My new Henry 22 Magnum rifle

While in Florida this last week or so my son bought me the Henry 22 magnum Golden Boy rifle. The lever action is very smooth and I am well pleased with trim and fit of all the parts.

Nice! Just make sure you check up on the legality of gifted firearms before you take it to your home state. You might need to involve a federal firearms dealer to transfer it so as not to run afoul of straw purchase laws.

How about a pic? That's one great son.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by ripcord
Nice! Just make sure you check up on the legality of gifted firearms before you take it to your home state. You might need to involve a federal firearms dealer to transfer it so as not to run afoul of straw purchase laws.

That's excellent tig but

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by ripcord

That's excellent tig but

MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS

Nice rifle, agree pictures would be cool. Good son.

At least under federal law a gift is perfectly legal (there are some requirements for it to qualify as a gift) so "straw purchase" is not your concern, it is interstate transfer.

https://www.nssf.org/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

Henry makes a very nice rifle. Congrats.

Since you live in Illinois, you have quite a few restrictions. Be certain you're legal with the gift.

Congratulations, nice rifle and a good son.
I've always liked the 22 Mag as a cartridge it's a nice step up from the 22 Long Rifle, but not as loud or expensive as centre fire rifle ammo.

Last edited:
Hope there are no legal problems .

I am cheap and the .22 Mag ammo always seemed to expensive for my tastes . But , that is just me .

I have a small collection of center fire lever guns , but none in rim fire .

Best of luck to you . :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Hope there are no legal problems .

I am cheap and the .22 Mag ammo always seemed to expensive for my tastes . But , that is just me .

I have a small collection of center fire lever guns , but none in rim fire .

Best of luck to you . :)

I get that the price of 22WMR is fairly high. However I truly believe many people fail to recognize that you probably won't go through thousands of rounds per year in a lever action gun. I have a backyard range and there is no question I shoot more 22LR than anything else. I don't shoot much 50 Beowulf, not because it's $2/rd but because that's not the gun for 1000's of rounds per week.

I might shoot 10 rounds of 50, or maybe just one or two.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Henry makes a very nice rifle. Congrats.

Since you live in Illinois, you have quite a few restrictions. Be certain you're legal with the gift.

One of them is the FOID card we have to have in Illinoisstan. Mine expired many years ago so I plan to have a local arms dealer do the app for me. They take the pic as well. They will also tell me all the hoops I must jump through as well.

Originally Posted by SR5
Congratulations, nice rifle and a good son.
I've always liked the 22 Mag as a cartridge it's a nice step up from the 22 Long Rifle, but not as loud or expensive as center fire rifle ammo.

I agree. Cost of amo isn't an issue and I won't be shooting very often.

tig1, nice gift from a nice son. 22wmr is an underappreciated round, especially out of a rifle. plus, as a rimfire a 22wmr rifle is exempted from many unfree states' restrictions. don't let $12/50 rounds deter you from enjoying it alot, and please give us a shooting range review when you can. be sure to wear ear protection when shooting 22wmr.

one of my absolute favorite firearms is a 5.5" ruger single six 22lr/wmr single action revolver. i'm way more accurate than i deserve shooting the 22wmr cylinder. the 22wmr's extra oomph is still very comfortable. adding accuracy to oomph makes my 22wmr handy for home protection, not the strongest, but truly handy.

if you can knee cap the intruder a 22wmr stops them from getting anywhere fast

Last edited:
Went to my local gun shop today and they filled out all the paper work(computer work with a pic of me) for the Illinoistan FOID card. They said it's taking about 2 months to get that. Then my son will go to his shop in Florida and have it shipped to my local shop. Both are FFL shops.

Back