WSS-M2C946-B1 vs WSS-M2C961-A1

Good Evening Everyone,

So I recently acquired a 2012 F-150 with a 3.5L EcoBoost and while reading the owners manual I noted that the oil spec in the the manual is 5w30 WSS-M2C946-A (which I have since learned has been superseded by B1). I started looking at what oils would meet that spec and I really want to use Valvoline Red Bottle Maxlife. I've used that oil in the past and have always had a good experience with it.

I jumped on Valvoline's website and checked the PI Sheet for Maxlife and it says that it meets Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 (in addition to being API SP, etc). In fact according to Valvoline, all of their offerings meet that spec.

My google-fu has failed me so I turn to the collective wisdom of the hive mind here at BITOG. Is WSS-M2C961-A1 just the latest spec and fully backwards compatible with WSS-M2C946-B1 (and A)? What about this spec is different? And how does it relate to Dexos? (Yes I know my truck doesn't need dexos, but the 2012 Suburban my wife drives does and I would prefer to just keep one oil in the garage). I know Valvoline Red Bottle was able to meet the 1st Generation Dexos spec but Valvoline did not choose to seek that certification when it came to Generation 2, and I can see in this new SP rated oil that remains the case.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/dcefb479-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

So the long and the short of it is, I know I could go to a full synthetic oil, meet both specs (assuming 961 is backwards compatible with 946) and meet my goal of both trucks using the same oil, but I really want to go back to the Red Bottle, I've just had that good of an experience with it.

Anyway, I anxiously await your replies! Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope!

~T

The difference is the newer rating is supposed to be more like a Dexos type of a rating which is good. Yes use the oil,

Originally Posted by CT8
The difference is the newer rating is supposed to be more like a Dexos type of a rating which is good. Yes use the oil,

In the Suburban as well even though it doesn't carry the Dexos Cert anymore?

I think I would use it, but I would limit OCIs to 5000. For instance, the Express 3500 6.0 LS engine in my sig was serviced at Jiffy Lube by the PO using NON-Dexos rated dino QSAD 5W30, and I think he must have still followed the OLM, I have a bit of a sludge/carbon issue because of it. Obviously warranty is no longer a concern for either of us!

Read the manual closer and you'll see that the spec is just what Ford recommends. As far as requirements, they only "require" an SM or SN rated oil and a certain viscosity.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Read the manual closer and you'll see that the spec is just what Ford recommends. As far as requirements, they only "require" an SM or SN rated oil and a certain viscosity.

I fully understand that it is what is recommended. Perhaps I could've worded my original question better, at the end of the day I want to understand the difference between the specs.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
QSUD 5W-30
Synthetic for a Turbo every time !ðŸ‘

Thank you for the recommendation, I myself am not a big quaker state fan, and while I understand I could just go fully synthetic SP rated oil and be good, but at the end I want to understand the difference between the specs which if you read my original post is what I was asking about.

I only say QSUD is because I've used that oil a lot and that's what I used while owning my 2012 3.5L Ecoboost for 125K miles with zero issues and the owner of that truck now has used the same oil for another 3 plus years and still no issue
It's a good oil for the money for synthetic oil

Back