Waterfall Eco Dynamic tires

As a lockdown project I've been working on getting an old Saab 900 back on the road that's been sitting around for a long time, to the point where the tires on it were disintegrating from dry rot. I know all the warnings and bad experiences with cheap tires. However I don't know yet where this is going so I did not want to spend a fortune, just something so the car can be moved around and driven locally for now.

I considered used tires but that's really a crapshoot. I started looking around at less expensive tire lines and found "Waterfall Eco Dynamic" tires at Wal-Mart. Reviews were good and the tires were less than $35 each for the needed size. That's used tire price territory. A bonus is that they are NOT made in China - they are made in Turkey. So I took a chance and ordered a set online. Unfortunately due to the current pandemic it turns out the Wal-Mart stores (at least in my area) are not currently installing tires, despite huge "TIRE SALE!" signs plastered outside and inside the store. So I took them to a local service station that's been around forever for mounting and balancing. (Remember gas stations that actually serviced cars?
grin2.gif
) Cost a few bucks more than Wal-Mart would have charged but these guys actually know what they're doing.

So today I got enough done on it to take the car out for a fairly long ride and I'm pleasantly surprised at these inexpensive tires. They're quiet, smooth, and ride & handle well. In fact at first blush I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between these and the leading brands at least for normal driving. Of course I don't know yet how they'll grip in the wet and who knows how long they'll last, but I'm pretty happy with these budget doughnuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Bought some for my daughter's Accent. She has no complaints although I don't think they're going to be a long lasting tire.

I'm figuring they won't be long-wearing but aside from that they are better than I expected for the price. This car won't get much use anyway so I'm not too concerned about wear. They'll probably dry-rot before wearing out like the Goodyear tires that these replaced.

It's funny, I was thinking that back the bad old bias-ply days we usually didn't see much problem with dry rot because tires only lasted 10,000 to 20,000 miles - a year or two for most people. Today if you don't put a lot of miles on the tires they'll rot way before the tread wears out.

I replaced like for like Goodyear Eagle F1 AS today …
they were/are 45k tires and the old set had 53k with decent tread left for that …

In the last few days , I was thinking about tires for our 2015 Sonic . Figure they will need replacement in 6 - 12 months .

I was on Walmart.com looking at their tires . The " Waterfall " tires were one of the brands I looked at . I was wondering about them . So they are made in Turkey ? Not China ?

Will keep that in mind .

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted by spavel6
Would love to see pictures of the old Saab!

(From a fellow Saab owner)

It's nothing exotic, a 1986 900S (5-speed, no turbo) that had fallen into disuse. It has bad paint, some rust problems, shabby interior, and nearly 300,000 miles. Despite all this it's still tight and feels practically like new on the road even with these cheapie tires on it. Those old 900s were built like tanks. I don't have a photo handy, maybe will take one later.

China makes many more decent tires that are used in the United States that Turkey does. But if you sleep better at night knowing they are made there verses elsewhere.....well OK!

Many, many million miles on "Double Coin" tires and other China brands on the roads here-on semis.

I bought one of these tires for my 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS and have been running it for three weeks now. It seems okay but it is awful noisy. I don't know how to describe it better but the tite's rubber has this plastic look and feel to it.

Back