Flare wrenches

I'd like to buy a set of 'good' flare wrenches (related thread on brake lines to this) and am looking for some comments.... I know for certain I need 8mm and 10mm and need to confirm, but I want to say the bleeder screws on the Fusion are 7mm. I can get combinations with 7 x 8 mm, 9 x 11 mm, and 10 x 12 mm so right off the bat, I at least want/need the first and third ones. Not a lot of companies seem to offer them in 8 mm let alone 7 mm but I have found them from Snap On or Proto. I've found the Proto wrenchs from Zoro and they range from $17-20 each while Snap On (list price) is $45, $23, and $48. That's ridiculously expensive for me and something I can't, or won't, justify. My hope is to maybe buy them from a Snap On dealer/truck through a "friend". If I were able to do that, does anyone have any ballpark amounts these would sell for ? I presume they don't sell for list price !

I've tried SK, Williams, Wright, Gearwrench, and I think some others but they don't have all of these, typically the smallest one.

Don't use a flare wrench on bleeder screws-- break them loose with a 6 point socket then use ordinary end wrench to open/close.

Flare wrenches really are for a single purpose, flare nuts.

^ Agreed, a thinner, normal wrench allows having tubing better seated on the bleeder, while a thicker flare wrench has more purchase on difficult line nuts.

Originally Posted by mk378
Don't use a flare wrench on bleeder screws-- break them loose with a 6 point socket then use ordinary end wrench to open/close.

This. A socket, or box end wrench, heat if you need it.

Last edited:
The Proto flare wrenches are good quality. Metric set J3700M has 7x8, 9x11, 10x12, 13x14, 15x17. The set price on Ebay or elsewhere may save you $$ compared to buying the individuals.

The SK wrenches are good as well, but their prices have been creeping up lately.

I agree with the others, no reason to use a flare wrench on a bleeder. Use a deep socket or ratcheting combo wrench.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'd like to buy a set of 'good' flare wrenches (related thread on brake lines to this) and am looking for some comments.... I know for certain I need 8mm and 10mm and need to confirm, but I want to say the bleeder screws on the Fusion are 7mm. I can get combinations with 7 x 8 mm, 9 x 11 mm, and 10 x 12 mm so right off the bat, I at least want/need the first and third ones. Not a lot of companies seem to offer them in 8 mm let alone 7 mm but I have found them from Snap On or Proto. I've found the Proto wrenchs from Zoro and they range from $17-20 each while Snap On (list price) is $45, $23, and $48. That's ridiculously expensive for me and something I can't, or won't, justify. My hope is to maybe buy them from a Snap On dealer/truck through a "friend". If I were able to do that, does anyone have any ballpark amounts these would sell for ? I presume they don't sell for list price !

I've tried SK, Williams, Wright, Gearwrench, and I think some others but they don't have all of these, typically the smallest one.

What i usually do for wrench or sockets sets is look at buying a large set from either SK or Wright that have the largest amount of sizes i need and piecemeal any other ones i need that are not included in the set. Proto is great brand for Price point and most of it being made in the USA. I do mostly try to buy Wright and SK since they do use 100% USA steel as well. There are also places like KB Tools that sell used name brand tools as well

FWIW - typical bleeder spec is about 10 ft/lbs. Avoid the amateurish overtightening.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:

x2

I should clarify, but I do use a 6-pt socket for the bleeders on 2 of our cars to break them loose. It's the Fusion, rear brakes, where the bleeder isn't accessible for a socket (as I recall). I may have been over-cautious by telling myself, "don't use an open-end wrench on there or you'll risk stripping it" so I just called it a night at that point.... I thought a flare wrench would be better suited, hence the quest I'm on.
grin.gif

I have a Matco set, which I think was around a hundred bucks and an 80's set of Craftsman (Danaher, I believe), which are very good quality.

I'm not sure how the current Craftsman line is, but my Matco's are very nice and may be in your price range.

Generally speaking I use flare nut wrenches for flare nuts. For a brake bleeder, I use a 6 point socket, or 6 point box wrench. Having said that if you want a good set of flare nut wrenches I bought Stahlwille from Amazon.de as per Trav's recommendation. They're on par with Snap On, but were less money.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I should clarify, but I do use a 6-pt socket for the bleeders on 2 of our cars to break them loose. It's the Fusion, rear brakes, where the bleeder isn't accessible for a socket (as I recall). I may have been over-cautious by telling myself, "don't use an open-end wrench on there or you'll risk stripping it" so I just called it a night at that point.... I thought a flare wrench would be better suited, hence the quest I'm on.
grin.gif

If you look at SnapOn for brake bleeder wrenches you see all kinds of odd shapes. The one I mentioned above is "L" shaped with a different size on each end. They have many other shapes. My Dad had a supply of cheap wrenches he would weld/bend when he needed a wrench to get around an obstruction.

The operative word is 6 POINT.........ONLY!! Be it wrench or socket. I dont even use 12 pt anymore unless it's one of those few special tight places.

And the hidden tracbar nut on the TJ/XJ/ZJ Jeeps!

I have these and some from Hazet, top shelf and about $110 on the door. Yes, they ship these to the USA and its 20% right off the top because you don't pay the included German tax. Only 4 left so don't overthink it.

Stahlwille ES 24/7

Edit: The larger sizes are 12 point as they should be, 6 point is useless in tight quarters. Quality 12 point fit properly and does not round out heads

Last edited:
I have flare crow's feet too. They have their niche.

WRT line nuts, if it's so rusty it'll round off with an open end wrench, it's so rusty that it'll twist and then break the brake line inside of it. So if I have any doubt I just cut the line and put vise grips or a 6 pt socket on there.

Back