Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 Update) is out

Windows 10 lets the user delay updates. I delay feature updates by 60 days, and security updates not at all.

i've been a Linux user, no more BS windows for me. really no need anymore. on the rare occasion i do need windows, i have it in a VM.

Originally Posted by Killer223
i've been a Linux user, no more BS windows for me. really no need anymore. on the rare occasion i do need windows, i have it in a VM.

This, except I haven't used it since Win7.

Can't believe I had to pay for Pro just to defer feature updates. Set it to 365 days and see ya on the next fresh install.

You have to be a masochist to take a properly working system and jeopardize it with the windows update lottery.

It's something that people do because they don't know any better and are advised by pretend experts, that aren't experts because if they were, they'd have assessed the risk vs benefit ratio and already have a secure computing environment.

Ask me how many times I've had legacy win2k or XP boxes compromised. They are so old, they must be a pandemic level risk right? No. Do not trust idiots that pretend that based on their own inability to be safe, that you should listen to them. That is the exact opposite of emulating success.

There are so many people clueless about security that just think "I'm safe if I apply updates" when that turns out to be the opposite of the truth.

I know, this is so contrary to the party line that pretend experts spew, that you won't accept it. You don't want to accept that you were a puppet that just did things that only risked imploding windows.

Funny how that works. Microsoft is desperately marketing how important they are to you. Desperate because they're cooking up their new profit model.

Thanks! This is one of those the cup is half full/half empty things. I have a family member running Pro so will delay installing. I was loving Windows until recently. I had two credit cards stolen and found something installed on my Windows machine. Wiped that install and am back to Ubuntu for a security reasons.

I must be the luckiest guy out there then. Since going to Windows in early 2017 I've done every update as it comes out and can't remember having major issues. Installed it on 2 of 3 machines and so far so good. The 3rd is installing as I type this.

Originally Posted by itguy08
I must be the luckiest guy out there then. Since going to Windows in early 2017 I've done every update as it comes out and can't remember having major issues. Installed it on 2 of 3 machines and so far so good. The 3rd is installing as I type this.

Indeed.

I package and push updates to ~1800 corporate PC's. Patches go through many layers of testing before you ever see them. Trying to compare W10 to windows 3.1, 95, ME, XP is a mistake. Those old systems were the wild west and the hardware was all over the place for compatibility.

The hackers and their tools have also evolved to keep pace and the result of a security fail can be catastrophic whether it is financial or just your family photos being lost. Patch your machines and be well.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
I package and push updates to ~1800 corporate PC's. Patches go through many layers of testing before you ever see them. Trying to compare W10 to windows 3.1, 95, ME, XP is a mistake. Those old systems were the wild west and the hardware was all over the place for compatibility.

The hackers and their tools have also evolved to keep pace and the result of a security fail can be catastrophic whether it is financial or just your family photos being lost. Patch your machines and be well.

*waits for scathing condemnation from Dave9*

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
Can't believe I had to pay for Pro just to defer feature updates. Set it to 365 days and see ya on the next fresh install.

Yeah Im still on 1511.

Back