2017 Nissan Titan SV 5.6

Just purchased this 2017 Nissan Titan SV used but no way of finding what oil was used.

What's the most popular brand used in these 5.6 Liter engines?

Thanks

A number of posters here change oil brand on every change, and suffer no ill consequences. So I'm not sure I'd sweat over what other posters have used. Pick your favorite brand and go from there.

Don't know how different the 2017 5.6L is from 2005-ish 5.6L, but I know in early days of Titan some owners had occasional timing chain issues, similar to VQ v6 engines, and 40-grade motor oils were the saving grace. So I'd use 0w40/5w40 synthetic oil. Mobil1 0w40 and Delo XSP 5w40 are some good ones.

Originally Posted by ThrowinRocks
Just purchased this 2017 Nissan Titan SV used but no way of finding what oil was used.

Thanks

The wife has a 14 armada with the 5.6
Long story short is that after several different UOA, the motor seems to "like" Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 better than the 5-30s
I use the mobil 110 filter on it

Originally Posted by thastinger

Thanks

The wife has a 14 armada with the 5.6
Long story short is that after several different UOA, the motor seems to "like" Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 better than the 5-30s
I use the mobil 110 filter on it

Sounds like a good combination!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I just ran what ever 5w30 Syn I had when I owned a Titan.

I did run the longer Honda sized filter instead of the small nissan filter.

Thanks

Most popular - couldn't tell you. Titan talk can probably help you there.

What I can tell you is this gem of an engine shears oil like a puppy going after the Sunday paper.

Under towing loads it will shear almost anything a full grade down in 7500 miles.

Since 04 I've run everything from 20 for short 3K OCI's to 50 in it, and it's had a very hard life of towing and hauling.

It got fed mostly 0W-40, but Its quietest and "sounds" most happy with 5w-30 Mobil 1 EP.

My advice with any DOHC chain driven engine is to run the very best filter you can get and magnets to keep as many particles as you possibly can out of the chain once it wears past the tensioners range you've got a real job on your hands.

Ive run a Fram ultra XG7317 and magnets on the cans since very early on.

My "ancient" 04 titan crossed 100K just a month or so ago and I have no intention of getting rid if it.
The new NA gas trucks aren't better enough to force my hand and the titan with a tow rear end will still put lots of brand new half tons on the trailer 15 years after its introduction.

Congrats - enjoy.

UD

Thanks

Enjoy your new truck. I love my '11 king cab with the tow package.
At the moment I run Castrol magnatec 5-30 in it, quiet, no tics or tocs. Wix filter that's a bit longer than the stock Nissan.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
This truck calls for 0W-20. You'll get owner opinions here: TITAN TALK

FWIW I've been using Quaker State 0W-20 in my '18 with no apparent issues. Not sure it matters what the previous owner was running.

Yup- Its also interesting to note:

That exact same engine called for 5-W30 from 04 to I think 2017.

The OCI now calls for 5K Max vs the 7500 the 5-30 allowed, I believe this is due to the shearing I mentioned earlier.

UD

Last edited:
I run 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum. A little quieter than the 0-20. The engine is very different that the 2015 and earlier variant, Nissan added variable valve lift in 2016.

If you want peace of mind, change the oil and use your favorite brand. Otherwise you will never have a answer to this question.

There is no best oil. Use a major brand that meets the specs in the owners manual and have no worries.

Originally Posted by stroked93
I run 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum. A little quieter than the 0-20. The engine is very different that the 2015 and earlier variant, Nissan added variable valve lift in 2016.

....and a DI pump.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Nissan called the engine all new when the re-design came out in 2016 in the XD. Maybe it was more than just adding DI, they didn't seem know for sure on that Titan forum.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by UncleDave

Nissan called the engine all new when the re-design came out in 2016 in the XD. Maybe it was more than just adding DI, they didn't seem know for sure on that Titan forum.

Most members here or other forums simply can not explain why grade X or grade Y PCMO would work. Simply with less than bare minimum maintenance a power train lasts a very long time with a few exceptions. Thus I don't take stock when a random guy who had nothing to do with the design or testing of engine says use this to "save" a engine.

Back