Battery powered 1/2 inch impact wrench

Not to get off subject... but have we figured out if the mower blade bolt is reverse threaded before we look into big power to remove the bolt?

Have we tried with a breaker bar and cheater pipe? A box end wrench and a cheater?

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

Not to get off subject... but have we figured out if the mower blade bolt is reverse threaded before we look into big power to remove the bolt?

Have we tried with a breaker bar and cheater pipe? A box end wrench and a cheater?

Jamb the blade with a 2x4. I would use an impact wrench to take off a mower blade. But I would not buy one just for that reason.

Originally Posted by Trav
This one will do almost every job you throw at it, look for lower prices and get a charger and battery on ebay, there are plenty of authorized Makita dealers selling batteries for a good price.
Don't be convinced you need one with 1,000+ "break away torque", they are big, heavy and unwieldy for many jobs, you will use this mid size one more than any other.

I use this one more than any other,

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT11...t&qid=1590634918&s=hi&sr=1-1

I picked one up at HD for $149 with a charger and 2Ahr batter. I rather like it. It's not too heavy and matches the Makita driver & drill I have (buying this gave me two chargers and 3 batteries, which is why I gave in and did so). Not being a pro in any field means I'm not using these tools for hours on end--so the small batteries are ok. Run one down and pop it on the charger, it'll be good to go in what, 20 minutes? Just get 2 or 3 batteries.

The lugs on my truck are tightened down to 150 ft-lb and it zipped them off with little fuss--one or two were slow but they came off fast all the same. It should shrug off most jobs I have.

I needed an impact for general vehicle work, lug nuts, etc....At that time I was a solid Hitachi, now Metabo HPT, guy. After perusing their offerings, I decided it was time to jump brands. Milwaukee and Dewalt are the only two real options, in my opinion, based solely on availability and catalog. Experience with locals, and knowing what I see in pawn shops, I chose Dewalt. The very first thing I bought was their mid size 1/2 20v Brushless Impact. Its a heck of a tool....lug nuts, mower blades, head bolts no problem. Its a lot handier than the big, heavy, unwieldy high torque models, but they also have their place.

Since then, I have acquired one of the Brushless 12v Max 3/8 impact....and that thing is just handier than a pocket on a shirt. Its no lug nut breaker, but it gets used ten times more than the 1/2 for automotive and household chores.

Originally Posted by Zebra312

Since then, I have acquired one of the Brushless 12v Max 3/8 impact....and that thing is just handier than a pocket on a shirt. Its no lug nut breaker, but it gets used ten times more than the 1/2 for automotive and household chores.

Right, I have 3 -the big dewalt, the mid torque dewalt, and the one I use the most the milwaukee m12 fuel stubby impact.

It totally replaces the mid torque dewalt. If needed I would definitely go for a big torque model but a small light one is better for most stuff.

it will remove lugnuts easily(100ft/lb or less)but stuggles on overtightened or high torqued rusted on over the winter lugnuts. It usually still removes them but takes 3-5s to get em moving.

So with my jeep 100ft/lb lugbolts and the elantra 80ft/lb its fine.

on an truck with 150ft/lb lugnut spec even the dewalt mid torque would struggle sometimes. The big dewalt.. better make sure its in reverse or you might snap something.

For a battery powered 1/2" impact you will be hard pressed to find anything new for around $150.

I have the harbor freight 1/2" impact, and it has taken everything I've thrown at it.

Originally Posted by Trav
This one will do almost every job you throw at it, look for lower prices and get a charger and battery on ebay, there are plenty of authorized Makita dealers selling batteries for a good price.
Don't be convinced you need one with 1,000+ "break away torque", they are big, heavy and unwieldy for many jobs, you will use this mid size one more than any other.

I use this one more than any other,

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XWT11...t&qid=1590634918&s=hi&sr=1-1

Trav, you are always spot on and I feel privileged to be able to access your brain on this site. I remember awhile back you did a tool review on this Makita and it's great. That being said, the spirit of beating the competition never seems to rest and Milwaukee is coming out with a new M12 ratchet 2564-20; it has a 2 3/8" head and claims to fit into many tight places. The 3/8" ratchet also comes in 1/2" ($199) has 220 ft. lbs. torque, 4 speeds with automatic slow down when bolt breaks loose, and when running down bolts it will stop at 15 ft. lbs. if set right. Release date is June 1st. I've preordered one: https://www.acetool.com/Milwaukee-2564-20-M12-3-8-in-Impact-Wrench-p/mil-2564-20.htm One of Milwaukee's selling points is that their batteries will interchange and they have over 200 tools available. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Innovations/MX-FUEL

Full disclosure: I already have the charger and batteries, so all I need is bare tool, but 220 ft. lbs. in small package lightweight will probably prove indispensable for brakes, water pump, timing chain, struts, shocks (lawn mower blades) and a host of other work where there isn't room for a gorilla wrench that would twist Godzilla's wrist.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Ryobi 1/2 Impact $109

This seems like a great price for a rarely used impact. Even still, I'd spend the extra money for Ridgid brushless.

Yeah that's the one I said used to be $99.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Ryobi 1/2 Impact $109

This seems like a great price for a rarely used impact. Even still, I'd spend the extra money for Ridgid brushless.

Yeah that's the one I said used to be $99.

Correct, but I don't recall it being there often. I consider $109 a pretty good price.

The outgoing (I assume since there is a $269 XTR version) Kobalt large 1/2" is $169 with battery and charger. That is as powerful as you are going to get in the $150 full kit range. Batteries are comparatively cheap and Lowe's are everywhere. I got the kit for $139 on black Friday. There is nothing around the house or car where it fits it can't handle.

Last edited:
I have the Milwaukee mid torque and high torque impacts. Bought them as I already had the batteries. Got new ones from eBay way cheaper than store bought. If I had to keep one and toss one I would keep the high torque. The high torque does better work than my air impact. The mid torque model is a bit lacking. But I use it frequently as it is about 2 pounds lighter. But that high torque removes whatever you attach it to effortlessly

Don

Ryobi 1/2 Impact $109

So far I'm thinking about the Ryobi.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Originally Posted by MParr
Go with the USA made DeWalt. You won't regret it.

While I'd agree, unfortunately those run 3x OP's target budget.

In the future, I'll upgrade to a nicer impact wrench
wink.gif

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
Go with the USA made DeWalt. You won't regret it.

While I'd agree, unfortunately those run 3x OP's target budget.

wink.gif

I can certainly understand the limitations that you put on the costs. However, I'm suggesting this impact on my past experiences with cheaper tools. Do you remember the old Craftsman C3 tools? I had one of those. It was a piece of junk. It had a very hard time removing lug nuts.

wink.gif

I can certainly understand the limitations that you put on the costs. However, I'm suggesting this impact on my past experiences with cheaper tools. Do you remember the old Craftsman C3 tools? I had one of those. It was a piece of junk. It had a very hard time removing lug nuts.

A couple things. If he's going to go with something like a Dewalt, I'd just get the Milwaukee as it's about the same price. Remember you're also buying into a tool system. Dewalt is 1200 foot pounds and the Milwaukee is 1400 foot pounds.

Only drawback with the Ryobi is that there is no nicer impact wrench from Ryobi and it's 300 foot pounds. Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by the same company and Ryobi is more homeowner and Milwaukee is more professional. They're not going to make products that compete with each other. The middle ground here is probably the Ridgid at 620 foot pounds for about $150, just have to wait for it to be in stock/price to come down. Ridgid is also good in that it's a lifetime warranty on the tool and battery. The others are just 3-5 years on the warranty. Of course if you get the Ryobi, it's a good battery system that has a lot of other tools out there. I have a bunch of other Ryobi things like their drills, sawsall, inflators, lights etc.

Ryobi 1/2 Impact $109

So far I'm thinking about the Ryobi.

I have the OLD ryobi p260, the one with just 200 ftlbs. It works well for most things if it fits (lug nuts, brake caliper bracket bolts, suspension bolts). it's never failed to take anything off IF there are no extensions or swivels. Add an extension or swivel ... all bets are off.

One caveat, I live in Southern California. Rarely see real rust here. Second caveat, ryobi 18v is my primary cordless system. Since Milwaukee and Ridgid both have rating up to 1500 ish ft LBs with the 18v systems, I would upgrade if TTI would upgrade ryobi to be near equivalent to the others.

Back