Recent Topics
Garden Hose for Gasoline Transfer?
by viscous - 07/05/20 11:55 PM
Changing coolant-water ratio of 50-50 premix?
by TrustyAutos - 07/05/20 11:27 PM
ring terminals - really?
by DirtyOilGuy - 07/05/20 11:27 PM
Which oil is better out of these
by Bazza32 - 07/05/20 11:08 PM
Automatic transmission shift feel
by Spetz - 07/05/20 10:51 PM
Opinions On This Laptop
by BlueOvalFitter - 07/05/20 08:02 PM
Anyone else see Hamlin hood flap fly out?
by 555 - 07/05/20 07:54 PM
Husqvarna AWD with a Honda engine
by yeehaw1960 - 07/05/20 07:02 PM
Recommended car shipper?
by HawkeyeScott - 07/05/20 06:10 PM
My 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T
by strongt - 07/05/20 05:39 PM
Throwing in the towel on local clothing retailers
by Reddy45 - 07/05/20 05:09 PM
Castrol Edge vs Edge EP
by Gene K - 07/05/20 05:03 PM
Car related YouTube channels
by dishdude - 07/05/20 04:59 PM
Suspension Bushings Oil Resistant?
by TacoFergie - 07/05/20 03:43 PM
Building a solar generator
by BeerCan - 07/05/20 03:22 PM
Used CVT fluid in a power steering application
by mahanddeem - 07/05/20 02:06 PM
New Mobil1 EP HM, API SP label design.
by wemay - 07/05/20 02:00 PM
Newest Members
Turboman92, TrustyAutos, TacoFergie, electro, SilentC
71852 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Bailes1992, ArrestMeRedZ, Bazza32, Baddog, advocate, 3 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,468
Posts5,311,705
Members71,852
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application #5439964 05/27/20 08:31 AM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
A
AzFireGuy79 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
So I recently purchased a 2012 Lexus IS250 premium. These are equipped with a 2.5 DI motor. About two years back I switched to Fram ultra in all of my vehicles and will do the same with this one. I’m curious if Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 would be a good choice? Looks like a very stout oil and we’ll suited to my occasional city driving and weekly 45 min work commute. Opinions appreciated!

Last edited by AzFireGuy79; 05/27/20 08:32 AM.
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5439987 05/27/20 09:13 AM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 558
S
Speak2Mountain Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 558
As a former driver of an IS. Magnatec is a good oil, I feel application-wise Mobil 1 EP is by far the best.

What I did:

**Change PVC
** Limit short-tripping
**Warm engine up before heading out
**Driving for 1-2 hours on interstate at sanely high speeds
**Occasional Italian tune up
**Keep OCI's around 7.5 K
**PEA fuel additive on a 1/4 tank of gas (diesel mechanic got me this one)

Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440029 05/27/20 10:13 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,527
C
CT8 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,527
A 5w-20 or 30 would be better.


2015 F150 2.7
2018 F350 6.2
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: Speak2Mountain] #5440059 05/27/20 10:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
B
buster Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
As a former driver of an IS. Magnatec is a good oil, I feel application-wise Mobil 1 EP is by far the best.

What I did:

**Change PVC
** Limit short-tripping
**Warm engine up before heading out
**Driving for 1-2 hours on interstate at sanely high speeds
**Occasional Italian tune up
**Keep OCI's around 7.5 K
**PEA fuel additive on a 1/4 tank of gas (diesel mechanic got me this one)


This is great advice on everything I've read about GDI engines.

Speak2Mountain also said his engine looked very good and he used M1 EP 5w30.

If you're tempted to go boutique, I'd try Driven DI oils specifically formulated for GDI engines or HPL.


2020 - Mazda CX-30 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
2019 - Subaru Impreza - Dealer Oil
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440079 05/27/20 11:25 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,570
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,570
Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
So I recently purchased a 2012 Lexus IS250 premium. These are equipped with a 2.5 DI motor. About two years back I switched to Fram ultra in all of my vehicles and will do the same with this one. I’m curious if Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 would be a good choice? Looks like a very stout oil and we’ll suited to my occasional city driving and weekly 45 min work commute. Opinions appreciated!

Is this engine a light diesel?
Does the owners manual only require 0w20? If not, the mention of Dexos 2 in 5/10w30 might be the way-to-go.


Stay Safe - Stay Healthy
Think things out, before walking down the wrong path.
Keep Your TGDI / GDI engines clean....4k OCI.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum // Mobil-1 EP // Valvoline Synthetics



Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440193 05/27/20 02:37 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,912
C
ChrisD46 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,912
I have used Castrol Magnatec 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 oil and it is a decent oil .
My pick for a GDI synthetic oil goes to Valvoline 5W20 or 5W30 Advanced Synthetic D1 / Gen 2 oils due to low NOACK , very low VII's and great ad pack - suggest an OCI of no more than 5K miles using Fram Ultra oil filter..
Along with above oil my GDI engine regimen is :

*Use Top Tier Gasoline
*Use CRC Intake Valve Cleaner every 12K miles (relatively easy to do)
*Keep PCV clean (or replace regularly)
*Change spark plugs out 10K to 15K miles earlier than OM suggests
*Use Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner right before every oil change (keeps injector spray stream consistent)
*Take vehicle out on the interstate for a 20 minute drive choosing a gear which provides a steady 3.5K to 4K RPM's at least once every 3 to 4 weeks


'17 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI 5W30 PUP / Fram Ultra #9688
'10 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 5W30 (50%) / 5W20 (50%) QSUD / Fram Ultra #9688
'07 Kia Sedona 3.8L 5W30 Castrol EP / Fram Ultra #9999
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: ChrisD46] #5440204 05/27/20 02:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
B
buster Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I have used Castrol Magnatec 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 oil and it is a decent oil .
My pick for a GDI synthetic oil goes to Valvoline 5W20 or 5W30 Advanced Synthetic D1 / Gen 2 oils due to low NOACK , very low VII's and great ad pack - suggest an OCI of no more than 5K miles using Fram Ultra oil filter..
Along with above oil my GDI engine regimen is :

*Use Top Tier Gasoline
*Use CRC Intake Valve Cleaner every 12K miles (relatively easy to do)
*Keep PCV clean (or replace regularly)
*Change spark plugs out 10K to 15K miles earlier than OM suggests
*Use Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner right before every oil change (keeps injector spray stream consistent)
*Take vehicle out on the interstate for a 20 minute drive choosing a gear which provides a steady 3.5K to 4K RPM's at least once every 3 to 4 weeks


approved

Good plan. Chris, 3k-4k rpms for 20 minutes straight? That will certainly get the oil and engine nice and warm, which is what you want.

Mazda found carbon deposits build up when the temps fall below 400C.


2020 - Mazda CX-30 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
2019 - Subaru Impreza - Dealer Oil
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440208 05/27/20 02:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
B
buster Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
SAVAGEGEESE:
How is carbon build up managed and additional blow created from turbo associated with DI?

DAVE COLEMAN:
Carbon buildup on DI intake valves has two contributors. The oil itself getting on the valves, and the valves being at a temperature that promotes the formation of hard deposits.

We've dramatically reduced the oil in the intake stream compared to our last DI Turbo through several measures. First, oil blowing past turbo seals directly into the intake stream has been reduced with better turbo oil seals and lower oil pressure in the turbo itself. Actual blow-by has been reduced across the board with SKYACTIV engines by improving the roundness of the cylinder bores through improved analysis of casting, machining and assembly stresses that can slightly warp the bores. Taking this into account in the design process has given us much better blow-by performance.

Finally, the realization of the sensitivity to intake valve temperature has allowed us to design the cylinder head structure, cooling system and calibration to manage intake valve temperatures to prevent carbon buildup.

To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation.

One of the biggest issues with direct injection engines is a build up of deposits on the intake valve. Mazda determined that this was largely due to the intake valve being too cool. A lot of analysis went into designing the heat paths away from the valves to keep them at the proper temperature to avoid deposit formation.


2020 - Mazda CX-30 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
2019 - Subaru Impreza - Dealer Oil
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440302 05/27/20 05:01 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,070
U
UG_Passat Offline
Offline
U
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 3,070
Should of bought the 350. Intake valve deposits are a non-issue because it has Toyota's D4-S injection system, which has direct AND port injection.


2016 VW Tiguan
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440338 05/27/20 06:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
A
AzFireGuy79 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
So I’ve been an avid user of REDLINE fuel injector cleaner for going on 20 years. I realize the PEA won’t do much of anything in a DI engine, but it will keep the injectors clean and lubricate the upper cylinders.

Appreciate the feedback. I’d like to stick with the 0w-20 as this is what Lexus recommends. Tend to side with the engineers and don’t see much of any benefit going up in viscosity. I realize NOACK is a stat to really pay attention to with these engines. Already changed the PCV. Plan to do plugs( car has 85,000 miles). Also plan to walnut blast the valves when I do the plugs. Car drives great!

Does Mobil 1 list the NOACK of their oils anymore?

Last edited by AzFireGuy79; 05/27/20 06:13 PM.
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440357 05/27/20 06:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
B
buster Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
Noack for Mobil 1:

0w20 EP - 10%
0w20 AP - 8.9%


You can still get AP via Walmart.com.


2020 - Mazda CX-30 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
2019 - Subaru Impreza - Dealer Oil
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: buster] #5440363 05/27/20 06:49 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
A
AzFireGuy79 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
Thanks Buster! If I recall Magnatec is around 11%. I realize there are other things withstanding, but seems like Mobil 1 EP has very little advantage regarding NOACK? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s mileage accrual or the fact I have a 2012, but the 2009 and prior IS cars seem to have more actual issues with carbon. I don’t know of anyone with my vintage IS that have actual issues with carbon. Even if mine did it’s easy to remove the upper and lower intake and clean it out. It’s not nearly as bad as say some Audi’s. And intake has to come off when I change the spark plugs.

Last edited by AzFireGuy79; 05/27/20 07:00 PM. Reason: Addition
Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: ChrisD46] #5440374 05/27/20 07:02 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
A
AzFireGuy79 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
Why such a low OCI with the Fram Ultra? Seems superior to the OEM when looking at particle counts🤷🏻‍♂️

Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: ChrisD46] #5440378 05/27/20 07:05 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
A
AzFireGuy79 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,335
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I have used Castrol Magnatec 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 oil and it is a decent oil .
My pick for a GDI synthetic oil goes to Valvoline 5W20 or 5W30 Advanced Synthetic D1 / Gen 2 oils due to low NOACK , very low VII's and great ad pack - suggest an OCI of no more than 5K miles using Fram Ultra oil filter..
Along with above oil my GDI engine regimen is :

*Use Top Tier Gasoline
*Use CRC Intake Valve Cleaner every 12K miles (relatively easy to do)
*Keep PCV clean (or replace regularly)
*Change spark plugs out 10K to 15K miles earlier than OM suggests
*Use Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner right before every oil change (keeps injector spray stream consistent)
*Take vehicle out on the interstate for a 20 minute drive choosing a gear which provides a steady 3.5K to 4K RPM's at least once every 3 to 4 weeks


Why such a short OCI when using a Fram Ultra? Seems superior to OE?

Re: Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application [Re: AzFireGuy79] #5440401 05/27/20 07:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
B
buster Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 33,466
Originally Posted by AzFireGuy79
Thanks Buster! If I recall Magnatec is around 11%. I realize there are other things withstanding, but seems like Mobil 1 EP has very little advantage regarding NOACK? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s mileage accrual or the fact I have a 2012, but the 2009 and prior IS cars seem to have more actual issues with carbon. I don’t know of anyone with my vintage IS that have actual issues with carbon. Even if mine did it’s easy to remove the upper and lower intake and clean it out. It’s not nearly as bad as say some Audi’s. And intake has to come off when I change the spark plugs.


No problem. The advantage you'd have with the M1 would be oxidation stability and higher temperature protection. Otherwise, most of the synthetic 0w20's are fine. cheers


2020 - Mazda CX-30 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
2019 - Subaru Impreza - Dealer Oil
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™