Dewalt titanium drill bit set

I have a set of the gold colored titanium drill bits from Dewalt. Says good for wood or metal drilling.

I tried to use them to drill through a bunch of hard drives before throwing the hard drives out. But the drill bits dull very quickly.

What gives

Titanium in this case is marketing. It's a microscopically thin surface coating which is supposed to make the bits harder to clog but it doesn't work.

Cobalt steel alloy is the best, but even those will eventually become dull.

Get a bit sharpener. They work wonderfully.

Those gold bits don't seem to rust as bad if left in a humid spot and are easier to see …
Think that completes the bonus list !

Hammer is the tool. You could secure wipe the drive and give them away to people who need them. Free software is available, ultimateboot and hirens come to mind.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Titanium in this case is marketing. It's a microscopically thin surface coating which is supposed to make the bits harder to clog but it doesn't work.

There are different cobalt bits. M35 is 5% cobalt , m42 is 8%.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Astro14

There are different cobalt bits. M35 is 5% cobalt , m42 is 8%.

Thanks!

I didn't know that...

M42 is better used in a drill press as they are a little too brittle especially in the smaller sizes for hand use. Solid carbide is the best for hardened steel but is way too brittle even for a standard chuck drill press, they don't tolerate even small amounts of run out and cost a small fortune.

Originally Posted by Trav
M42 is better used in a drill press as they are a little too brittle especially in the smaller sizes for hand use. Solid carbide is the best for hardened steel but is way too brittle even for a standard chuck drill press, they don't tolerate even small amounts of run out and cost a small fortune.

Thanks! I did not know that m42 was better for drill presses, makes sense. I have m35 they are much better than titanium. I really see no difference in hss coated with titanium and plain hss.

Last edited:
If you have external dock us "Darik's Boot and Nuke" to do an NSA grade erase. then sell or donate them. If you dont have time then drill the drives from the back circuit board side which is cast aluminum. Older drives have stainless cover which is whats killing your drills "bits" :)

I have disassembled dozens of drives with just torx bit. the magnets inside are truly amazingly strong. And the older high perf drives have the biggest magnets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Trav

Thanks! I did not know that m42 was better for drill presses, makes sense. I have m35 they are much better than titanium. I really see no difference in hss coated with titanium and plain hss.

M35 is ideal for cordless drills, you get the performance of cobalt and longer battery life than if using common or coated bits without the brittleness of M42.
Keeping them sharp is key to good performance with any bit, a small jig type tool is good to have.
This is a decent little grinding wheel jig, for those who don't have fab skills its worth it otherwise this is easily made up.

https://vsctools.com/shop/drill-bit-sharpening-jig/

Back