ADVANTA HPZ-01 (after three tires punctured at one-time)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Driving on a major 6 lane road this morning, i and about 5 other vehicles succumbed to hundreds of roofing nails within a two block distance
mad.gif
. Looks like a roofing truck dropped a box and we picked them up in our tires. Needless to say, i needed tires. Before they deflated significantly, i was able to make it to a Firestone franchise without doing any more damage. Because my wife and i are currently furloughed (still working but with a 20% pay-cut. No complaints as it could be much worse), i didn't want to spend money on expensive tires. I ended up getting Advanta HPZ-01 UHP, Chinese, 60K mile treadlife, 235/45/18, mounted and balanced "out-the-door" for $390. I will give a tire review after a 100 miles or so but so far, after 27, they are quiet at steady speed and over uneven pavement, and traction is decent enough in the dry. The price was very furlough friendly.

That sucks, also happened to me about 5 years ago.

My brother lives near Country Walk south of Kendall.

What road this this happen on so I can warn him ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
That sucks, also happened to me about 5 years ago.

My brother lives near Country Walk south of Kendall.

What road this this happen on so I can warn him ?

Just outside the Zoo Miami entrance on 152 street, so about a mile from Country Walk at 6:45AM. Yeah, it does suck but these dang cheap-o tires are quieter than the Conti's were for the entire 12K miles they were in use. But again, very early in the game to draw conclusions. The Firestone is on 12005 sw 129 ct. East of Costco and west of Publix on 120th...in case it happens to him.

Once i get a chance, i'll post some picks of the HPZ-01 tread pattern etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
That's awful. Glad you found something reasonably priced.

Were the OEM tires any good or are you glad they're gone?

Honestly, i had no complaints except for being a bit noisy. Now that i'm experiencing a different tire on the same car, back to back, i do consider these quieter in the 27 miles driven. Comparing anything else would be premature at this point since i haven't pushed the car nor driven in the rain yet. Fingers crossed.

Tough luck with the furlough and the nails. Does the car require UHP tires? If so, then that certainly limits options.

Looking forward to the updates. IIRC, in Florida it is hydroplaning performance that matters most. Not expecting any snow performance reports.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
That's awful. Glad you found something reasonably priced.

Were the OEM tires any good or are you glad they're gone?

Honestly, i had no complaints except for being a bit noisy. Now that i'm experiencing a different tire on the same car, back to back, i do consider these quieter in the 27 miles driven. Comparing anything else would be premature at this point since i haven't pushed the car nor driven in the rain yet. Fingers crossed.

Ok, I've put close 100 miles on them and the differences I chaulk up to these being UHP vs All Season. They handle, stop and accelerate noticeably better than the Continental. Again, how they wear and inclement weather is still up in the air. I gotta admit , I wasn't expecting this level of performance from a Chinese tire...shame on me.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Tough luck with the furlough and the nails. Does the car require UHP tires? If so, then that certainly limits options.

Looking forward to the updates. IIRC, in Florida it is hydroplaning performance that matters most. Not expecting any snow performance reports.

Thanks. No, not required. Yeah, the hydroplaning characteristics will be important.

Advanta's are not bad tires at all. I have a Sequoia that I bought used from a Toyota dealer who installed a brand new set of all season Advanta's on it. I was sure they would be crap and I would have to pony up for new tires, but now, almost two years later, i have to say that they are actually excellent tires. They are quiet, smooth, wearing well, and traction is very good in snow and rain. Mine were made in Thailand.

I think you will be happy with them

Originally Posted by twoheeldrive
Advanta's are not bad tires at all. I have a Sequoia that I bought used from a Toyota dealer who installed a brand new set of all season Advanta's on it. I was sure they would be crap and I would have to pony up for new tires, but now, almost two years later, i have to say that they are actually excellent tires. They are quiet, smooth, wearing well, and traction is very good in snow and rain. Mine were made in Thailand.

I think you will be happy with them

ðŸ‘

Back