Next Pistol Opinions

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Hard to beat a S&W wheel gun .

Which would be your next one from looking at my list?

Originally Posted by czbrian
S&W 17 or 617

+1

Or consider an S&W 25 set up in .45ACP

Or perhaps a classic 19, 64/65/66/67, or 27/28.

This keeps the same set of calibers, so buying ammo in bulk is more useful.

I'd kind of say go find a nice pinned and recessed model 17, 18, or 19 (all 17/18 will be p&r, but 19 will only be up to 19-3, iirc). An older one with the shined blue and case hardened trigger and hammer will be a nice addition alongside your stainless revolver.

Random gunbroker photo:
[Linked Image]

I have a 92s Italian police tradein and love it. On the wheelguns I've got a ruger super blackhawk in .44 mag with a real long barrel and that thing is a hoot to shoot.

.44 mag is a hoot to shoot like ten times. .44spl is great, but $ for what it is. OP already has .45acp, .38 and .22.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by czbrian
S&W 17 or 617

+1

Or consider an S&W 25 set up in .45ACP

Or perhaps a classic 19, 64/65/66/67, or 27/28.

This keeps the same set of calibers, so buying ammo in bulk is more useful.

I'd kind of say go find a nice pinned and recessed model 17, 18, or 19 (all 17/18 will be p&r, but 19 will only be up to 19-3, iirc). An older one with the shined blue and case hardened trigger and hammer will be a nice addition alongside your stainless revolver.

P&R includes 19-4, 66-1. I have a 19-4 but sadly my 66 is a -2. It's still a new gun though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Hard to beat a S&W wheel gun .

I agree if we're talking about the older revolvers made when S&W had skilled labor that actually cared. The modern S&Ws don't hold a candle to the old ones.

If strength and durability are key, Ruger's the brand to beat. The older Smith pistols have a certain elegance to them.

BSW

Originally Posted by ammolab
Originally Posted by Gebo
What's so special about a CZ 75?

Said the man who doesn't own one!

I know. Honestly, I had never heard of it til this thread. It must be very nice.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
.44 mag is a hoot to shoot like ten times. .44spl is great, but $ for what it is. OP already has .45acp, .38 and .22.

I've been YouTubing. Is the 629 the Mac Daddy of .44 mags?

I don't care about buying another caliber of ammo.

I just got my first Revolver, S&W 686 plus non-fluted, and had to send it back for flaws. My new one is awaiting my pu today. I thought
S&W was a top quality mfr but I now know they aren't what they used to be.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You haven't a 9mm. They make em' for wheel-guns too.

You make a valid point but I did sell all my 9mm.

Wheel gun and 9 mm seems sorta....unnatural. LOL

a ruger blackhawk convertible single action revolver in either 45lc/acp or 357/38/9mm. unless you really love 45acp, you might go with the latter to add cheap 9mm plinking ammo to your shooting menu.

I love them all

I'm wondering what my next purchase should be.
I only want metal pistols.
I am really liking my 686+.
I'm leaning towards another revolver.

How would you round out my stable? HA!

My price limit is up to $1000.

I guess that begs the question- what's your flavor?

Different caliber?

Specific action/finish?

Type shooting

Just to have?

Seriously that's a very long list of recommendations without some narrowing

Originally Posted by ammolab
What's so special about a CZ 75?

Said the man who doesn't own one!

I know. Honestly, I had never heard of it til this thread. It must be very nice.

I bought one brand new and was not impressed, but it also was too small for my hand. 92FS fits much better and love it....
I still say Ruger 44 - stainless super Blackhawk....

FWIW I picked up a new model Ruger Super Blackhawk in the mid-70s. Loved the gun, loved to shoot it. Kick was very manageable and the thing could drive tacks. The only downside was other shooters in nearby lanes didn't seem to appreciate it.
In Alaska they consider it a lady's purse gun, lol.

A Dan Wesson 715 Revolver Pistol Pack is over your current budget but worth saving up for.

I'm in the gun shop now and I must say Colt looks the highest quality of any revolver. But at $1999 it provably should.

I'm in the gun shop now and I must say Colt looks the highest quality of any revolver. But at $1999 it provably should.

Pythons aren't for people with any sort of budget. Check out the other new Colts if they have one.

I love my Colt King Cobra .357 Mag I bought new in 1986 for $320. Colt makes nice revolvers, but the prices today are sky high.

Back