Considering 2019 VW Jetta

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Hey guys, looking for some feedback, preferably from owners of the redesigned 2019 and 2020 Jetta models.
We test drove the S and SE trims and like the SE trim best.
I understand it is cheapened out in some regards, like having torsion beam suspension in the rear, but overall I like how it drives on rough roads and it is a nice highway commuter. The 1.4L engine has lots of low end TQ and feels fine to me.
I also read about the 8spd transmission grinding noises and on the S model we tested I heard it during slow acceleration, however reading up on it, I have yet to find any actual failures. So it seems that it may only be the nature of this transmission and its programming.

Please share your experience.

Originally Posted by pbm
Ask ARCOgraphite what he thinks of the 2019 Jetta.....

He's not happy with it for the most part. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by pbm
Ask ARCOgraphite what he thinks of the 2019 Jetta.....

He's not happy with it for the most part. I'm sure he'll chime in.

Has Arco had a car that he liked and/or didn't claim to have had fallen apart under him? No offense but as always, grains of salt may be required.

I wonder, do VW torsion axles bend like they used to? I think mine was bent after 200-250k, causing toe-in. [I got conflicting opinions on how to fix, shimming good/bad, and after looking up the price to replace (plus all other repairs it needed) I decided to move on. Now that I have a full independent rear suspension, I find... it toes anyhow, despite being aligned, so maybe torsion beam isn't worse than IRS. So I'm no longer "anti" torsion beam, like I was after that incident.]

I would look at a new leftover 2019 awd Alltrack. 6 year 72k miles warranty. 1.8 liter turbo, available in manual or auto from the low $20's

The 1.4 has plenty of power and returns very good mileage numbers, the 19 R-Line does as good as the 2012 TDI did. (low 40s making no effort)

The SE gets you the better radio with CarPlay, V-Tex interior and a spare tire (not full size, but a full size will fit) and accompanying tool kit and jack, and of course the sunroof.

19 gets you the 7 years, 20 you can get an R-Line with a manual I believe if that interest you.

The noise thing is just a bunch of whining by well whiners... I've yet to hear of a failure that could be attributed to the noise... it is an Aisin automatic transmission it is going to be fine.

The biggest thing might be finding the color and accessory packages you want, we found most were identically equipped, the color combination we really wanted was rare, we found only one within 800 or so miles in an SE, ended up with the R-Line because it has at least partially light interior...

We'd buy the car again, it has been no trouble...

earlier non DI VW's were great, 200 thou on my traded 2001 1.8T jetta 5 spd manual of course. today simple is better + DI is a crap shoot especially with a turbo!! good luck

Before buying the Passat i was interested in the Jetta and really liked how it drove and looks. I would have had no issue purchasing that vehicle. I got the Passat because it was a demo and the price was right.

Originally Posted by benjy
earlier non DI VW's were great, 200 thou on my traded 2001 1.8T jetta 5 spd manual of course. today simple is better + DI is a crap shoot especially with a turbo!! good luck

Yawn.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by benjy

Yawn.

SO, the roads and highways shoulders should be plugged up by bombing made in Tennessee or hecho in Mexico vehicles....

RE: DI, I was adviced on this forum for my AT '16 VW GSW that I should drive it like ... it should be driven.
Had not trouble over the Smokies with adult, kids + luggage. And it was driven by wifey, who has some really light foot.

Most new Jettas here in ATL, will beat my Mazda5 from a stop or in traffic without even trying to be sporty.

I love my 1.4T. I have a 5 speed though. I have heard that every 19 Jetta with an automatic grinds. I have yet to read about a failure though. Im pretty sure its the same transmission that goes in the Corolla, correct me if im wrong.

I routinely get above advertised MPG. It also depends on how you drive it though.

My experiences with VW have been very positive. This is the 3rd Jetta in the family.

Yes, I have the last gen - a 2018. for the price, I love the car. the torque makes it lively - the quickest of its genre and price range. Handling is decent, but not as good as our Sentra SR. I cant imagine that you would notice the downgrade to a torsion bar except on a track. The transmission is made in Japan by Aisin Warner; yes, I have read the complaints but would not hesitate to get one. I have 32k on ours in 18 months. not one spot of trouble. the MPG is what you make of it: if you stay close to the speed limit, upper 30's and beyond. city driving or drive it like you stole it and you'll see closer to 30. I've done a few 1000 mile days/weekends with it and it is comfortable.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I love my 1.4T. I have a 5 speed though. I have heard that every 19 Jetta with an automatic grinds. I have yet to read about a failure though. Im pretty sure its the same transmission that goes in the Corolla, correct me if im wrong.

I routinely get above advertised MPG. It also depends on how you drive it though.

My experiences with VW have been very positive. This is the 3rd Jetta in the family.

Similar to the one in the Camry, the Corolla gets a CVT with a launch gear.

If you find a good deal, I would bite. For the price point they are a good, well rounded car. Plenty of torque and excellent MPG.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The transmission is made in Japan by Borg Warner. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aisin (Toyota). And most manufacturers that use that tranny. had/have issues except BMW (1 and 2 series with transverse engines). For VW was programming though not as bad as Toyota.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The transmission is made in Japan by Borg Warner. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aisin (Toyota). And most manufacturers that use that tranny. had/have issues except BMW (1 and 2 series with transverse engines). For VW was programming though not as bad as Toyota.

I think any brand is better than Toyota when it comes to programming transmission.

Back