Ford PVD Wheels Defects

Replaced the stock tires today
Apparently Ford has an issue with the PVD Chrome layer on the wheel. As you'll see the Chrome layer pulls away from the rim in random pieces and even inside the tire carcass it's self

NOT GOOD !!!

I paid extra for these wheels as an option !

782A183D-A55E-4009-935F-212B5A576FFF.jpeg

Man, that's just awful. Is your truck under warranty? I hope Ford can fix this. I've always been partial to painted alloys.

This is the very definition of a defect in material or workmanship. They will try and pass it off as an appearance issue and not want to cover it. Short of the rim rusting, chrome should never separate from properly preped steel.

Originally Posted by samven
This is the very definition of a defect in material or workmanship. They will try and pass it off as an appearance issue and not want to cover it. Short of the rim rusting, chrome should never separate from properly preped steel.

It's not chrome. Poly vinyl discharge...fake chrome plastic coating.

Originally Posted by LotI

OP, did the window sticker say your optional wheels were "chrome", or was it something made up like "bright finish"?

I'd be annoyed if that was my vehicle.

Scott

PVD stands for Physical Vapour Deposition. It's a great process done in a special chamber and can't peel off, so the process on these wheels is not PVD.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by LotI

OP, did the window sticker say your optional wheels were "chrome", or was it something made up like "bright finish"?

I'd be annoyed if that was my vehicle.

Scott

The sticker reads
Chrome PVD Aluminum Wheels-18

And yes ! I'm very [censored] !!!
I'm very picky about my vehicles

Been a known issue now for years. It was yet another reason I chose the wheels that came on my f150 to not deal with that... sorry!

Originally Posted by CatCam2
Here is an inside shot of my Ford F-150 PVD rims -- enough said!
mad.gif

[Linked Image from cimg8.ibsrv.net]

Not 100% pleased with some made in Mexico Ford wheels I recently acquired. They had what I consider a ton of weights, all near the valve stem. Replaced tires with new and same deal. Tons of weights near the valve stem. Ride and look good but, just seems odd to me.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Been a known issue now for years. It was yet another reason I chose the wheels that came on my f150 to not deal with that... sorry!

This is a first for me....I've owned several with this type wheel and never experienced this problem

Chrome wheels are a no-go once they started going to the "chrome clad" process. I've lost count of how many people come in thinking they just need a wheel cover and it turns out they need a $900+ wheel.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Chrome wheels are a no-go once they started going to the "chrome clad" process. I've lost count of how many people come in thinking they just need a wheel cover and it turns out they need a $900+ wheel.

So you've seen a lot of this issue ?

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Yup, tons and it isn't just Ford, its every manufacturer that uses the PVD process. Real chrome is fantastic, but this is not even close to real chrome.

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Yup, tons and it isn't just Ford, its every manufacturer that uses the PVD process. Real chrome is fantastic, but this is not even close to real chrome.

Is Ford doing anything about it as far as replacing wheels or anything to help the customers ?

It is annoying for what vehicles cost, but then vehicles are rapidly depreciating liabilities so I got to the point of not fretting the little things because it doesn't do any good.

Back