320K mileage - recommendations?

I just bought a 2003 Dodge Durango with a 4.7 V8... For $650. It runs decent, AC works, 4WD works, etc. The bad part is this thing has 320,000 on the clock. Unsure of it's past, but as I am maniacal about maintaining my vehicles (and even this beater), I want to make sure it is lubricated properly.

The manual calls for 5W30 or 10W30.

I found a 10W30 STP bottle under the seat, and theres an STP oil filter on the engine. I can imagine that's what the PO had been using.

Right now my plan is to change it with SuperTech High Mileage 10W30, add a quart of Lucas, and use a Fram Ultra Guard filter. I've read a lot of good things about Fram UG's here, and I use them on my other vehicles with good success. The filter media is what really caught my attention with them.

I considered going with 10W30 Pennzoil Platinum Syn, and doing 5,000 mile OCI's. Just afraid to pour syn in an engine with this many miles. It's already burning a little oil as it is, and drips a couple drops overnight according to the peice of cardboard I left underneath it last night.

What do the experts here recommend?

I'd forget the Lucas (or any additives for that matter) and just use a good name brand 10w30 conventional. Maybe a conventional 10w30 high mileage oil.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Minus the Lucas....great plan!

No Lucas it is.

SuperTech 10W30 High Mileage and the Fram Ultra Guard.

The oil pressure gauge on that rig is fake. As long as the engine is over 7 psi, the needle will sit in the same spot all the time, every time. If this were my rig I would put a mechanical pressure gauge on it and see what the hot idle and cruising oil pressure was. I'd make my oil choices based on that.

When you change the oil don't add anything and see what happens if it starts burning oil add some of the motor honey to thicken up the oil. Why the Fram XG filter? High mile oil is a good thing. Keep us informed.

Super Tech High Mileage 10 or 5W30 sounds like a good plan paired with the Fram. Another vote for -- NO Lucas. Get acouple bottles of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner while your there and apply -- per instructions on bottle. Good stuff!!
wink.gif

Dale

All Lucas does is make the oil thicker and dilute the additive pack. If you think you need a thicker oil then buy a thicker oil. Maybe 10w40 or a 15w40 HDEO

Originally Posted by joshuawesl
Originally Posted by gman2304
Minus the Lucas....great plan!

No Lucas it is.

SuperTech 10W30 High Mileage and the Fram Ultra Guard.

Then why ask the question of what other people think if you already have your mind totally made up with what you want to do ???

Nothing wrong with what you want to do in my opinion... It's your vehicle. Do what you want to...

Though I'd say in the winter I'd not recommend using any oil additive that thinkens the oil... Cold temp performance would be dropped if you do that.

Now in late spring going into summer... go for it. I have run straight 30 grade Warren Oil HD in my lady's 98 Camry.

I'd change all the fluids as well as the air filter and spark plugs. Check out the brakes. Basically, get to know your new vehicle.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Avoiding the Lucas is a good decision. If you want to inject some life back into the engine, use Restore compression repair, or Rislone compression repair. These are proven products that actually repair wear in the cylinder walls, increasing compression to near new levels. A engine with 300K+ on it is an ideal candidate.

https://rislone.com/product/compression-repair-with-ring-seal/

www.restoreusa.com

I thought Restore was one of those "no-no" kinds of additives?

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Avoiding the Lucas is a good decision. If you want to inject some life back into the engine, use Restore compression repair, or Rislone compression repair. These are proven products that actually repair wear in the cylinder walls, increasing compression to near new levels. A engine with 300K+ on it is an ideal candidate.

https://rislone.com/product/compression-repair-with-ring-seal/

www.restoreusa.com

I always thought it was fine as a Hail-Mary sort of thing--as in, it's using a quart every 50 miles, what the heck, I've got nothing to lose...

IMO, if you want to change the oil, go for it. But then just monitor. If it burns a qt per 100 miles, and it's not from leaking, a PCV valve or maybe valve seals, then no oil additive is going to fix. if it uses a quart per 1k or less, after 300k it's allowed to do that. Just run it. With over 300k on the clock it's "not worth anything" so I fail to see the need to spend lots of money & time on it--if it's your thing, fine, be happy, but it's hard to make a good justification for doing more than the minimum. Especially in a new-to-you vehicle, where you have no idea of what you just got (does it overheat on the highway? if you turn on the blinker do the headlights die? and other random failure modes).

Aren't 4.7's known for dropping valve seats? Or is that only if they overheat in the slightest?

Originally Posted by kschachn

But Lucas is okay?

It's easy to see why an "engine restorer" would be approached with more caution than your run-of-the-mill oil additive, especially one with as big of a name as Lucas has. Not everyone is as well read as many on here.

OP- As others have said, no additive is needed. Just run the Supertech you were planning on and the filter of your choosing. I would recommend taking care of your cooling system though. Those engines are pretty stout, but their achilles heel is being overheated. I

I guess I was just looking at it from the perspective that Restore would actually do something for a worn-out engine (albeit temporary), whereas the Lucas additive only dilutes a formulated motor oil.

Back