has a circular spring in it that holds the seal to the shaft. Maybe buy the seal from the dealer if it is not more than twice as expensive as the other guys. Make sure the shaft is pristine or you seal will wear out.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion of using a dealer with an online storefront. I have done that with Subaru and Toyota parts. I needed the reminder though..
Also, thanks for the Mazda Motorsports link.

Oddly enough, I had thought about autocrossing, but the Mazda is my wife's car. I may have to talk her into autocrossing and live vicariously through her.
19.gif

Only thing is, she would have to be seriously interested in driving. I'm not sure she's made that way, but it would be interesting to find out...
28.gif

Back