Automatic Transmission clunking in Honda Fit, stay away or buy?

My 2002 Accord that I bought with 150k and flaring/clunking transmission that I thought was going to have to be replaced is still kicking at almost 220k. The transmission hasn't gotten better or worse. I'm pretty impressed by how is holding up. I know it's not the same as a fit bit it's some comparison from one Honda to another.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is the seller in Washington DC?

No, he lives in a million dollar brick house in the suburbs!
lol.gif

In all seriousness let the car go to someone else who thinks Japanese=gold.

Originally Posted by joegreen
My 2002 Accord that I bought with 150k and flaring/clunking transmission that I thought was going to have to be replaced is still kicking at almost 220k. The transmission hasn't gotten better or worse. I'm pretty impressed by how is holding up. I know it's not the same as a fit bit it's some comparison from one Honda to another.

I wouldn't compare a pre '05 Accord to a Fit, an Accord is a MUCH better car. Has Honda lost their way somewhat? I remember my old '90 & '89 Civics, they were almost indestructible!

I would be even more worried about it being sold by a flipper. They know all the tricks to cover up issues and if he could not cover up the transmission problem its most likely worse than it appears.

Don't buy from a curbstoner. Don't buy an odometer fraud, and don't buy the car if you already know it has transmission problems
smile.gif

Find out what a trans rebuild costs from a dealer then deduct the price plus a thousand dollars more off of the asking price.

I'm more concerned about the intentional rollback of the odometer, and the "craigslist stoner". Usually they buy auction cars and try to sell it to the unsuspecting high school teenager looking for their first car on their own, who has their parents "cash". Usually it winds up in a seller that can disappear after the transaction never to be found again, a teenager that is grounded for the rest of their high school tenure, and a parent that puts $2k of repairs into the car Before realizing it needs another $3k of work ...and sells it for a loss in a few months.

You can take it for an inspection before buying, but I figure an inspection won't find a lot of the stuff wrong with the car.

Sorry, I'm cynical. it's your money, your decision. It's just a car. It's not like you're deciding between brain surgery or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
... Has Honda lost their way somewhat? I remember my old '90 & '89 Civics, they were almost indestructible!

My Wife had a new base civic 1990 I think. Cant recall if it was an Ohio or Canadian car. Chassis was great. Engine and trans absolute garbage.

VT was completely worn out at 50K miles. I couldn't even set the lash the rockers were so worn on the shaft.

Then, with the coil in cap the car would not start in humid weather. Or it would crossfire terribly.

the Cap was crazed between terminals - even on new honda parts.

Absolute Garbage. Then I bough the Fit. 18 grand Really overpriced Garbage. They were 11K cars new.
1.5L, pencill sized struts, twist beam rear. Typical Sub compact junk.
Now they are Mexican.

what a freaking Joke.

Originally Posted by lizpat
Originally Posted by skyactiv
i know your not that dumb.

It is tempting to be honest, the engine is in good shape (in spite 230,000 real miles.) lol
smile.gif

Really depends on the price and if you mind getting it fixed. If you got an amazing price, might be worth a flush to see if that fixes it or a rebuild. If you're going to rely on it right away, probably not. If it's an "extra car" and you can score a deal, maybe? For people saying "no!" what if it was $100? See, price is everything...

Edit: but I'd definitely REALLY low-ball. And if it wasn't accepted, sprint away. I didn't read the pages of comments, what was the price?

Last edited:
Back