Anyone got something to say with Husky 3-Ton Jack Stand?

I'm on a look out for a new jack stand because of the re-call and it seems like this jack stand is the only one I can get right now that looks trustworthy but I couldn't find anything on it except for the site reviews.

Has anyone ever used these stands and what you guys think of them?

I've never heard anyone say they've experienced a jack-stand failure, so a poll would be tough to objectively apply to various makes.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
I've never heard anyone say they've experienced a jack-stand failure, so a poll would be tough to objectively apply to various makes.

Yeah, it might be self selecting. That is you will only hear from the ones where it was fine and the ones where it failed on them, well they're dead and the dead don't post on BITOG....

True enough.

I didn't dig too deeply into the recall. Is it preemptive or were there casualties?

I do WANT two new stands and know that this recall has got me thinking two and three times before buying from HF. Not when competitors are not much more.

^ That had nothing to do with whether they were cheap. That happened because you were irresponsible in examination or use.

The HF jack stand situation is about defects, and defects can occur with any stand no matter the price.

It is on you to inspect them, the same whether they are cheap or expensive. There is nothing wrong with cheap jack stands if they are manufactured properly. Steel is not that expensive. On the contrary, after a certain point a person would have to be foolish to pay a premium to get the same job done because they relied on marketing rather than common sense and real life observation. However, cheap doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest possible, in that case something has to give to end up at that lower price point and quality control is the usual area where that happens.

Plus, those Sunex 3 ton are a bad idea. Not only overpriced, but their base is too small a footprint so they are more dangerous than the average lower cost 3 ton stands using an A-frame. It is so pathetic when they make something like that and don't give customers a larger base to save on metal, yet still charge way more than appropriate for what a little more metal would've cost, and yet they go and paint them red. Ridiculous, someone who never used a jack stand in their life was on the marketing department team and suggested that.

There is nothing at all wrong with the standard A frame design used on the HF jack stands. Millions of people have used them safely for decades. The problem is when there are manufacturing defects, as with any product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
^ That had nothing to do with whether they were cheap. That happened because you were irresponsible in examination or use.

The HF jack stand situation is about defects, and defects can occur with any stand no matter the price.

It is on you to inspect them, the same whether they are cheap or expensive. There is nothing wrong with cheap jack stands if they are manufactured properly. Steel is not that expensive. On the contrary, after a certain point a person would have to be foolish to pay a premium to get the same job done because they relied on marketing rather than common sense and real life observation. However, cheap doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest possible, in that case something has to give to end up at that lower price point and quality control is the usual area where that happens.

Plus, those Sunex 3 ton are a bad idea. Not only overpriced, but their base is too small a footprint so they are more dangerous than the average lower cost 3 ton stands using an A-frame. It is so pathetic when they make something like that and don't give customers a larger base to save on metal, yet still charge way more than appropriate for what a little more metal would've cost, and yet they go and paint them red. Ridiculous, someone who never used a jack stand in their life was on the marketing department team and suggested that.

There is nothing at all wrong with the standard A frame design used on the HF jack stands. Millions of people have used them safely for decades. The problem is when there are manufacturing defects, as with any product.

Manufacturing defects do occur at times. However, the QC/QA (testing/inspection) procedures must be robust enough to prevent the release of materials under normal circumstances. It is not on the consumers typically to be able to detect defects prior to, or during purchase. Consumers buy products based on reviews etc., and then deal with them based on experience. Consumers end up reporting defects when they encounter obvious defects, or stop using the product etc. A consumer not being able to detect defective jack stands does not make the consumer irresponsible due to lack of examination or use. It is purely the responsibility of the manufacturer. Even well informed and knowledgeable consumers are 2nd tier in this particular instance. When manufacturers make changes without fully vetting the impact of those changes on the product for equivalent or better form, fit or function, but cost benefit's, such issues can crop up.

Originally Posted by Dave9

You're very quick to jump to conclusions. For the record the stands I had never failed, but after lots of use the engagement pawl got loose enough where they would creak under certain conditions. The jack I had failed due to a seal internally, and it failed while I was lifting something up. Thankfully I'm not irresponsible as you suggest and nobody was hurt and no damage was done to equipment. Be careful how you word things in the future, sorry I touched a nerve.
wink.gif

Buying quality products that are overbuilt for your needs in the case of jack stands DOES have to do with if something is cheap or not.

I don't have the Sunex stands, I have 22 ton stands I use for cars, and farm equipment. I simply used those as an example of what pin style jack stands looked like.

You can't get quality jack stands for $30-40. Roll the dice if you want to take the chance. You'll probably be okay but it's not because you have a quality tool.

We were all brought up to trust jack stands over jacks … but the junk castings, poor welds, and overall mis match of the latch … not sure I would not trust my 12 ton bottle jack before a 3 ton jack stand or load share with both.

Of course if possible … go with ramps first choice …

You should google and see how many fail …
Think I found more on bing

Last edited:
Back