2000 Volvo S80 T6 Oil Recommendations

Hi all,

I have a new to me Volvo with about 144k and figured I should change the oil. I'm just wondering what oil you'd recommend for longevity with this turbo 6 cylinder. Thanks!

Any A3/B4 Euro spec oil.

I've used, with good UOA and excellent results, MOBIL 1 0W40, Castrol 0W40, Pennzoil Euro 5W30 and 5W40.

The big thing with this engine is keeping the PCV system clean, or it'll start drinking oil, and then blow out the cam seals. If you start using oil, replace all the PCV system components before it gets worse.

And...
welcome2.gif

Good point. Volvo is all over the place on viscosity for these engines which is part of the reason I'm asking, however my manual recommends 5W40 or 10W30 for my climate and ACEA A3/B3 certified

The owners manual on this specifies a 5W30, but then, in very fine print, it suggests that a 0W30 or a 5W40 should be used for hard driving.

It mentions A1/B1, but it's a 20 year old manual, and subsequent TNN recommend the A3/B4 after a ton of Volvos of that vintage had major sludge issues.

For example: https://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Lubrication%20System%20Contamination%20Cleaning.pdf

Volvo went to a 7,500 mile OCI that year, in partnership with Castrol, and specified a euro long-drain oil. But...

Volvo NA told its dealers, "use Castrol 5W30" and they promptly went out and bought bulk, conventional, 5w30 and used that on every new Volvo. A few years later the sludge parade started.

So, use a long drain specified oil, like the above mentioned, and avoid the ugliness that resulted in Volvo having to do a recall and issue the TNN.

Matt - you replied as I was typing....

So, you're fine with any viscosity you choose, though I've found that the 0W40, or 5W40, does better for consumption in the XC-70 which is a bit of an oil user. Both of my T5 wagons burn less than 1/2 QT over a 7,500 mile interval.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Astro. I was actually leaning toward the Mobil 1 since it's the only one readily available in my area. From the looks of it this engine was subjected to some long OCIs on conventional based on the varnish in the head but it's nothing too bad. The examples in that TNN look crazy.

Yeah grade (viscosity) is largely irrelevant with ACEA specifications, A3/B4 is more stringent than A3/B3. Astro has a good suggestion and any major name-brand oil that carries that certification would be a great choice.

The MOBIL 1 is a great choice because it's very available at places like Walmart or Amazon for about $25/jug. It meets all the specs and will do well in your car.

At that mileage, please check the PCV. (Volvo calls it a flame trap).

Matthews Volvo Site or Swedespeed have details. It's about $300 in parts if you need to replace everything and there no good shortcuts on that job. You gotta' do it right, or you'll be doing it again.

Definitely will check the PCV which thanks to it's wonderful placement means I'll need a new intake gasket right?

Originally Posted by MattV922
Definitely will check the PCV which thanks to it's wonderful placement means I'll need a new intake gasket right?

Yes, as well as several other seals and gaskets.
It basically like a mini-rebuild. After this repair you'll be much more familiar with the confines of your engine compartment.

Ugh another engine compartment to get acquainted with haha. I was hoping I'd be done with that for a while after swapping 2 Subaru engines and transmissions and a Kia transmission for family in the last couple months...

I'd be more worried about the transmission in that car. It uses a GM 4T65-EV (Gm trans with a custom bellhousing for Volvo). They weren't reliable behind 3100's, and they CERTAINLY aren't reliable behind the torque of that 2.8 T6. Add a big cooler and use good quality fluid!

Last edited:
Currently it shifts great and the fluid looks perfect so I'm hoping I'll at least get close to the 200k mark before needing to yank it and rebuild it.

Hello Matt,

This the other Volvo driving "astro" replying. Personally I have had a lot of luck with both M1 0w-40 and M1 10w-30 High Mileage in my Volvo of similar vintage. If you search my posts you will find some UOAs for these oils with well below average wear metals. Presently I am running M1 5w-30 EP as an experiment, but two jugs of 10w-30 HM are ready and waiting for the next change. The only objective advice I can give you is that highway mileage was at its best with the 0w-40. Astro14 knows his Volvos, so pay attention to what he has to say.

Best Regards,

Bob

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it. Looks like I'll be going with the Mobil 1 0W40 because Wally World always has it for cheap. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if it has any group IV base oil in it?

Back