13 Corolla U341E Filter

My daughter's 2013 Corolla has 197k miles on it. U341E trans with 19 pan bolts. We purchased it not too long ago. The transmission has never been touched. I want to drop the pan and change the filter.
I normally go OEM for trans filters when I change them, which is usually a few bucks more than aftermarket.
Imagine my surprise when I found out the filter only from Toyota is $100!
I checked AAP, Napa, and O-Reilly and they are all about $20 for a kit that includes the O-ring and pan gasket.
First, why such a huge price gap between the two?
Second, (and I may be dating myself here), but doesn't an OE quality trans filter always have "Filtran" stamped on it? Otherwise it is just junk made in China or Taiwan?
Is there a good quality aftermarket filter kit to be had for this vehicle? Are any of the Napa, etc. Filtran filters?

Wow, 197K on a 2013? That's like 28K per year, or better.
You will probably never do this again. I would use the Toyota filter. Check on-line; maybe you can do better.

I had an 03 many years ago I bought from a hospital and they used it for out of state deliveries. I sold it at 203,000 miles and it ran like a top. I bet it's still on the road today and I sold it about a dozen years ago. I would buy another Corolla but went to Civics instead but both are long lasting vehicles IMO. $100 seems like quite a lot for a filter but I have no idea what they cost.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wow, 197K on a 2013? That's like 28K per year, or better.
You will probably never do this again. I would use the Toyota filter. Check on-line; maybe you can do better.

We just recently bought it from a friend of mine that is a regional sales guy. My daughter needed something to go to college with, and he was very kind to us on the price.
All of those miles on NC highways. He said that he ran Valvoline FS from a quick oil change place with 6k mile OCI.
He basically did nothing else to it. I've changed spark plugs, air filter, pollen filter, coolant, and front brakes on it. I plan on doing to PCV valve this coming weekend. I want to to the trans filter next after that, leading to my post and questions here.

I used the ATP B207 in my 2010 1.8 Vibe, mainly because I like their pan gasket. The original filter was a USA made Filtran; the ATP said Taiwan.

The ATP filter came with a crush washer for the drain plug, but it's thinner than OEM so I couldn't reuse it. NAPA has thick washers like the Toyota pieces: ATM PB2403.

I would suggest doing a few drain-and-fills before changing the filter. I bought the Vibe used with about 28k miles, and changed ATF soon after. The used fluid looked like motor oil, so I did another drain, then a pan drop, and drained it at every oil change for awhile.

Check into the service procedure for the PCV. I planned to do mine until I found out the intake manifold needs to be removed to access the valve.

I just recently did this on my 2012 corolla. ATP filter from amazon did great for me. Came with gasket and crush washer.

I did 2 drain and fills prior and used lubegard red after pan drop and filter change. Shifts are more defined and quicker to me.

Back