Slow drivers in fast (left) lane on freeway

Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I feel much the same as everyone. With that said, it is true, technically if they are doing the speed limit they are not doing anything wrong unless your state has a left lane is for passing law.

I am not sure that there are any states that don't say that you're supposed to keep right unless you're passing. Let me know if you can list any.

Okay!

https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Interesting. Only 5 then. Must be out those guys from out state that do it here then although many of them have local plates.

From link-

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:
Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.
Enforcement is inconsistent.
Toledo police used to ticket truck drivers for driving at the 60 MPH speed limit in the left lane. Police looking for criminal activity frequently use the "keep right" law as a pretext to stop a suspicious car. On the other hand, a New York judge announced that he would not convict drivers for blocking speeding traffic, People v. Ilieveski, 175 Misc. 2d 943; 670 N.Y.S.2d 1004 (Monroe County N.Y. 1998).

In the Keep Right? column, the key word appears often as YEILD, SLOWER, SL, YES.
All of those have a definition to the right of that, Some form of; slower stay right, stay right to allow faster traffic to pass, stay right if at or below the speed limit and a few others.

Last edited:
Safe to say this is an endless (and pointless) debate, there is no one correct answer because every state is different.
Keep in mind the stuff being said in this thread pertains to a time when some vehicles (or the driver) were not capable of going the full speed limit.
You all to know the meaning of "limit" correct? *L*

The speed limit is the fastest you are allowed to go, not the slowest. So vehicles going slower then the limit should stay to the right in many states. Typically on interstates the slowest speed allowed is around 20 mph less then the full speed limit and in most all states one must stay to the left, or risk a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

This does not mean you area allowed to exceed the speed "limit" by driving in the left lane. :eek:) Believe it or not, you can get a ticket for that. :eek:)

Last edited:
The speed limit is the fastest you are allowed to go, not the slowest. So vehicles going slower then the limit should stay to the right in many states. Typically on interstates the slowest speed allowed is around 20 mph less then the full speed limit and in most all states one must stay to the left, or risk a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

This does not mean you area allowed to exceed the speed "limit" by driving in the left lane. :eek:) Believe it or not, you can get a ticket for that. :eek:)

I'll take my chances...

The owner of a local driving school with whom I became acquainted told me that, in Texas, unless there is signage stating that the left lane is for passing only, it's not. I only see those signs on the long stretches of interstate highway between the major metro areas. Unfortunately, it's a universally ignored courtesy everywhere else, especially when it's raining. I see people enter the highway and shoot straight over to the left lane for presumably lower stress driving - for them. I must be an outlier because I extend that courtesy no matter what kind of multi lane road I am on. Selfishness and ignorance continue to rule the day.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I'll take my chances...

We all do :eek:)

Originally Posted by DBMaster
The owner of a local driving school with whom I became acquainted told me that, in Texas, unless there is signage stating that the left lane is for passing only, it's not. I only see those signs on the long stretches of interstate highway between the major metro areas. Unfortunately, it's a universally ignored courtesy everywhere else, especially when it's raining. I see people enter the highway and shoot straight over to the left lane for presumably lower stress driving - for them. I must be an outlier because I extend that courtesy no matter what kind of multi lane road I am on. Selfishness and ignorance continue to rule the day.
There are "left lane for passing only" signs along most state and federal highways in Texas that have speed limits of 65 or higher. It doesn't matter. I see people every day that hang the left lane for mile upon mile passing sign after sign, ignoring every one of them. They should have their licenses taken away! I have a friend that does this, I hollered at him for doing it every time I rode with him. It didn't matter, he stayed right where he was. I won't ride with him anymore, he rides with me, and I demonstrate the correct (and LEGAL) way to drive every chance I get, and he chides me for changing lanes too often. Some people will NEVER get it.

Originally Posted by wag123
There are "left lane for passing only" signs along most state and federal highways in Texas that have speed limits of 65 or higher. It doesn't matter. I see people every day that hang the left lane for mile upon mile passing sign after sign, ignoring every one of them. They should have their licenses taken away! I have a friend that does this, I hollered at him for doing it every time I rode with him. It didn't matter, he stayed right where he was. I won't ride with him anymore, he rides with me, and I demonstrate the correct (and LEGAL) way to drive every chance I get, and he chides me for changing lanes too often. Some people will NEVER get it.

I taught my kids correctly on this driving topic. My daughter was returning to school in College Station on I45 and accidentally hung in the left lane too long and got pulled over for incorrect use of the left lane. She only got a warning, but I was actually happy to hear that there is some degree of enforcement. I45 is a lot better than I35 in that regard. But, like you, wag, We definitely have a problem in this state with that. Lots of brainlessness out there.

I taught my kids correctly on this driving topic. My daughter was returning to school in College Station on I45 and accidentally hung in the left lane too long and got pulled over for incorrect use of the left lane. She only got a warning, but I was actually happy to hear that there is some degree of enforcement. I45 is a lot better than I35 in that regard. But, like you, wag, We definitely have a problem in this state with that. Lots of brainlessness out there.

My best friend got a ticket for cruising in the left lane somewhere between Itasca and Alvarado.

I taught my kids correctly on this driving topic.

Ugh, I hadn't thought about that--my kids are pretty literal. Maybe it'll be best if they don't take up driving after all... I mean, if you can't pass on the right you can't drive in MA. If you can't go with the flow of traffic (which is to say, exceed the limit) then you are not going to be able to take left lane exits. If you can't accept that others will break the law and/or do unexpected things then it's best not to hit the road.

I mean, I plan to teach them to pass safely and to not be left lane bandits and so forth--but you have to admit, there are times where you cannot obey the limit and use a left lane exit. There are times where the right lane becomes exit-only and you are going to have to move left, and if you are the slowest vehicle on the road...

Simple rule-of-thumb: if you're in the far left lane on a multi-lane road and someone's riding your tail, move to the right when you're able. If you're in the far right lane and someone is riding your tail, sucks to be them - that's why there are other lanes.

Leave the law-enforcement to the professionals.

Many years ago I took a defensive driving course to get a ticket dismissed. The gentleman giving the course was an off duty Texas DPS State Patrol Trooper. He taught that the safest and most defensive way to drive on the highway is to move with the flow of traffic. If the flow of traffic is 70 mph where 55 mph is the posted speed limit, you go 70. If the the flow of traffic is 40 mph where 55 mph is the posted speed limit, you go 40. As a law enforcement officer, he said that he was more inclined to pull someone over who was not doing this, regardless of the posted speed limit.

Many years ago I took a defensive driving course to get a ticket dismissed. The gentleman giving the course was an off duty Texas DPS State Patrol Trooper. He taught that the safest and most defensive way to drive on the highway is to move with the flow of traffic. If the flow of traffic is 70 mph where 55 mph is the posted speed limit, you go 70. If the the flow of traffic is 40 mph where 55 mph is the posted speed limit, you go 40. As a law enforcement officer, he said that he was more inclined to pull someone over who was not doing this, regardless of the posted speed limit.

It's basically the variation in speed that's dangerous. That's what clueless drivers don't get. Much more dangerous to have a fast driver switching lanes than have everyone going at the same speed. They might cite some law that may or may not exist, but that doesn't stop you from getting killed because the variation in speed was too much. Doesn't matter who is at fault if you're dead.

Originally Posted by supton
I taught my kids correctly on this driving topic.

Ugh, I hadn't thought about that--my kids are pretty literal. Maybe it'll be best if they don't take up driving after all... I mean, if you can't pass on the right you can't drive in MA. If you can't go with the flow of traffic (which is to say, exceed the limit) then you are not going to be able to take left lane exits. If you can't accept that others will break the law and/or do unexpected things then it's best not to hit the road.

I mean, I plan to teach them to pass safely and to not be left lane bandits and so forth--but you have to admit, there are times where you cannot obey the limit and use a left lane exit. There are times where the right lane becomes exit-only and you are going to have to move left, and if you are the slowest vehicle on the road...

I know what you mean. It was very scary loosing my kids on the roads around here. They now both live in the Northeast. I taught them to do things the way I think they should be done like turning into the correct lane (right lane for right turns, left lane for left turns), trying to always pass on the left (unless you have to pass a left lane squatter), signaling maneuvers, entering the highway at HIGHWAY speed (not 40 mph), etc. I've seen guys in dually pickups make right turns into the right lane. If they can do it, what's everybody else's excuse?

Originally Posted by Wolf359

It's basically the variation in speed that's dangerous. That's what clueless drivers don't get. Much more dangerous to have a fast driver switching lanes than have everyone going at the same speed. They might cite some law that may or may not exist, but that doesn't stop you from getting killed because the variation in speed was too much. Doesn't matter who is at fault if you're dead.

True to a good degree Wolf....

Variation in speed is a very big contributor to accidents on a limited access highway.

Question is how much variation is too high a variation ??

10 mph?? 15 mph?? 20 mph ?? 25 mph plus??

I'd say maybe 15 mph or more variation/higher...

If more or less everyone is going 70-74 mph... Someone going 85-89 is going to cause trouble in my opinion.

15 mph is a big difference... Go back and watch NASCAR races at Darlington... New tires on cars had them going way faster aka 15 mph faster average lap speed vs other cars on old 45 lap tires going 15 mph slower. And many wrecks happened during 4 tire change pit cycles...

I just lucky-a-- guessed that for years probably and has been my method.
Being an outlier in that description of travel just seems so logically wrong and "in the way".
It's nice though to confirm intuition is a good bet.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Hermann
The OP is really not a patient person.
grin.gif

This another "get out my way so I can speed" thread...

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by mk378
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

State trooper should of pulled the person over and issue a ticket.

The civic driver was too oblivious to notice the state trooper in the rear view mirror.

For breaking which law? And turning the lights on and chasing a car when there is no legal basis or intention to write a ticket should be written up.

A police car with the emergency lights off has the same legal rights and obligations in traffic as any other car. Pragmatically, yes it's highly advisable to stay out of its way.

The car in the left lane was going fast enough to actively pass traffic in the second to the left lane. Is the standard now that you have to be going faster than the car behind you at all times?

Camera guy's passenger was concerned that he was speeding up and passing cars on the right to keep filming.

NJ Statute Section 39:4-88

Most of the states have a "Keep right, pass left law".

Driving slow in the left lane is acceptable you're taking a left lane exit, which there isn't too many of those in NJ

Which statute covers the speed limit? I doubt it says driving over the speed limit is acceptable as long as you are in the fast lane...

Back