Nail in tire, what would you do?

Of course I had 12 sheets of 5/8 drywall in the back of minivan in home deopt parking lot when I noticed this Hitchhiker...

What would you do? Patch or new tire?

I spit on it and it bubbled when I slightly moved the nail.

I drove home on it like that.

Took the tire off and carried it on my little scooter to the hombres tire shop.

They patched from the inside. And off I went.

5 mins from home I notice my over loaded scooter feeling squirmy... Front tire flat..

So I did this, wrapped the cracked rubber valve stem tightly with tape , aired it up and made it home!!!

IMG7541329354945326322.jpg

IMG_20200528_171649.jpg

Last edited:
Could you patch this using a Walmart grade T handle tool, cement and rubber rope? Seems a little close to the sidewall, but, I have done worse and gotten away with it.

Originally Posted by Oldtom
Could you patch this using a Walmart grade T handle tool, cement and rubber rope? Seems a little close to the sidewall, but, I have done worse and gotten away with it.

That tire is done.
Im hoping you are suggesting a fix to get the OP home-and not to drive next to anybody with a tire like that "repaired"-on the Interstate.

AND you guys talk about Chinese tires being so called "unsafe".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oldtom

That is ok to get you out of the desert to a traveled road but nothing more.

Last edited:
That looks like a roofing nail, wonder how it got that far up the sidewall?

If a person wants to put them self at risk with sketchy repairs it's their choice, but as noted sketchy repairs like this put everyone at risk you're driving near. Please spend the money and forget about it.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Look at it this way... you now have super nice Michelin tire swing for the kids or grandkids.

This.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Look at it this way... you now have super nice Michelin tire swing for the kids or grandkids.

+2.

there is no what would you do.. its junk. nail in sidewall no repair likely to hold up. a blowout on highway costs much more $$$ and possibly lives/injuries.

Back