Post Your Latest Power Steering Fluid Change

2013 Mazda 6
Yearly 1 quart siphon change.
Out mix of old, mostly RP Max.
Added 1 quart of Amsoil SS ATF.
Formerly used Royal Purple Max ATF for this but is no longer readily available.

Neighbor's 2010 Honda Accord

OUT: Turkey bastered the reservoir WHICH HAD BEEN FILLED TO THE TOP (20 oz. out)
IN: Honda PS fluid to the correct level (12 oz. in)

NOTE: The over-filled reservoir apparently didn't allow for any "debubbling". The pump growled. Also, heat expanded fluid had leaked out.
It was a small mess.
Now the pump runs silently as it should. We should be grateful no damage occurred.

This was yesterday and the vehicle's owner wasn't going to drive it until today. I see he and the Mrs. are out and about.
No doubt the silently running power steering will blow them away.

They like to go up to a big commercial bakery. I'll bet they are bringing me a loaf of bread....and some rolls.

2005 Ford Freestyle

Sucked out reservoir with siphon hand pump.

Out: Don't remember

In: Mobil 1 ATF

Will repeat in a week or so.

2013 Traverse out factory, in Shaffer's Dex VI. No more creaks and groans from the steering rack or pump whine. Good stuff.

1998 Camry LS 4 banger
Sucked the reservoir dry and refilled twice with Maxlife.
I know, that's cheating. But the fluid was much better than I expected it to be.
Steers very well... All good.

2015 Toyota Tacoma.

Suck and fill every OC (5K).

Out: Maxlife ATF

In: Maxlife ATF

Last edited:
2008 Acura TL in signature

Out -- Honda Genuine PS Fluid -- Turkey Baster method

In -- Honda Genuine PS Fluid

Nice and quiet!!!
wink.gif

2018 F250
Swapped out fluid with a quart of Redline PS fluid.
So far it’s calmed down the whine.

2003 dodge ram 2500
Followed a cummins forum procedure on it, but basically truck has 170k miles and pump whined badly, brown color with old rubber gaskets and peices of whatever came out, I opened two hoses that were connected to the power steering cooler on the bottom of the truck, then refilled and all was good!

2013 BMW 750ix 85k miles. Out: 2 quarts oem, in: 2 quarts Pentosin CHF11S. Bought 2 quarts New oil and pumped out 0.7 quart ish 3 times with 2-3 days interval. The old oil was very dark. IMG_20191001_174044.jpg

Back