Lots of filter talk here - how about home hvac air filters

Theres lots of talk about any type of filter under the sun here. May I pick your brains on air filters for home hvac?
I'm looking for an alternative to the 3m fpr 10/ merv 13 filters that are $20 each. My home uses 2 at a time.

I'd like to stick to merv 13 or above providing my hvac wont become restricted. It seems impossible to shop these days and get truth based information other than the forums.

There is a company called Nordic Pure they are either in Texas or Oklahoma.

They have been very good to work with, I have been using them for about two years now.

I have an odd sized 4 inch panel filter for my new house, and they had a variety of filters in that size and all different MERV ratings.

Price was about half of the box store price, and delivered rather quickly.

I actually had one problem, they put the wrong filter in the box once, and they resolved the problem and picked the old filter up at my door.

If you look online they have a 10 or 15 percent coupon usually.

Originally Posted by csandste
HVAC people I've talked to say that high efficiency filters make problems. The last one to do an install actually recommended fiberglas.

I agree. But it really depends on what your blower was made to work with. I.E.- if you have an old furnace that originally used fiberglass, keep using it or you will impede air flow.

I have found that 20x25 for example doesn't mean 20x25. The AC companies-mine is Carrier-seem to have made slight "adjustments" so that only their $$ filter fits. I found a company called IAQ Source in Indiana that has my filters in the exact size and the quality seems as good or better. Cheap or free shipping. Been around since 03. Mine uses the 4" thick, but with some pets in the house I use a cheap $1 pre-filter in the intake and toss it frequently, c/o the real one every few months.

Originally Posted by JustinH
There is a company called Nordic Pure they are either in Texas or Oklahoma.

They have been very good to work with, I have been using them for about two years now.

Also like Nordic Pure filters.

Use Merv-8 filters. I feel this is a good balance between filtering and air flow.

+1 on the el cheapo fiberglass filters recommended by the HVAC guy. They cost like $20 a dozen and seem to trap dust just fine and can change them often and not feel like i have a leaky wallet.

Like any filter the tighter the filtration the more the obstruction to flow so more surface area is needed. Old or new blower makes no difference a loaded up filter will cause the blower motor to pull A LOT MORE current $$$ and the air coming from the registers will be less so sunny side or upstairs rooms may not get enough circulation.

I used the 3M high efficiency filters along with a pre filter and an electrostatic. Managed to get 21 years from the furnace.

Thanks for all the replies!
I have used regular fpr 4 for the 6 years I've had the house. New 5 ton hvac system installed last summer courtesy of a good friend of mine and his recommendation was also el cheapo fiberglass changed often.
But I notice lately the lady and I get congested or I'll wake up with a sore throat over night with ac, I'm assuming allergies as I'm only getting older (newly minted 31 years) so im looking to go way up in filter efficiency.

Well there are a lot of variables when choosing type of filter. If you have a single cold air return, and a 1 inch thick fillter, then the fiberglass recommendation is right on.

Remember, HVAC filters are to protect the blower not to clean your air. If you are having dust problems or allergies, maybe consider a free standing air cleaner. We have one of those and it works good. I run it in the bedroom at night.

My house came with manual J paperwork, and has multiple cold air returns, and a 4 inch thick panel filter. They recommended a MERV 13. I have been using a MERV 11 or 12 from Nordic Pure, and feel its a good balance as well.

My last house had a single air return choked with a 1 inch panel filter. I used fiberglass and replaced them every 3-4 weeks.

Get a media filter cabinet where the filter is about 5" wide. AprilAire sells the cabinet. I just requested one to be installed on my system. About $400 with some discounts.

When I fix any problem, I like to use a multi-pronged approach.

After you choose the 'best' Filter, take a look at your Vacuum Cleaner.
I always had a Central Vacuum that I thought was great / then I learned differently.

Last Month, being bored at home, I ordered (online) a Shark Model NV-751 from Home Depot.
I was really surprised at how much more dirt it picked up.
After every room, I was emptying the canister / I will not actually admit that to anyone in person.
1) The dirt is caught by a fine metal Filter Screen
2) Air then goes thru a 1 inch Foam Filter (before motor)
3) Air then goes thru a HEPA Filter (before exhausting into room)
ALL Filter are washable to be reused.
* * * Puts to shame any Vacuum that just has a Filter Bag.

So what I'm saying is: If possible, reduce the dirt in the room before the Cold-Air Return picks it up.

I am not affiiliated with Shark or Home Depot in any way.

Last edited:
I can tell you what NOT to get. Anything with 3M brand on it!

Yes, this is my specific situation, but they are really junk in this department. My A coil has a UV light underneath it. The filter rack is just below that with the UV (14" Lightstick) mounted within about 10" above it. The filters are the very common 20X20X1 size. MERV 10.

The UV light disintegrated the filter media in just about 2 months! The UV light kills bacteria and mold and keeps the A coil free of those germs. I called 3M and they basically said TOUGH S#!t. No refund, nothing.
I've used other filters from different suppliers without incident, for the total 3 month projected life.
My suggestion to them was to at least put a warning on the package, which I'm sure fell on deaf ears.

At least I know that the UV lamp is doing its job I guess!

I have a honeywell stand alone hepa filter downstairs we began running 24/7
I have 2 roombas. One upstairs 1 downstairs that run every day. Plus we have a dyson pet that we run once a week or so. All laminate/tile floors. We dont wear shoes in the house, we have a housekeeper weekly and are both very type A. our problem I thought was we liked to leave windows open, bringing pollen and dust in because my filters would be quite saturated after 90 days.
2 returns, 16x24x1 which I know we need another as has been recommended by my hvac guy we just haven't got around to it yet and that is of my fault. He wants to add another return and another vent or 2. Home originally had a 3 or 3.5 ton unit, so he gets on my back weekly about adding more airflow and I've just dropped the ball.
But besides the fact, I was just looking for a more cost effective solution than $40 a whack. I'll look into the nordic pure.

The air filter cleaning standards are mixed between the MERV (min efficiency reporting value) standard and Home Depots FPR # system (filter performance rating).

The OP is correct that sizes are mere suggestions which is why you often see two measurements on them - the " approximate" and actual size.

The standard 1" filter is basically terrible. If you are stuck with that Nordic pure is what I'd go for.
Much more than a Merv 8 on a 1" and you'll start loading the motor.
The thing 1" filters are best for is taping them to a box fan creating a makeshift air filter.

If at all possible have a larger cabinet installed that uses a 4" or larger pleated box or accordion fold out type flex filter.

The larger media will flow better that the 1" media at the same rating and last longer as well.

like a Bryant EZ- flex. (my fav type) they store and ship much better than box filters.

I like that better than the absolutely gigantic 16x25x5 box filter Carbon Coated Merv 16 beast Im using now.

Cleaning the air in the house goes a long way toward getting longer life our of your furnace/ AC filter.

UD

Originally Posted by Donald
Get a media filter cabinet where the filter is about 5" wide. AprilAire sells the cabinet. I just requested one to be installed on my system. About $400 with some discounts.

Yeah, like many people mentioned, I wouldn't throw in a higher MERV filter to try clean your air. I have one of these AprilAire models with the 5" filter as mentioned above. It's supposedly MERV 16, and it lasts a year. They're not too expensive either, a 4-pack on Amazon is $121 right now, so only about $30/year for a MERV 16.

At $40/filter multiple times per year, your ROI is pretty quick. I've also anecdotally noticed a decrease in dust build up around the house, which is a win-win.

HVAC filters are to keep the condenser coil clean. NOT FOR cleaning the 'air' in the conditioned space.

Back