2021 Acura TLX Sports

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Not bad, although the rear looks a bit bland to me.

Type S sounds interesting.

The rear looks like a camry with a crease in the middle. The grill looks like a ripoff of some lexus I saw.

Not sure why these companies cant style cars well.

V6 turbo awd 10 speed auto sounds fun. Probably very expensive for that edition.

Originally Posted by dareo
V6 turbo awd 10 speed auto sounds fun. Probably very expensive for that edition.

$60k for a v6 turbo awd accord with fancy trimmings...

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Well I feel the same about ANY Genesis/HYUNDAI or Kia Stinger/KIA!!! Its STILL a HYUNDAI or KIA!!! LOL

It's about time they upgraded the multilevel dash layout. Looks good.

Last edited:

The current A-spec TLX runs about $45K...I highly doubt the price is going to jump by over 30%.

Chassis is supposed to be exclusive to the TLX.

Hopefully they'll sell well enough to pick up a used one in 2025 or so to replace my Type-S

Last edited:
Looks good to me except the the rear door handle placement. I have never liked the multi level look.

With the demise of the Lexus GS, someday I might be interested in another performance sedan.
I am guessing the Acura TLX options are FWD and AWD. I would greatly prefer RWD, especially in sunny CA.

Having said that, wifey and I love the GS (and our perfect 06 TSX), but the tech and performance of the Tesla Model 3 is light years ahead.
If I were buying today, a Model 3 Performance is the only choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tbm5690

The current A-spec TLX runs about $45K...I highly doubt the price is going to jump by over 30%.

From the article:

Interior quality appears to be commensurate with a car that will reach toward $60,000 for a fully loaded Type S. Starting prices for a front-driver are expected to be in the mid- to high-$30,000 range.

Originally Posted by csandste
Acura has had the same front end theme for a long time now, but they've tweaked it from UGLY to quite nice.

To me, it has gotten somewhat better because it has gotten smaller. It is still somewhat gaudy to me, but I agree its better. Looks like the bumper openings are functional too; I always hate when they make openings with fake mesh that is just solid, or worse, faux air scoops.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Chassis is supposed to be exclusive to the TLX.

Hopefully they'll sell well enough to pick up a used one in 2025 or so to replace my Type-S

I wonder how long that will last though. Trickle down from one to the next... (thats NOT a bad thing!!) Im sure the stiffness will be handy for their SUVs and whatnot too:

While the new engines are sure to bring straight-line speed, a new platform that's 50 percent stiffer in torsional rigidity and a new suspension setup should help the TLX nail the handling part of the sports-sedan brief.

What does interest me is this:

Acura fans who remember the Integra, Legend, and TL will be delighted to hear that the front suspension ditches struts for a control-arm setup. In back, a multi-link suspension will keep the rear in check. Adaptive dampers will be optional on regular TLXs and standard on the Type S. To remove weight from the nose, the battery moves to the trunk, and the hood, front fenders, front-bumper beam, and the top of the shock towers are made of aluminum.

More or less all of that...

Better suspension, battery placement that is lifetime and mass friendly, and more aluminum... Not sure Im keen on all those pieces being aluminum, I mean, I like steel for strength, and the mixed metal shock tower thing scares me a bit long-term (the springs will be pretty strong, think the issues MB had on their W210). Judging by my two hondas, they better do corrosion control more like our odyssey (industry average) versus our Accord (poor).

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
With the demise of the Lexus GS, someday I might be interested in another performance sedan.
I am guessing the Acura TLX options are FWD and AWD. I would greatly prefer RWD, especially in sunny CA.

Having said that, wifey and I love the GS (and our perfect 06 TSX), but the tech and performance of the Tesla Model 3 is light years ahead.
If I were buying today, a Model 3 Performance is the only choice.

I dunno... Batteries are degraded at a higher rate when run hot or more power is pulled from them. So the Model 3 will be damaged faster (despite any claims or lack of data) than doing repeated WOT runs in an IC engine vehicle. And, like the discussion of the Tesla truck not being able to get any practical range when towing, drive the "performance" version hard, and battery impedance and Ohm's law will bite, regardless of any propaganda. Not saying it isnt an interesting (if expensive for what it is) car, that probably has best of class drivetrain (we will see how Overk1ll rates his new Audi...). 3.5s 0-60 is interesting a few times, but as someone with a 5.5s 0-60 car, its not particularly useful after the first few novelty runs.

Its a bummer that Lexus is cancelling the GS. While Im not sure Id buy one (so Im making my own case against it, granted), the design of such a vehicle, with a V8 engine, is unique. Its a shame that it is going away, or that the option is much more $$ vehicles. A FWD Honda with AWD I dont know will fit that mold.

Of course Id take the new TLX type S if I was handed one, or the right deal presented itself...

I dunno... Batteries are degraded at a higher rate when run hot or more power is pulled from them. So the Model 3 will be damaged faster (despite any claims or lack of data) than doing repeated WOT runs in an IC engine vehicle. And, like the discussion of the Tesla truck not being able to get any practical range when towing, drive the "performance" version hard, and battery impedance and Ohm's law will bite, regardless of any propaganda. Not saying it isnt an interesting (if expensive for what it is) car, that probably has best of class drivetrain (we will see how Overk1ll rates his new Audi...). 3.5s 0-60 is interesting a few times, but as someone with a 5.5s 0-60 car, its not particularly useful after the first few novelty runs.

I have never done a 0-60 run in out Model 3 or GS. Or any of our cars.
For me, the fun of a performance sedan is not 0-60 runs or top speed. It is the driveability, the handling, the overall package design.
Not even so much the actual numbers, rather it is the excitement of the car.
The instant torque makes a Model 3 really quick and it handles flat. It feels faster. Just give it some throttle and try and stop smiling.

Of course any performance sedan worth its salt should be able to recognize cones in real time, right?
All good.

IMG_20200527_143819.jpg

Last edited:
Back