C&P Allison Transmission Filter - 27k miles, 3 years

This is the thickest can I've ever seen. 27k miles, 3 years, 1000 Allison transmission.

20200528_170957 - Copy.jpg

20200528_171003 - Copy.jpg

20200528_171012 - Copy.jpg

20200528_171101 - Copy.jpg

20200528_170620 - Copy.jpg

When we designed the 1000 series back in the late 90s, we just grabbed the Saturn S series spin-on for commonality.
It was designed to take a lot more pressure than it ever sees in the Allison.
On the Allison, it filters the flow going to the first stage of the control solenoids.
And there is also a conventional filter in the pan on the pump inlet similar to most automotive transmissions.

That is very clean. I just did mine last month and forgot to open it, sorry.

nascarnation - I really like the 1000 series transmission. You folks did a great job. Does the control filter act as a "bypass" filter? Or is it in series with the main filter?

The Allison team that did this design was a great crew. I was very involved in the lab testing. By the late 90s we had a good understanding of what it took to validate life on a transmission intended to go many hundreds of thousands of miles. It was a lot of expensive and lengthy tests, and the investment paid off with good performance in the real world.

The control filter is essentially a bypass filter, although it does not have super fine filtration that typically is associated with engine bypass filters. The individual control solenoids have mesh screen filters built into them, but this is a bit finer and easily replaced.
It's a level of maintainability that you would not typically see in an automotive unit, more like in a medium truck/bus transmission.

Back