Mobil 1 M-102 for 3 6000km oil changes?

The box says this filter is good for 24,000km (15,000 miles). Has anyone here used them that long? Would I be safe leaving it on for three oil changes? The car is a 2013 Mazda5 that uses 0w20 synthetic (Edge, QSUD, or PP). I change it every 6000km (3750 miles).

Maybe it would be fine for 3 but I'd probably do 2. I don't trust some of the claims when driving conditions have a huge effect on service intervals.

Last edited:
I'd probably do two 5K OCI's on one of those filters. 3750 miles seems like an awful short OCI on synthetic....

Yes, you're correct. I used to do 5k (8000km) oil changes but then the car started seeing mostly short trips and I wanted to make sure the oil wasn't being stretched. I'm in Toronto, Canada with very cold winters and hot, humid summers. Not sure, maybe I'll go back to 5k miles/ 8k kilometres.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't know if it would be safe or not. I would change them every time I changed my oil. Mazda makes good filters.

I had a sludged filter on a short tripped car, 5000kms and using PP 5W-30. The G5 used a cartridge filter, quite an eye opener.
If short tipping, in cold weather, definitely change the oil and filter on a frequent basis.

It seems M1 has changed filter suppliers. I don't know that we've seen much of the new suppliers product.

I'd be fine running one of the champion built ones for 15,000 miles / 3 OCI as long as the time interval was not overly long.

I saw the new M1-113A at Walmart recently. I could tell immediately by the classic Purolator style base plate, but it seemed to have some heft to it, and all of the labeling and packaging appear to be the same.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
It seems M1 has changed filter suppliers. I don't know that we've seen much of the new suppliers product.

I'd be fine running one of the champion built ones for 15,000 miles / 3 OCI as long as the time interval was not overly long.

Originally Posted by LMG1
I saw the new M1-113A at Walmart recently. I could tell immediately by the classic Purolator style base plate, but it seemed to have some heft to it, and all of the labeling and packaging appear to be the same.

The filter I'm using is the older style.

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I usually do 6month, 6000km OCIs so I think I'll leave it on for one year/2 OCIs. I think it'll definitely be okay because that's only 7500 miles and even the Fram Extra Guard is now rated for 10000 miles. I'll just play it safe based on the time interval.

I think you should change at least twice a year, being in CA. You will have unevaporated condensation in the crankcase (& oil) that cuts lubricating properties of the oil. This appears as cold sludging as you have experienced.

I live in mid-Minnesota, similar climate. I change at least twice a year for this reason, regardless of mileage - spring & fall. When I was working, I put on more miles and changed between 5-7k miles. Usually 3x a year.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I think you should change at least twice a year, being in CA. You will have unevaporated condensation in the crankcase (& oil) that cuts lubricating properties of the oil. This appears as cold sludging as you have experienced.

Just to clarify. I do change at least twice a year. When I say usually, I'm referring to the usual mileage at the time of change.

Also, I have never experienced any sludge. That was mentioned above by Danno.

Thanks for your input though as it is good to hear your opinion coming from similar climate.

I'm quite surprised by the consensus on this thread leaning towards not using the filter to (or close to) it's advertised threshold.

I guess there's not much love for Mobil filters compared to Fram. I've read through plenty of threads about people pushing Fram Ultras three 6k mile (not km) OCIs and even read about TGs being used up to 20k miles. Interesting.

Originally Posted by pktrkt
The box says this filter is good for 24,000km (15,000 miles). Has anyone here used them that long? Would I be safe leaving it on for three oil changes? The car is a 2013 Mazda5 that uses 0w20 synthetic (Edge, QSUD, or PP). I change it every 6000km (3750 miles).

Change the filter EVERY OCI.

I'm quite surprised by the consensus on this thread leaning towards not using the filter to (or close to) it's advertised threshold.

I guess there's not much love for Mobil filters compared to Fram. I've read through plenty of threads about people pushing Fram Ultras three 6k mile (not km) OCIs and even read about TGs being used up to 20k miles. Interesting.

Mobil 1 filters (the Champion Version) are cellulose blend AFAIK vs the Fram Ultra wire backed synthetic. This is where they make me a little nervous but if your talking 15000 miles in a year or a year and half, fine - 3 or 4 less fine IMO.

My latest one wasn't that impressive looking, and i think an Ultra would have looked better for less money, that said due to the somewhat limited usage of that vehicle neither went on it, it got a Motorcraft.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Mobil 1 filters (the Champion Version) are cellulose blend AFAIK vs the Fram Ultra wire backed synthetic. This is where they make me a little nervous but if your talking 15000 miles in a year or a year and half, fine - 3 or 4 less fine IMO.

My latest one wasn't that impressive looking, and i think an Ultra would have looked better for less money, that said due to the somewhat limited usage of that vehicle neither went on it, it got a Motorcraft.

Thank you for your very logical response.

At the very most I will use the filter for 1 year/2 oil changes.

I am currently using Fram Ultras but have used M1 filters in the past for multiple OC.

I believe 24K miles for one of them.

IMHO concern over filter changing appears to be more of an emotional decision than anything else..... like the people who insist on draining oil for 1 hour before putting the drain plug back. You got an extra 4 oz out, but don't seem to be concerned about the other 20 still in the engine that "just moments previously" was properly lubricating and protecting the engine.

If 5K filter changes on a 20K filter makes one feel good, go right ahead. I tend to drink a half gallon of milk until the carton is empty, not throw it away when there is a quart left.

Last edited:
Back