2016 Overland Jeep Wrangler Oil/Filter

Hi, Guys. It has been a long time for me on here. I have a 2016 Wrangler, that is modified on 35's and built as an overland rig. So, lots of weight. I have been trying to decide what the proper route is for a 20 weight oil. I have 20k miles on the Jeep. What do you guys think about the Supertech Full Synthetic with a ST filter? I am really meticulous about my vehicles, and plan on driving this for many years. I want to make sure I am doing the best I can. Was also looking at Castrol, Royal Purple, which I've heard has gone downhill, and considered Lucas Full Synthetic. Anyhow, I appreciate any opinions.

Cheers.

It is not a picky engine, nor hard on oil, just about any decent synthetic will perform well enough. For filters I like Napa Gold in mine.

I agree that the engine is good with any quality 5W20 oil. I use Pennzoil Platinum because it is only a few dollars more than standard Pennzoil 5W20 at Walmart. As for filters, I use the factory MOPAR filter. You can also get that at some Walmart stores. This engine's oil pressure will hit 100 psi on every cold start, and remain high until the coolant temperature reaches about 170 degrees. It seems to punish some filters. I am sure there are some others that will work fine, but for $9.00, the MOPAR filter isn't that expensive. I will post a picture later, of an O'Reilly Auto Parts MicroGard oil filter part number MGL10010 that was in a 2019 Dodge Caravan for about 100 miles next to a MOPAR filter that was in a 2017 Jeep wrangler for 5,000 miles. They share the same motor. It is pretty crazy.

Just over 100,000 miles on our JKU using 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum and ST filters with no issues.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far! I have read the motor isn't picky. Just want to make sure it also stays spotless under the cover.

Originally Posted by LC
Just over 100,000 miles on our JKU using 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum and ST filters with no issues.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LC
[Linked Image]

Looking good! What year? Have you had any issues with your Jeep?

2012 Not any serious issues. Just the usually things when you have a lift and big tires and some off-road abuse.
Ball Joints, axles bearings and steering parts. But there are plenty of Heavy duty after market parts that can take care of those issues.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I'm surprised none of the FCA haters haven't chimed in yet.

I've owned a lot of Jeeps. I've always loved them. I had two Gen3Toyota Tacoma's. Both had numerous issues. I'm not really brand loyal. Honestly, if I won the lottery, I would get a LR Defender 110, or Toyota 70 series Land cruiser Troopy.

But, in the meantime, I want to make sure I do everything to keep my Jeep running strong long term.

I have a Synergy setup with their springs and control arms and track bars. Had all that for maybe 65-70k now. Still using stock tie rod and drag link but with 85k on that stuff will probably need to be replaced soon. Stock ball joints still too, but I only run a 34" tire. Lots of time off road too I am surprised it has lasted this long.

MC stuff looks really nice

Coming from a lifetime Mobiil1 user (since @1976) I switched to SuperTech Synthetic last Spring (2019) and I like it better than the M1.

Originally Posted by LC
Yes, I have opened my wallet to many metalcloak parts.
LOL - I am doing the same. I have spent hours and hours researching and looking at different brands and Metal Cloak is the most heavy-duty stuff out there. Most, if not all, of their suspension components (tie-rods, trackbar, draglink, etc.) are all made of chrome-moly tubing that has 3/8" thick walls with full welds on all ends--a far cry from the 1/8" (maybe less) OEM stuff that has crimped ends).

Their skid plates are all 7 gauge steel and their axles covers are over 1/2" thick nodular iron. I just bought the tie-rod, trackbar, and draglink for my JLUR and previously picked up a FAD skid plate and a set of axle covers on the cheap. After I install the Baja Design lights, my next major project will likely be a 2.5" Metal Cloak Game Changer Lift kit.

Originally Posted by Since1941
What do you guys think about the Supertech Full Synthetic with a ST filter
The only issue that I have seen with the cartridge filters for the 3.6L Pentastar is that some of them are more prone to twisting than others and while that in and of itself is not a big deal, it does create the potential for media failure in non-backed media. The common denominator on the filters that twist seems to be the overall length. I measured and have used Mopar, Mahle, Hastings, WIX, and FRAM Ultra. The WIX is the longest filter of the bunch and the Mahle was the shortest. The Mahle did not twist nearly as much as the Mopar, WIX, and Hastings did. WIX XP and FRAM Ultra filters have backing in the media so that are very twist resistant.

FWIW...

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
What do you guys think about the Supertech Full Synthetic with a ST filter
The only issue that I have seen with the cartridge filters for the 3.6L Pentastar is that some of them are more prone to twisting than others and while that in and of itself is not a big deal, it does create the potential for media failure in non-backed media. The common denominator on the filters that twist seems to be the overall length. I measured and have used Mopar, Mahle, Hastings, WIX, and FRAM Ultra. The WIX is the longest filter of the bunch and the Mahle was the shortest. The Mahle did not twist nearly as much as the Mopar, WIX, and Hastings did. WIX XP and FRAM Ultra filters have backing in the media so that are very twist resistant.

FWIW...

Thank you for this! Do you feel the Fram Ultra is a good choice for this application? My Jeep is a 16 with 20,000 miles, so I still have some warranty. Don't want any dealer excuses if something abnormal happens.

Thank you for this! Do you feel the Fram Ultra is a good choice for this application? My Jeep is a 16 with 20,000 miles, so I still have some warranty. Don't want any dealer excuses if something abnormal happens.

From my point of view, the FRAM Ultra is the best filter for the price point and performance and will in no way impact your warranty. I have a 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty and am using them with no concerns.

From my point of view, the FRAM Ultra is the best filter for the price point and performance and will in no way impact your warranty. I have a 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty and am using them with no concerns.

Okay. How are you liking the Castrol in your Jeep? I've been considering Castrol and Royal Purple lately.

Use a similar efficiency rated oil filter, to that of the factory version. Until the warranty expires, do not use a noticeably less efficient, or a noticeably higher efficient oil filter.

Fiat Chrysler is well-aware of Fram oil filters. If they wanted the most efficient at the factory, your Jeep would have wore a Fram Ultra instead of a Mopar filter that day of birth.

Back