2020 Equinox 1.5t

I traded in my 15 Forester yesterday for 20 Equinox. Engine performance feels the same but it is much more comfortable. I was reading the manual and the turbo uses 0w20. I really think that's thin for a turbo. Anyone using 30 wt in these engines?

I'm sure there are others using different oils in their NOX's 1.5T however, my buddy is using 0W20 in his 2018 1.5T NOX in our WNY seasons without issues or noises. Keep in mind that 0W20 motor oil are built(if you will) very, very well today. They're not 0W20's from years ago.

ATMOF, the 1.5T is a very quiet engine & excellent fuel economy(when driven like a human being) and the Equinox's since 2010 & the 2018 redesign, have been one of, if not my favorite in this segment for its everydayness, quiet & comfortable interior, absorbent ride quality and general feel.

I like the GM's(Equinox/Terrain) for their everyday normalness, rather than their ultimate(or not) capabilities, the way the Forester, CR-V & CX-5 are. The Equinox is just an easy CUV to live with.

Good Luck with your new NOX

CB

Last edited:
Keep the 0w20 for warranty coverage. A few members here may lead you to which 0w20s are the highest @100 csts. I am not familiar with the 20 weights.

Enjoy your new ride. It just puzzles why you spend five years paying off the Subie - then not enjoy the rewards of having no more monthly payments. If you are trading-in every five years, then just run much cheaper NAPA or Supertech 0w20, or the little cheaper Quaker State or Castrol Magnatec Syns..

My 2019 VW Passat uses the 0w-20. Runs quite wll on that and gives great mileage. I drove it from central PA to Florida and back in mid-February and used no oil. I intend to stay with what the engineers recommend.

Best of luck you made a wise choice. Of course the equinox is more comfortable those Subaru's are all dated fleet junk is what Subaru's are.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Keep the 0w20 for warranty coverage. A few members here may lead you to which 0w20s are the highest @100 csts. I am not familiar with the 20 weights.

Enjoy your new ride. It just puzzles why you spend five years paying off the Subie - then not enjoy the rewards of having no more monthly payments. If you are trading-in every five years, then just run much cheaper NAPA or Supertech 0w20, or the little cheaper Quaker State or Castrol Magnatec Syns..

I hopefully will keep the car 10 yrs. so I will prob use a good oil Mobil extended or Castro extended. I was even thinking of looking into Amsoil or HPL.

hi impala08, thanks for sharing your story about old forester vs new equinox. please consider posting a longer review on the vehicles subforum here.

that does seem light for a turbo engine. You could go with 5W-20, which
would still run fine in the dead of winter.
Not a big fan of 20 weight oil to begin with. My turbo Mazda calls for 5W-30.
I'll bet in any other country, that engine would call for the 30 weight oil as well.

Choice is yours as they don't check the oil weight should you have a warranty
issue.
GM has had more than it's share of problems with 4 cylinder engines, so keep an
eye on it.

My 2¢

Use a d1g2 5w30 and fill up with premium
smile.gif

Is the 1.5T related to the 1.4T in the original Cruze?....that was a very good Opel designed engine but it had some issues
with the cooling system (coolant loss and odor.) I would imagine that's all been fixed by now.
PS: The 1.4T called for 5w30 dexos1....

A considerable number of cars with GDI, and especially those with turbo, call for 0w-20. I'd stick with that year round in your location.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
that does seem light for a turbo engine. You could go with 5W-20, which
would still run fine in the dead of winter.
Not a big fan of 20 weight oil to begin with. My turbo Mazda calls for 5W-30.
I'll bet in any other country, that engine would call for the 30 weight oil as well.

Choice is yours as they don't check the oil weight should you have a warranty
issue.
GM has had more than it's share of problems with 4 cylinder engines, so keep an
eye on it.

My 2¢

I checked Vauxhall with the same 1.5t and it uses 5w30. I also went to the Euro oil web sites and 5w30 is the oil of choose. I know with the Forester 0w20 was CAFE driven. I still have 3 - 5qt jugs of 0w20 laying around, maybe I'll use them between my car and mother in laws car before giving 30 wt a try. But I'm going to change factory fill at 2000 miles that will use 1 of 3 jugs.

Originally Posted by IMPALA08
I checked Vauxhall with the same 1.5t and it uses 5w30. I also went to the Euro oil web sites and 5w30 is the oil of choose. I know with the Forester 0w20 was CAFE driven. I still have 3 - 5qt jugs of 0w20 laying around, maybe I'll use them between my car and mother in laws car before giving 30 wt a try. But I'm going to change factory fill at 2000 miles that will use 1 of 3 jugs.

The middle sentence of your post says maybe. The last sentence says you will use your leftover 0w20.

That last sentence is your best resolve, unless your owners manual allows you to use 5w or 30s.What does your manual explicitly state? Ignore what this make and model is doing in other countries. You should be following the owners manual of this country. Follow the owners manual inside your glove box, provided that vehicle remains inside the USA..

There is nothing wrong with using a different weight approved for the exact same engine elsewhere in the world, the only difference being the lack of the CAFE constraints. Of course, to each his own on this but the only potential drawback is a slight drop in MPGs.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Best of luck you made a wise choice. Of course the equinox is more comfortable those Subaru's are all dated fleet junk is what Subaru's are.

from the frying pan to the fire. these 1.5 engines melt the pistons from the turbo

Back