We need to make a list of good rebuilders that actually make good reman parts

Cardone is trash, and most "rebuilds" are poor quality, so we need to make a list of good reman parts

Raxles CV axles (they only offer them for Honda/Acura, VW/Audi. and Subaru)
Maval steering racks and pumps

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Cardone is trash, and most "rebuilds" are poor quality, so we need to make a list of good reman parts

Sure, I have to certify shops and vendors all the time to meet ISO requirements.

All you have to do is define "good" in terms that are S.M.A.R.T. and a process the individual work can be measured against and include performance criteria. Need to also define test equipment, calibration, and techniques with training to make sure all tests to determine "good" are done the same way by everyone so the results will be valid and honest against hard data.

Otherwise its just another opinion based on a personally perceptive observation against a performance standard or preference that may not even be real in the first place.

What are those standards?

Things like that are easy to say until people actually have to do it then there's a lot of work and a price tag.

What is needed as the poster above says is a set of standards. But to certify that these are being met, you really, in my opinion, need third party certification. Fat chance of Chinese suppliers doing that. Best thing right now is probably to bite the bullet and buy OEM parts if you are really concerned about quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
So far every rebuilt part we have gotten is junk. We only do new. Even the new Chinese stuff is better than any rebuilt part.

I agree. TYC has been putting out decent quality NEW parts that cost less than subpar rebuilds.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Sure, I have to certify shops and vendors all the time to meet ISO requirements.

All you have to do is define "good" in terms that are S.M.A.R.T. and a process the individual work can be measured against and include performance criteria. Need to also define test equipment, calibration, and techniques with training to make sure all tests to determine "good" are done the same way by everyone so the results will be valid and honest against hard data.

Otherwise its just another opinion based on a personally perceptive observation against a performance standard or preference that may not even be real in the first place.

What are those standards?

Things like that are easy to say until people actually have to do it then there's a lot of work and a price tag.

I agree, having been deeply involved in ISO etc with GM and working with our vendors. But just one metric - return % would be enough to judge parts makers but I doubt Autozone and other parts stores would give up that data to us to evaluate. Therefore, we are left with most opinions and hearing from people who got bad parts from XYZ none of the satisfied customers are commenting.

With that, I still say Cardone rebuilds are junk based on my sample of size of atleast 100.

The only "problem" with ISO certification/registration is that it certifies the process and the documentation of that process. If a company wanted to, they could get an ISO certification to produce junk as long as they follow their Standard Operating Procedures to produce junk and nothing but junk. If they produced a good product, then they could loose their ISO certification/registration.

I've worked under ISO and participated in getting ISO certification/registration and it all depends on the integrity of the organization. It does not certify that the finished product is fit for purpose or a quality product.

Originally Posted by GMBoy

I agree, having been deeply involved in ISO etc with GM and working with our vendors. But just one metric - return % would be enough to judge parts makers but I doubt Autozone and other parts stores would give up that data to us to evaluate. Therefore, we are left with most opinions and hearing from people who got bad parts from XYZ none of the satisfied customers are commenting.

With that, I still say Cardone rebuilds are junk based on my sample of size of at least 100.

I respectfully disagree on that point based on my experience that a lot of these "returns" are called "defective" ( more as a face saver) , a misdiagnosis or other cause unrelated to the actual quality or function of the item in question. Those are not legitimate reflections on the respective vendor.

This also can be skewed by "failures" caused by abuse, improper installation or usage beyond design specifications too. ( not a reflection again on the rebuild or vendor)

I get real cautious about unqualified or single point data ( especially when its all a client can give me)

Originally Posted by chemman
The only "problem" with ISO certification/registration is that it certifies the process and the documentation of that process. If a company wanted to, they could get an ISO certification to produce junk as long as they follow their Standard Operating Procedures to produce junk and nothing but junk. If they produced a good product, then they could loose their ISO certification/registration.

I've worked under ISO and participated in getting ISO certification/registration and it all depends on the integrity of the organization. It does not certify that the finished product is fit for purpose or a quality product.

Not entirely accurate but about 98%- it really depends on specifically what ISO registration a company is trying to get and how much of the company goes under that process. (assuming there is an applicable ISO or other performance cert for the product in question- if there's no industry accepted standard, that's a different issue)

That's good of you to point that out because as you state the "process" is what's certified- that is NOT in any way an indicator of finished product functionality. I have seen people deliberately weaponize an ISO "process" certification as an indicator of quality of a product ( happens all the time overseas especially with fasteners)

Some cores are plain just worn out, but Cardone just keeps on rebuilding them. Example would be like ratcheting GM rear brake calipers. Brake pad clips won't fit tight because the clip holders are nubs. That's just an example from the Cardone trash.

Originally Posted by chemman

This !!!

I've had good and bad re-manufactured parts from every vendor including Cardone. I now try only buy new to save the headaches . Sometimes I'm forced to get re-manufactured parts but will only buy them locally at Naps/AZ etc. That way I can physically look at the part and compare it and possibly see the quality of rebuild.

for electrical parts visit a local rebuilder. Most all of them are very good and can supply you quality parts. If it goes bad they don't eat. gets rid of the bad ones pretty quick.

Rod

My old BMWs had Bosch electrics. Very robust, Rat gets new Chinesium when F.O.R. D. happens. Just like the other OPE. Camrys trouble free, but for a battery I generally kept my 528s going on used parts. Jeeps got re-builds and quality was iffy until Chryco introduced the reduction gear type starters. 90 amp Delcos were a PITN to work on.
grin2.gif

There is a big difference between "rebuilt" and "remanufactured". IMO rebuilt (or anything named similar) is almost always junk and not worth the experiment to try it. Remanufactured on the other hand, should be close to new in quality if done correctly. Usually remanufactured parts have all new wear items, bearings, seals, contactors, brushes etc, while rebuilt often only have the part that failed replaced, so you are actually getting a cleaned, used, but repaired part.

Originally Posted by another Todd
There is a big difference between "rebuilt" and "remanufactured". IMO rebuilt (or anything named similar) is almost always junk and not worth the experiment to try it. Remanufactured on the other hand, should be close to new in quality if done correctly. Usually remanufactured parts have all new wear items, bearings, seals, contactors, brushes etc, while rebuilt often only have the part that failed replaced, so you are actually getting a cleaned, used, but repaired part.

Cardone says the same thing and calls theirs remanufactured, but they do the bare minimum, if that
smirk2.gif

Back