50 cal. shell

My wife found a loaded 50 caliber shell in her fathers foot locker. He was a retired Army Ranger with 3 Vietnam tours I think. Died a few years ago.

It looks impressive. Doubt we will ever own a 50 caliber gun to use it in.

What does one do with this kind of a shell? Get a little wooden case with a clear top and keep as a momento? Maybe somehow combine it with the folded flag we were given at his funeral?

Sua Sponte to the Ranger

In reality it is as safe as any other bullet of that age but being a memento subject to handling and in the interests of safety I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith or someone who reloads to have it safed by removing the powder and primer.

Then a good polish and clear coat might be a good idea for a presentation piece ( or leave it natural as fitting for the 'Nam and a Ranger)

My collection:

1) .458 Winchester Magnum (will kill an Elephant)
2) .50 Caliber
3) 37 mm (year 1916)

My Father bought the 37mm at some store in California around 1973 while on vacation.
The Primer is still good, but he had to tell the store clerk to remove the gun-powder.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The .458 WM is what Inspector Callahan used in the stakeout scene in Dirty Harry.
The 50 is everywhere. Hmmm...when did it debut?
Is this the 37mm shell used in the earliest tanks and lots of cannon? ...mentioned in "PT 109"?

Back