2017 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi AMSoil and PUP

UAO from a friend's truck.
1st UOA @ 8K miles was AMSoil 0w-40
2nd UOA @7.2K miles was PUP 0w-40
He is currently running Scheaffer's but it will be a bit until he changes that oil.

Thoughts?

Untitled.png

Last edited:
3 UOA's with 3 oils doesn't help create a trend. Have him pick one if he continues UOA's and stick with it. I wouldn't go 10k on a Hemi or modern engine unless it lived on the highway.

And to be honest as Blackstone and others have repeatedly noted, within appropriately rated oils the UOA isn't even about the oil. It's about the equipment or operating environment.

Unless something is out of whack with the engine then all that UOA shows is that it is "fine", just as it would be "fine" with another oil.

Everything is good. The news is both protect and do a great job at it.

Plus 10K OCI's would dump a good working oil with a lot of life left.

Have no idea why he's changing so often when I'm guessing the truck is out of warranty anyway.
I guess he is just wanting to see where the numbers are for the the more 'popular' 0w-40 oils for the hemi.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Your friend likes to use top-shelf oils. Good for him. Tell him his 7k OCIs are ideal for this engine / timing chain.

You would do this site service if you posted factual information.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Your friend likes to use top-shelf oils. Good for him. Tell him his 7k OCIs are ideal for this engine / timing chain.

Move that to your Christmas Wishlist...and hope for a miracle.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And to be honest as Blackstone and others have repeatedly noted, within appropriately rated oils the UOA isn't even about the oil. It's about the equipment or operating environment.

Unless something is out of whack with the engine then all that UOA shows is that it is "fine", just as it would be "fine" with another oil.

+1

OP-What is the goal for flipping from one brand to the next and comparing results each time? IIRC it was mentioned several times here when changing brands to run the oil two full OCI's before getting a UOA for more accurate results. Either way I doubt there'll be much difference between the brands your friend is testing. FTR a few PPM +/- in wear metals between brands is meaningless.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

OP-What is the goal for flipping from one brand to the next and comparing results each time? IIRC it was mentioned several times here when changing brands to run the oil two full OCI's before getting a UOA for more accurate results. Either way I doubt there'll be much difference between the brands your friend is testing. FTR a few PPM +/- in wear metals between brands is meaningless.

I could guess, but I have no idea what his 'goal' is by changing oil every 8K miles but I can certainly ask him for you if you would like..

Originally Posted by Gondul

I could guess, but I have no idea what his 'goal' is by changing oil every 8K miles but I can certainly ask him for you if you would like..

The 8K OCI wasn't the question, it was running different oils for one OCI and a UOA at the end of the run. If his goal is to determine which oil is "best," he should run each oil at least two OCI's and do the UOA on the second run of the oil. Then change brands and repeat. The results will be a much more accurate representation of how the oil did since there will be a lot less residual oil from a prior brand mixed in. Some experts claim 3 runs before sampling is even better. That as we know that can take a long time. Once again people a lot more knowledgeable than me say a few PPM +/- in wear metals between brands is meaningless. But sometimes experiments like this are interesting to see.

Originally Posted by dave1251

There are many Ram threads here describing what I mentioned. Please take a look if interested.
Wait - you already know these threads exist. You took part in a few of them. So nevermind. You posted this for 'other' personal reasons.

777: why don't you stop "nitpicking" every factual post from others. How about YOU start posting these "threads" since you think you know all. 🤔🤔

Originally Posted by kschachn

Agreed. My opinion is that most oils that meet the same specifications are going to perform relatively similarly under a moderate operating environment. It's not until you push things into the extremes where you may start to see a benefit of one oil over another - ex - high temps, extreme cold, excessive fuel etc.

Both results look fine. I'd go with whatever is easier to obtain, whether he cares about actual approvals or whether there is a brand preference. Otherwise its a wash.

The PP is GTL/V based (not sure about the V with Pennzoil though)
Amsoil is PAO/V (10-14% estimated)

GTL is a fantastic base oil IMO. I'd put GTL up there with PAO.

The 8K OCI wasn't the question, it was running different oils for one OCI and a UOA at the end of the run. If his goal is to determine which oil is "best," he should run each oil at least two OCI's and do the UOA on the second run of the oil. Then change brands and repeat. The results will be a much more accurate representation of how the oil did since there will be a lot less residual oil from a prior brand mixed in. Some experts claim 3 runs before sampling is even better. That as we know that can take a long time. Once again people a lot more knowledgeable than me say a few PPM +/- in wear metals between brands is meaningless. But sometimes experiments like this are interesting to see.

I think is is to determine which is 'best'... I will let him know about the recommendation to run 2-3 OCIs on the same oil. Now that I know, I will do the same with my 6.4....thanks

Back