Infineum trends: Passenger vehicles (2019)

Excerpts:

GM dexos1 Gen 3, the JASO ultra-light viscosity GLV spec, and, yes, ILSAC GF-7 will follow.

Nathan Siebert and Josh Frederick share some insights on the next generation of specs.

Nathan Siebert: "To continue our great history of innovation, we will be launching a dexos1 Generation 3 later this year. A GF-7 specification will need to include better LSPI performance and lower ash levels to facilitate the introduction of gas particulate filters."

Josh Frederick: "If history is any indicator, there probably will be some category after GF-6 as we continue to look for more fuel efficiency, better protection for modern engines, potentially compatibility with gasoline particulate filters, and probably another need or two that we don't even foresee coming at this point."

Infineum trends: Passenger vehicles (2019)

Also see the previous thread about an Infineum automotive presentation.

Infineum worldwide automotive trends 2019 presentation

LSPI seems so rare. I'm surprised.
21.gif

Thanks for sharing.

"Later this year" gives me the impression they're not too pleased with GF-6. As if GF-6 had been delayed so many times, they had to release what they had. All very speculative for sure.

Ron explains the benefits for end users of GF-6.
Ron Romano: "ILSAC's pretty confident that we'll get a performance improvement out of GF-6. We feel the way we've set the limits we will get some improvement in durability. We're asking for an improvement in fuel economy; that was kind of one of the main reasons for going forward with GF-6. We realize that there probably is a tradeoff between durability and fuel economy, there always has in the past, so there shouldn't be any reason it's not going to be here today. But, with some of the parameters that are part of GF-6, we haven't asked for any improvements in performance with tests like the Seq. V for sludge protection. We're keeping the same requirement basically as we've got in GF-5 because we feel that the performance is acceptable there. We do have some new tests, like the LSPI test, and the chain wear test which we know will dramatically change the formulations that are going to be made for GF-6 compared to GF-5, a little closer to the SN Plus-type formulations. And we do realize that there could be some tradeoffs in fuel economy and protection because of some of those tests."

coffee2.gif

This presentation was from 2019 so it's a year old? Sounds like a lot of speculation about what GF-6 will perform like.

Nathan Siebert: "To continue our great history of innovation, we will be launching a dexos1 Generation 3 later this year. A GF-7 specification will need to include better LSPI performance and lower ash levels to facilitate the introduction of gas particulate filters." Obviously D1G3 didn't happen in 2019, and hasn't happened halfway through 2020. Not sure much of what is said in the presentation about GF-6 is even relevant because it hadn't even been released when this written. Or, am I missing something?

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
This presentation was from 2019 so it's a year old?

It is not a monthly magazine, you know. It is published once a year and we are not even halfway through 2020 yet.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
This presentation was from 2019 so it's a year old?

It is not a monthly magazine, you know. It is published once a year and we are not even halfway through 2020 yet.

I know that, it's a presentation from 2019 and I'm trying to understand when he says "we will be launching a dexos1 Generation 3 later this year." was he talking about 2019 or this year?

I know that, it's a presentation from 2019 and I'm trying to understand when he says "we will be launching a dexos1 Generation 3 later this year." was he talking about 2019 or this year?

They were trying to align GM dexos1 Gen 3 with ILSAC GF-6 launch, but it has somehow fallen behind. Here is more info.

Excerpt: "In October GM said it aimed to unveil the new spec in January, begin licensing during the second quarter and require all products promoted as meeting its spec to transition to Gen3 by Aug. 31 of next year."

GM releases dexos1 Gen 3 details

"Trade-offs between durability and fuel economy"...

I do not believe that 0w20s or 5w20s have led to any real meaningful or measurable loss in durability or longevity in these past 20 years...

But I will not be a part of sacrificing durability for fuel economy.

Not going to happen with my vehicles.

I quite like my Nissan Altima VQ with 308k miles that runs great still and have had no car payment for well over a year too.

"ILSAC's pretty confident that we'll get a performance improvement out of GF-6. We feel the way we've set the limits we will get some improvement in durability." This was a group of industry experts speculating last year on what to expect when GF-6 hits the market. Time will tell if they were correct or not.

Back