[Cut Open] FRAM TG8A (30 minutes)

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

It seems to have very wide end caps. Is that new to the Trico made, or the way they always were, or a perspective illusion?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It seems to have very wide end caps. Is that new to the Trico made, or the way they always were, or a perspective illusion?

The only answer I have is that it isn't an illusion. The media is in fact quite a bit smaller in diameter than the end caps.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by oldhp
30 mins???

I'm guessing it has something to do with the large dent in it.

Break in run.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
I remember Fram discussing why they use flat caps rather than bent metal caps, but don't recall why. Anyone recall?

Cost mostly, but pretty much the end caps are a lath for glue and the glue sticks to both cellulose materials better than it does to metal.

Last edited:
Ah yes - I'm pretty sure that was it - better sealing. Since the filtration element is some type of paper anyway, sealing paper to metal must be more difficult than paper to paper. Then again, I use the synthetic filtration media with wire-back mesh screen, and don't recall what they use to seal those ends (Fram Xtra Guard Filter Line).

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Then again, I use the synthetic filtration media with wire-back mesh screen, and don't recall what they use to seal those ends (Fram Xtra Guard Filter Line).

Metal end caps with potting glue on the XG Ultra filters.

Thanks ZeeO Six

I suppose metal end caps wouldn't be used if the manufacturers weren't confident they couldn't get a good seal to the element? Then it begs the question what makes either end cap material more advantageous? Perhaps just speculation without statistical rate of failure data.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Metal end caps with potting glue on the XG Ultra filters.
Not on XG cartridges.

Yep ... and probably why it doesn't work as well (on some cartridge filter models) as in the spin-ons.

Back