Tip When Cleaning Alcantara Steering Wheels No One Tells You About

While being cooped up I have been trying to make content by dropping knowledge where I can. Yes, it is a video, but you can see I don't just drop a video and dip. I genuinely provide input where I can.

This isn't clickbait or anything like that, it is a legit tip no detailer ever shares when it comes to cleaning an alcantara steering wheel.

Last edited:
I didn't think people with BMW keep their vehicles long enough to need clean the Alcantara steering wheel.

I have one in my Vette, but I don't eat hot wings while
driving so it looks like new and I haven't had to clean it.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

I clean my leather steering wheel about once every 2 to 3 months. I usually even wash my hands before diving, so they are always clean. Sweat and body oils still build up and need to be cleaned off.

I absolutely love my alcantara steering wheel in the Mustang, it was an incredible and very easy improvement over the stock leather wheel. I have the Sonax cleaner and need to give it a try.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

I clean my leather steering wheel about once every 2 to 3 months. I usually even wash my hands before diving, so they are always clean. Sweat and body oils still build up and need to be cleaned off.

I've only got 6,000 miles on it and don't eat in the car or anything so it stays clean, as far as I can tell. Maybe I'll try cleaning it and see what I'm missing.

I usually even wash my hands before diving, so they are always clean.

If you're going diving I wouldn't think it necessary
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by gregk24
OP, thank you for posting. I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from.

Thanks, yeah Idk, another guy commented on another of my posts to welcome be because he wasn't sure why people were being [censored] to me.

I don't have an alacantara wheel but the side bolsters (seat and seat back) and the head rests of the seats in my BMW have it. Holding up well so far. Perhaps need to think about cleaning them in the future. Driver's side seat bolsters are getting a bit "fuzzy" from sliding against them while getting in an out.

And to the haters: usually the mention of BMW brings them out for abs no reason; I've noticed this quite a bit. And to the poster who said BMW owners don't keep their vehicles long: I have been a member of several BMW forums online and most of them have BMWs with well over 150k miles and many over 200k. I **personally** know 2 BMW owners with cars over 200k miles (one is a 2004 5-series and the other one is a 2003 7-series)

Last edited:
I have both a high mileage BMW and a alcantara steering wheel. Not the same car. The alcantara Is in a Nissan Juke Nismo holds up well but eventually gets flattened and nothing you can do. Best is to dust with a microfiber and brush it weekly. Sonax Cleaner when necessary for any accidents. Have about 110k miles and still looks good. Not sure of any way to return the fuzziness of new.

Side note: The BMW has 190k miles and has had a ton of problems but is still fun to drive. It is wearing on me and will be gone if another big problem comes up.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
I have both a high mileage BMW and a alcantara steering wheel. Not the same car. The alcantara Is in a Nissan Juke Nismo holds up well but eventually gets flattened and nothing you can do. Best is to dust with a microfiber and brush it weekly. Sonax Cleaner when necessary for any accidents. Have about 110k miles and still looks good. Not sure of any way to return the fuzziness of new.

Side note: The BMW has 190k miles and has had a ton of problems but is still fun to drive. It is wearing on me and will be gone if another big problem comes up.

Juke Nismo has an alcantara wheel? Pics?

Back