Mazda b4000 to the junkyard

I stumbled across ZZman's deer thread and realized i have a very recent experience too. While driving home from a fishing trip on the major highway here at about 9:30 a big ol buck ran in front of my b4000 at full speed. I was driving about 70 mph at the time and in situations like that there is nothing you can do other than brace and try to keep in on the road. I smashed into the deer and it left the entire front end of my truck dented in and the radiator pouring out fluid on the highway. Sat there for almost two hours waiting for my ride back to town. The deer did not survive this but no carcass tag was able to be acquired in a timely manner so it is still laying there.

Be careful and watch your surroundings. I only lost my 27 year old pickup so that's not a huge deal but the majority of y'all drive vehicles much more valuable than that so watch your surroundings and install a pushbar.

Sorry to hear. At least you are OK. A friend of mine had a collision with a deer in a Mazda pickup, much like yours. He almost got killed. I remember his head being all stitched up.

Sweet!
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
I stumbled across ZZman's deer thread and realized i have a very recent experience too. While driving home from a fishing trip on the major highway here at about 9:30 a big ol buck ran in front of my b4000 at full speed. I was driving about 70 mph at the time and in situations like that there is nothing you can do other than brace and try to keep in on the road. I smashed into the deer and it left the entire front end of my truck dented in and the radiator pouring out fluid on the highway. Sat there for almost two hours waiting for my ride back to town. The deer did not survive this but no carcass tag was able to be acquired in a timely manner so it is still laying there.

Be careful and watch your surroundings. I only lost my 27 year old pickup so that's not a huge deal but the majority of y'all drive vehicles much more valuable than that so watch your surroundings and install a pushbar.

Very glad the deer was the only injury . It could have very well gone VERY bad for you .

If only they made motorcycle pushbars.

sorry about your loss, a good old truck becomes a member of the family.

RIP B2000

Be prepared to panic brake at sticks in the shoulder and shiny things that look like eyes.

Rod

I hit one with the Subaru last year. Or at least I think that's what it was. Ended up calling the non emergency line and said I hit something on the highway, don't know what it was. Ended up with no damage to my car, but State, County and Local officials showed up.

And carfax says my car was in an accident

Your '93 B4000 is the Ford Ranger or were they different vehicles back then?
Sell any parts on Ranger-Forum or Therangerstation; both are good websites

So glad you're OK.

Never heard the term pushbar before. Bull bar and roo-bars (from Australia) but not pushbar.

My question is: Shouldn't they be installed away from the car's front as possible?
I realize there's no way to prevent all damage but these bars are always just 1/2" away from the body.

This was just west of Eureka Kansas. Right where the passing lane begins for those who frequent the area. I can be very happy that this happened in my truck and that the front face of it just pushed the deer forward and to the side. Had this happened in my tiburon it'd surely had come through the windshield. I've had bad luck with my truck on that route too, had my wheel fall off at a similar speed just past El Dorado last July.

What I'll miss the most is these ford 4.0 engines had a crankcase capacity of 5 quarts on the dot with a filter change and man did that make life easy.

Talk about being lucky..... I've done deer rear-end scrapes a couple times. Just enough to spin the deer around between 180-360 degrees with my 1990s vehicle-style bumper. Mine were on 55mph two lane highways.

Anytime we are driving narrow highways and a deer crosses in front of us, keep that wheel straight and hit the deer, instead of a tree trunk to the right-side of the road.

Tens of thousands of Michiganders have died from swerving from an oncoming deer - then hitting something else, when leaving the highway pavement.

Sorry to hear about your truck, but glad you are okay. If you were local I would have been interested in buying it as a parts vehicle.

A collision is my biggest fear with my older trucks, especially with the Explorer which has a lot of parts that are 91-94 specific.

What I'll miss the most is these ford 4.0 engines had a crankcase capacity of 5 quarts on the dot with a filter change and man did that make life easy.

Agree, that was a beautiful thing.

And remember deer often travel in groups. If you see one that is located in an area that it is no a concern to you hitting it or it hitting you, slow down immediately because there is a good chance there are others and some of them may be just about to run out infront of you.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Talk about being lucky..... I've done deer rear-end scrapes a couple times. Just enough to spin the deer around between 180-360 degrees with my 1990s vehicle-style bumper. Mine were on 55mph two lane highways.

Anytime we are driving narrow highways and a deer crosses in front of us, keep that wheel straight and hit the deer, instead of a tree trunk to the right-side of the road.

Tens of thousands of Michiganders have died from swerving from an oncoming deer - then hitting something else, when leaving the highway pavement.

This is a great, great post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stay on the pavement.....

Hitting a deer is light years better than hitting a good sized tree at 60+ mph....

I smashed into the deer and it left the entire front end of my truck dented in and the radiator pouring out fluid on the highway.

Pics please!!

This thread is useless without pics!

Originally Posted by DBMaster
In '93 Mazda was selling re-badged Ford Rangers, yes.

1994 was the first model year that the Mazda B-Series was a rebadged Ranger. 1993 and older were totally different trucks. OP said his is a '94, so it's a Ranger.

Back