Need Jacks-Returned recalled HF last week.

I returned 3 sets of the recalled HF jacks and would like some suggestions on replacements. My problem is these jacks are probably sold under many different labels and I dont want to end up with the same jacks painted a different color. Without spending an arm and a let what options are out there that are close to the HF price without the potential of killing me? Please suggest brands or post links, thanks!

Originally Posted by cknight49090
which ones are bad I have an old 3 ton that's grey pittsburg ?

You need to look at model numbers. Its not the design but a batch were apparently not machined properly.

I'm buying the new HF stands when I return mine. The recalled ones were not made properly. Hopefully, the new stands were made properly and have less chance to fail. There's no guarantees in this life.

Last edited:
The new ones from HF are better than others now due to this issue. So honestly get the new HF ones or if you want to spend a lot more for a little extra safety get ones with pins in them. Just make sure to use the pins or you wasted your money. I have seen many not use them as it takes more time to put the pin in.

I was watching a show on TV where they were lifting an 8 ton lid off a mummy's tomb. The guy was laying under the lid looking into the tomb. It was being held up with jackstands and a strap. Hope they weren't HF jackstands. The Egyptians probably don't have a Harbor Freight store in Cairo, so I guess he's safe.

Hatt had linked to some good USA made ones last week. Gray Manufacturing, as I recall.

I have some US made OTC ones I bought maybe a decade ago. Not sure if they are still made.

I bought some Larin 3 ton jack stands that have a pin and a flatter top (still v shaped but very spread out). I was looking for flat but these were affordable and available.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Hatt had linked to some good USA made ones last week. Gray Manufacturing, as I recall.

I have some US made OTC ones I bought maybe a decade ago. Not sure if they are still made.

I wish I could have found the smaller Gray stands for sale online. They would be everything a shade tree wrencher would need.

US Jack, double pawl USA stands - https://www.jackxchange.com/products/D-41608.cfm

Hein Werner - Partially imported, partly USA. - https://www.jackxchange.com/products/HW93503.cfm

Sunex - pin style - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093NBQ7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_wem0Eb12YV7BZ

Or a ratchet type with secondary pin lock, many brands, one example - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074R17GL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_zhm0EbXRA8VGC

No substitute for using your brain and having a meticulous OCD checklist before lifting - pre inspecting the stands, having a secondary person in shouting distance, Chock the wheels, working on firm, flat surface, centered load, secondary backup support Method, making sure you don't have false engagement, test " bumping " your vehicle etc ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
I'm buying the new HF stands when I return mine. The recalled ones were not made properly. Hopefully, the new stands were made properly and have less chance to fail. There's no guarantees in this life.

You can buy jack stands that absolutely will not fail if used properly. No hope or philosophy needed, just $$$.

I'm cheap so I've always used wood. I've never thought cheap stands were a great concept.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Leo99

You can buy jack stands that absolutely will not fail if used properly. No hope or philosophy needed, just $$$.

I'm cheap so I've always used wood. I've never thought cheap stands were a great concept.

The story of Aeschylus comes to mind.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I just bought that OTC set, no longer US made (not itself a problem) but they look very poorly made (MUCH BIGGER problem)

Back