1970 Cub Cadet Model 73 with Cizek Mower

These Cizek front mounted, belt powered mowers are very rare. It was test fitted this week onto a nice Model 73. The tractor and mower will now be completed disassembled and restored back to New Condition.

The tractor will be completely "loaded" with lights, fenders, creeper gear, rear PTO, true IH dual rear wheels, rear hitch, and a hydraulic lift.

received_269423004255248.jpeg

Cool!

I followed all that is Cub Cadet for some time and I didn't know this attachment existed.

That's sweet.
I had that tractor, 10hp Kohler IIRC back in the 70s, traded up to a WheelHorse 20hp hydro in the 90s, and unfortunately threw it in on a house deal, bought a JD345 and it's costing me more than a BMW to keep running.

Very nice, unsafe for bystanders but nice. Would work nice for higher grass but couldn't do the job of a brush hog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Very nice, unsafe for bystanders but nice. Would work nice for higher grass but couldn't do the job of a brush hog.

Probably why it is a rare attachment, but I could definitely see their use as a mower for tall grass in areas that are hard to get to or not cut very often. I use a Gravely walk behind with a 30" brush deck and 3/8" thick blade for this type of work.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
bought a JD345 and it's costing me more than a BMW to keep running.

I owned a 345 and other than the absurd plastic cam gear Kawasaki used, it was a good machine?

Originally Posted by TurboLuver

I owned a 345 and other than the absurd plastic cam gear Kawasaki used, it was a good m, chine?

I've had all kinds of random stuff fail on the engine, oil leaks on the engine and hydrostatic trans, failures on the electrical system (circuit boards, ignition switch, etc) and parts breaking on the mower deck. I will say JD parts are readily available but priced sky high - literally like BMW stuff. I do all my own labor, if I had to pay somebody to do it I would have gotten rid of it long ago. I would never buy another JD machine, that WH 520 (Onan 20hp, hydrostatic trans) ran a similar amount of hours (600 or so) without any problems at all and it's still going strong 10 years later from what the guy told me.

Was is that version of the liquid cooled Kawasaki in the JD 345's that also had the leaky water pump issues?

I might be mixing up my Kawis given I haven't followed this stuff lately, but I recall one of them being such a problem that you couldn't find replacement water pumps anymore.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver

I owned a 345 and other than the absurd plastic cam gear Kawasaki used, it was a good m, chine?

I've had all kinds of random stuff fail on the engine, oil leaks on the engine and hydrostatic trans, failures on the electrical system (circuit boards, ignition switch, etc) and parts breaking on the mower deck. I will say JD parts are readily available but priced sky high - literally like BMW stuff. I do all my own labor, if I had to pay somebody to do it I would have gotten rid of it long ago. I would never buy another JD machine, that WH 520 (Onan 20hp, hydrostatic trans) ran a similar amount of hours (600 or so) without any problems at all and it's still going strong 10 years later from what the guy told me.

I don't doubt it, there are a ton of electronics in those newer Deeres. A Wheel Horse is a pretty simple and solid beast.

So, the tractor is completely restored. EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE has been added to this Cub Cadet 73: Headlights, fenders, amp meter, creeper gear, hydraulic lift, and rear PTO. And if that isn't enough, after asking all the experts for months, and searching all over the internet, just ONE other of these Cizek Front Mounted Weed Cutters can be found.
It's a really rare attachment.

73 Down.jpg
73 Lifted.jpg
73 Rear.jpg

So, the tractor is completely restored. EVERY OPTION AVAILABLE has been added to this Cub Cadet 73: Headlights, fenders, amp meter, creeper gear, hydraulic lift, and rear PTO. And if that isn't enough, after asking all the experts for months, and searching all over the internet, just ONE other of these Cizek Front Mounted Weed Cutters can be found.
It's a really rare attachment.

View attachment 31016View attachment 31017View attachment 31018
Wow that's nice! I bet that thing is a cutting fool!

Back