Need an SUV, current model Year or CPO, no cvt.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by supton

So if I buy one of these exotic cars (VW, BMW, etc) I might be able to have a low TCO, like I've seen on my econoboxes? I don't mind how my Toyota's drive, save one feature--the steering is awful. My old Camry is as I'd expect, the other two... hateful! I need to keep an eye out for what I'll replace them with, and if a non-appliance can have appliance like running costs, then all the better.

But I still think that "if it's not on the maintenance schedule then it's a repair". YMMV. Maybe it doesn't matter, since TCO doesn't care if it's purchase, repair or running cost.

BMWs and VWs are "exotic"?

To me they are.
21.gif

I realize that in the scheme of things, they aren't. But for a guy who owns old Camry's, do you really think I could handle anything with, well, handling?

The BMWs and VWs will be in the shop for repairs while the Camry owner will just drive on by...

We currently have four BMWs. None of which have been in the shop for repairs...

Originally Posted by 02SE

The BMWs and VWs will be in the shop for repairs while the Camry owner will just drive on by...

But what do we know about BMWs? We just own them...

It's clearly a case of Stockholm Syndrome!

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Watch it- this is BITOG after all; I suspect that a self-proclaimed "expert" will doubtless be sending some hate for FCA your way before long.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Watch it- this is BITOG after all; I suspect that a self-proclaimed "expert" will doubtless be sending some hate for FCA your way before long.
lol.gif

Uh oh, we have two FCA products too. Dun dun duh...
laugh.gif

And two Toyotas. I guess I'm safe there.
27.gif

But do you have a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis?

laugh.gif

27.gif

Originally Posted by drtyler

laugh.gif

27.gif

No.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by drtyler

laugh.gif

27.gif

No.
frown.gif

Well there you go, that's your problem right there!

Originally Posted by JohnG
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I apologize for being sketchy with the requirements. But I'm glad most could make good suggestions.
I found out later that the budget is low, and I'm still not sure about whether AWD will be a requirement. When I say low budget, I'm talking $5500 down/under $300.00/mo.
That brings the range down to the KIA/Hyundai territory. I do like the CX5 suggestion though as it seems to fit the bill perfectly.
I was looking at a KIA Hamstermobile but that has the CVT. Good news is it can be had brand new for under $250.00 / mo.

Thanks again.

A gently used Hyundai Tucson will be in your price range. It's a good vehicle in the segment and overall IMO. My wife likes ours.

I will caution you to be careful shopping by payment price. It's better to shop by vehicle price especially when negotiating. Once you've got the price you want then talk about how you are going to pay. This gives the dealer less leverage, especially if you are getting a loan. It's a good idea to get a finance quote from a local bank/CU before going to the dealer to make sure you are getting the terms and rates that are most competitive.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Refresh my memory; how many BMWs have you
owned?
driven?
sat in?

What does owning one have to do with the ability to read? I can reliability data and BMWs and VWs consistently rank far lower than Toyotas...

Lucky you. Let me know how they're doing when they hit 400K miles...

Refresh my memory; how many BMWs have you
owned?
driven?
sat in?

What does owning one have to do with the ability to read? I can reliability data and BMWs and VWs consistently rank far lower than Toyotas...

Wow! So you ARE an expert- by BITOG standards, anyway.

Do I detect a hint of sour grapes?
As I've said before, if I faced driving the same car-particularly a soul-slaughtering anodyne appliance-for 400K miles I would just cut to the chase and jump off a very tall building.
That said, if you actually enjoy what I consider to be eternal automotive purgatory, have at it.

Not everyone cares to drive the same vehicle for 400K miles.

It took me 14 years to put on 86K miles on my 530i. At this rate, it would take me 46 more years to get to 400K.

I have less than 150K miles on the Club Sport and I've had it for almost 25 years.

I'd probably be 150 years old before any reached that kind of mileage. Assuming we kept them indefinitely. I don't expect to reach 150...

The wife and I do enjoy our vehicles. We are enthusiasts. If you want to drive the same vehicle for 400k miles, have fun.

As a former mechanic, I have the tools and experience to fix anything which might go wrong. I haven't had to repair anything on the BMW's yet... Sorry to disappoint your preconceived notions...

I'd probably be 150 years old before any reached that kind of mileage. Assuming we kept them indefinitely. I don't expect to reach 150...

The wife and I do enjoy our vehicles. We are enthusiasts. If you want to drive the same vehicle for 400k miles, have fun.

As a former mechanic, I have the tools and experience to fix anything which might go wrong. I haven't had to repair anything on the BMW's yet... Sorry to disappoint your preconceived notions...

There is nothing preconceived about my notions...they are all backed up by hard data...of course I'm sure your BMWs are the most reliable vehicles on the road, regardless of what the data says...

There is nothing preconceived about my notions...they are all backed up by hard data...of course I'm sure your BMWs are the most reliable vehicles on the road, regardless of what the data says...

Like I said, If you enjoy operating a lackluster appliance for 400K miles that's your choice. As for me, I find that life is much too short to drive unengaging, uninspiring, and boring transportation modules. I know for certain that I don't envy you.
But I doubt that the converse is true.

Whatever buddy. Maybe you can find that 0% loan you were asking about, and buy something fun for a change...

I think your problem is that you don't know how to parse the data. You'll see things like 200 problems per 100 cars and then maybe something else like 100 problems per hundred. But what that really means is that on average, you get two problems on a "problematic" car and maybe just 1 problem on an excellent car. But that doesn't take into account the mannerisms of the particular car model. Sometimes the higher priced ones end up with more owners who are more demanding and complain about the smallest things. Or it's just the law of averages, some will have more complaints than others. When you read the forums you find lots of people who never ran into problems with cars that were supposed to be big disasters. There's people out there driving around with 200k on their 2006 E-350 which had bad balance shafts. A large percentage of them were bad, but not 100%. There are many who recommend against AWD on MB, but there seem to be few problems with it and I haven't had any issues with my two so far.

Back