High Gloss product for Silver car?

Looking for good gloss on new Silver car.

Have applied a couple coats of TW Hybrid Spray and not totally satisfied. Just finished with coat of old, old TW blue color liquid creme stuff thats been on the shelf for years and it produced a more deep down shine. This stuff is so old it "guarantees 12 protection" but had no listing of what was in it.

Read a lot about Griot's Garage best show was; would this likely produce high gloss?

Recommendations appreciated.

Collinite 915 works well for me.

Scott

FEC0DA7D-5829-4B22-8153-5773BA5BAD26.jpeg

As many have said in other threads, shine really comes primarily from prep and secondarily from the products you use.

What tools do you have or are willing to buy...
- Clay or synthetic clay kit
- random orbital buffer or are you applying everything by hand?
- compound/polish and pads
- final step product like a sealant/wax/glaze

SLO_town - what was your process?

All of the above being said, find something you like and use it often. Any product from some of the bigs guys is going to be quality - meguirs, griot, etc.

It's all in the prep as has been stated already. Some waxes are noted for high gloss shine but usually at the cost of longevity. The Griots Best Of Show wax tends to be more on that side of the equation. It is a good product for what it does. Their Poly Wax might be a good option for you or their new Ceramic 3 in 1 spray wax. I use that on a silver Mazda and it shines very well.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
As many have said in other threads, shine really comes primarily from prep and secondarily from the products you use.

I do have a buffer, pads, compound, but would not want to use it on a new car finish, especially compound. Don't have any clay; have never used it. Should it be used on a new finish?

Originally Posted by tc1446
Originally Posted by NYSteve

I do have a buffer, pads, compound, but would not want to use it on a new car finish, especially compound. Don't have any clay; have never used it. Should it be used on a new finish?

A lot of new cars are transported by rail thus they get rail dust on the finish. One way to check your finish is the plastic bag trick.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/1200-the-plastic-bag-clay-bar-test-youll-say-wow/

Claying can be very beneficial.

Last edited:

I would use an iron remover, then clay and use an all in one polish like blackfire. you can then top it with whatever wax you prefer.

All these ceramic products that are on the market now sacrifice depth and gloss for longevity.

Originally Posted by PimTac
NYSteve said:

A lot of new cars are transported by rail thus they get rail dust on the finish. One way to check your finish is the plastic bag trick.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/1200-the-plastic-bag-clay-bar-test-youll-say-wow/

Claying can be very beneficial.

Well heck! Wish you hadn't posted that link! LOL Did the test and I could feel the diff with the bag. I've never clayed a car as it seemed more work
than I could manage but I will get some and give it a try. Maybe have to do a bit at a time. I have plenty of the spray stuff to use with the clay and micro towels as well.

With proper use, clay is much less work than you seem to think. The horizontal panels are worst for collecting fallout. Using adequate lube, it's typically 2-4 minutes per panel.

Many of us have changed over to clay mitts or towels, and are very happy with the change. Even quicker process.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
With proper use, clay is much less work than you seem to think. The horizontal panels are worst for collecting fallout. Using adequate lube, it's typically 2-4 minutes per panel.

Many of us have changed over to clay mitts or towels, and are very happy with the change. Even quicker process.

Thanks Gizzsdad, was looking at them online and wondered how well they worked. Might be just the thing for the Audi since its pretty darn clean at the moment. Will see if they are avail locally; suspect I will have to order.

Originally Posted by Finklejag
All these ceramic products that are on the market now sacrifice depth and gloss for longevity.

Ceramic sealants/coatings look great as long as the proper prep is performed. I think the issue is that traditional waxes and sealants have an ability to mask light defects due to the oils and thickeners in the product, ceramics do not.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two coats of CQuartz Uk 3.0 and one coat of Gliss.

In the recent past I have had 2 silver cars. Silver isn't a color that really "pops". So it really doesn't matter if you go balls out with a 12 hour detail with high dollar products or just lay and wax it. My experience owning these 2 cars and trying to get it as "shiny" as a black car

Don

Originally Posted by Dadillac
In the recent past I have had 2 silver cars. Silver isn't a color that really "pops". So it really doesn't matter if you go balls out with a 12 hour detail with high dollar products or just lay and wax it. My experience owning these 2 cars and trying to get it as "shiny" as a black car

Don

Point well taken and I don't disagree. In my recent car shopping, BMW and some Mercedes seem to have very glossy silvers....I call them creamy...as opposed to some makers who seem to use a lot more metallic in the paint and are not nearly so shiny. Since we were specifically looking for a silver color, we turned down a couple of brands simply because of the dull look. The Audi is suitably shiny and I'm looking for anything that might be better than my current TW Hybrid. I like to try diff brands and will give some of the suggestions above a go.

FWIW, I did a light claying today with a Griot's pad and followed up later with Griots Best Of Show wax. It went on and off fairly easily, although with a bit more buffing than with TW spray products. It did indeed produce more gloss than previous products.

If you don't have these already, Another consideration since this is a new car is to use quality car shampoo and washing tools. Good microfiber is hard to beat. Stay away from terry bath towels. Use the two bucket wash method with both buckets having grit guards installed.

It's all about protecting that clearcoat.

FWIW, I did a light claying today with a Griot's pad and followed up later with Griots Best Of Show wax. It went on and off fairly easily, although with a bit more buffing than with TW spray products. It did indeed produce more gloss than previous products.

I am pretty new to the clay procedure and learned of it within the past few years. Was always a guy who keeps up the cars but by no means a detail maniac as I've seen and learned, there is so much more to it than I knew of.
It's almost a sick feeling to know what was on car paint or clearcoat after washing, drying then waxing or polishing steps that go right over the hundred of little blips bonded to the vehicle until I learned of it.

My last silver car was an Infiniti labeled "Diamond Graphite Metalic". Darker shade that shined well and depth/gloss that demanded a bit better work that light silver I've owned before.
Always working by hand, I'm closing in on the idea of getting the powered polisher/waxer one of the days. I'm 58 and my shoulders are starting to make weird noises.
Got some older Auto Glym Shampoo, wax and polish from a clearance sale but mostly sticking to Meguiars products.

Back