Vehicle sighting - 1968 AMC Javelin

Love this stuff. Lived in Kenosha for years and there's a lot of these hidden gems in garages all over the city. I'm not into all the AMC models, but have been lucky to have seen plenty.

We had a couple of those around town in the early 70s. From what I heard they only went about 100 mph . Getting there was like a Cat shot. The gear ratios in those things was insane . None of them stuck around very long because they hammered them so hard. AMC wasn't exactly much on quality either as I found out when I bought a Hornet🦨

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
Love this stuff. Lived in Kenosha for years and there's a lot of these hidden gems in garages all over the city. I'm not into all the AMC models, but have been lucky to have seen plenty.

Have a few around here as well....

Originally Posted by Chris142
AMC had some interesting sized engines. 287,327,290,304,360,390 and 401. Probably others.

My understanding is there were only 2 blocks; an earlier, physically larger and the later, physically smaller block.
The 290 is the newer. I used to help with a 304 as I recall. Easy to work on.

Yes those are very nice body styles. The neighbor kid's dad owned an AMC new car dealership and they would bring them home all the time. The AMC S/C Rambler Scrambler red white and blue was a real cool car. The Rebel Machine was ok but not as neat. My brother had a 360 cubic inch Hornet but it really wasn't as fast you would think it could go. The Scrambler's were the best out of AMC IMO.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Mark Donahue drive a Javelin to a winning season and won over Ford and Chevy. I saw them run at Elkhart Lake WI. Great vehicles. The popular engine was a 390 CI. Ed

[Linked Image]

You can see the respray pattern on the firewall. Whoever did it went around the hoses.

Back then the "rumor" was that Chrysler made AMC's body stamping machinery. I do not know.

The Ambassador from the early '70's was a sedate looking car....great grille.

The AMX had no rear seat as it was "experimental"....in what ways I ask.

Originally Posted by Chris142
AMC had some interesting sized engines. 287,327,290,304,360,390 and 401. Probably others.

My Dad had a 59 Rambler Ambassador with the 327 in it. Clear plastic seat covers. Foot pump for the windshield washer, push button automatic transmission.

My uncle (on his '68 SST) had more than one hub cap "lug nuts" impact wrenched off by a local mechanic. Not sure of the hub cap model but the looked realistically like wheels. On those steelies sat red sidewall wide ovals.

Remember Shift Command,Weather Eye, vacuum wipers and the rubber foot bulb to pump washer fluid from the vinyl bag underhood? Honorable mention, the not so automatic three point seat belts.

On a '68 AMC car you got vacuum windshield wipers unless optional electrics were purchased, and trunnions in the upper front suspension instead of ball joints. (Full ball joints would not arrive until 1970, standard electric wipers in 1972.) AMC's first V8 was a heavily-built 250 cid mill that debuted in 1956. In 1957 it was enlarged to 327 cid and in the Rambler Rebel 4-door hardtop would do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds - and that was without the electronic fuel injection option that was pulled at the last minute due to issues with it. (That was supercar territory in the 1950s. Only the fuelie Corvette was faster.) The newer, lighter, thinwall AMC V8s debuted in 1966 starting with the 290, then became the 343 and 390. An increase in deck height begat the 304, 360, and 401.

Originally Posted by dishdude
They still had vacuum operated wipers in '68?
crazy2.gif

Yep. My 1968 Javelin had them, as did my two Rambler American "winter beaters".

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by dishdude
They still had vacuum operated wipers in '68?
crazy2.gif

Yep. My 1968 Javelin had them, as did my two Rambler American "winter beaters".

Cool!
Just let off the gas to clear the windshield!

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

A little off subject but here's a recent picture of my brother's 1962 AMC Rambler with the pushbutton transmission and foot pump w/s washer, vacuum wipers, etc.

Back