2017 Audi A4 PCV Valve replacement

Replaced the PCV valve, or Oil Separator as Audi calls it today. Very easily done as all that needs to be removed is the coils on cylinders 3 and 4 and about 8 triple square screws. At 73k miles the internal parts looks very good. 10k mile oci and Ravenol RUP 5w-40 seems to be agreeing with the engine. Took about 40 minutes total.

20200528_172317.jpg

20200528_172328.jpg

20200528_172345.jpg

It is a shame what used to take minutes to do now takes 40 minutes. They don't teach common sense anymore.

Purely preventive maintenance. No misfires at all. A little bored with the Covid19 time on my hands. Not eating oil either. Vehicle has never shown less than full on the MMI screen. Obdeleven indicates that the oil level has always been btwn 104 to 98 percent full.

Purely preventive maintenance. No misfires at all. A little bored with the Covid19 time on my hands. Not eating oil either. Vehicle has never shown less than full on the MMI screen. Obdeleven indicates that the oil level has always been btwn 104 to 98 percent full.

Originally Posted by Lubener
It is a shame what used to take minutes to do now takes 40 minutes. They don't teach common sense anymore.

To be fair the part is more than just a vent for the crankcase. It also condenses any oil vapor and returns it back the the engine via the large hole in the top left corner of the separator foot print right next to plug number 4. I guess it could be done without taking the 2 coils off but it would require a longer triple square than I have and that may have saved some time but I wasn't rushing and it was my first time doing it. Next time I'm sure I could do it in probably half the time.

Last edited:
Back