iPhone6S battery Q

Originally Posted by supton
I think I'll just buy an aftermarket battery. I get the arguments and all, but I just don't see them adding up.

An SE for $200? I'm dubious. If I have to sign up for a phone plan then that is not the cheaper option--I pay $7/month for Tracfone.

Dropping $399 for a new phone may be tempting but I'm dubious about getting my money's worth. It'll need a battery every 1-2 years by the sound of it, and so over a 5 year lifespan that is what, another $150-300 of cost on top? Expensive little toys.

We got a new SE for my wife from Red Pocket for $249 on promo and it includes 6 months of service for free. At which point we are dropping that phone down to their $8.25/month plan (500 min/500 txt/500mb). We could have gotten the same phone from Xfinity mobile for $199 but it's a minimum of $12/month for service and doesn't include the first six months for free. Plus Gazelle gave us $66 for her old 6S.

Remember that your 6S' value essentially drops to zero after OS update support ends for it.

That's not a bad deal. Not sold yet on it though. Plus keeping the old phone as a spare has value here, we have one 6 and three 6S's. Getting an SE has value, but we all just got these 6's like a year ago. Chasing the latest and greatest is fun but expensive.

Edit: IT says MFA only works on one device, so if this goes down I've got problems.

That's an entirely different issue/concern from your battery replacement. What is Apple's resolution if a user's sole device dies hard ? I don't use Apple's 2FA but do you have it enabled on my Google account. Google allows many devices as back-ups.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Edit: IT says MFA only works on one device, so if this goes down I've got problems.

That's an entirely different issue/concern from your battery replacement. What is Apple's resolution if a user's sole device dies hard ? I don't use Apple's 2FA but do you have it enabled on my Google account. Google allows many devices as back-ups.

No idea. I think anything non-work related is using just the phone number for a text message. Work, they know me
smile.gif
and so I'm guessing they would just transfer me over to any new iDevice if something went down hard. If I had to, I could arrange something with IT to get back online. But that would be a problem outside of normal hours, hence the worry.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

They require a "trusted phone number" which can include a line that can receive texts or automated response calls. I guess it's possible to request the 2FA response be sent to the phone number. If the device dies, the SIM should be transferrable to a temporary device. It might even be the replacement device.

Once my battery got to near 80% health percentage, the phone became just a phone only. It wouldn't do much else because the battery life would get sucked out. 10 minute video max. I tried using the "low power" setting and that did help a little.

I thought about replacing the battery, but the two people I know who did were not satisfied with the result and upgraded anyway.

I replaced the batt in my 6s and it was cheapened the [hone has been like new (even better with ios13 ) for over year now.

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued

Remember that your 6S' value essentially drops to zero after OS update support ends for it.

iOS 12.4.7 was released yesterday, for the 5S (2013) and newer devices that won't run iOS 13, including the 6/6S.

That's not a bad deal. Not sold yet on it though. Plus keeping the old phone as a spare has value here, we have one 6 and three 6S's. Getting an SE has value, but we all just got these 6's like a year ago. Chasing the latest and greatest is fun but expensive.

I get what you're saying. Two years ago I bought my 6s for $300. It was new-in-box from my carrier. It was the most I'd ever spent on a phone but I wanted a slice of the iPhone experience. So over the course of those couple years, the battery gradually degraded until I found myself plugging it in whenever I turned around it seemed like. I don't recall now but I want to say it was down to around 89% battery life. It was still a great phone in great shape but I was torn between $49 to have Apple install a new battery or buy the new SE. I choose the SE. Apple Pay makes it really easy. I was able to trade-in my 6s for an $80 dollar credit. That ended up making the SE $319 or $13.29/mo interest free for two-years. I'll double my payments and have it paid off within the year. I bought the unlocked version so no new carrier contracts to sign. And oh man! Having the new battery in the SE is so much better than the degraded 6s; goes without saying. I plug in the SE every night before bed and I've got between 40-60% life left after a days worth of use. FASTER. it is noticeably faster than the old 6s with the latest iPhone 11 chip set. Also, the new camera is really great as well. I also like that with the latest chip, the SE will be iOS supported for many years to come. The 6s, not so much time left on the clock as far as iOS support goes.

If that's still a bit steep for the budget, my carrier, for example, is currently offering a new-in-box iPhone 7 for $200. That may be something to consider too. A plus to that option is the same phone cases for the iPhone 7/8/SE, so what you might invest in a 7 could be repurposed into the SE down the road. A good option for the frugal shopper...

Well, that didn't go well...

So USPS (?) lost the first battery, so I had to get a replacement. That showed up yesterday and so today I replaced it. Mind you, I replaced the battery in a 6 without issue (well had to do it twice as the digitizer stopped working--apparently I didn't set the connectors the first time). Got it swapped and... no camera. Fiddled with the connectors, left the front camera disconnected as I thought it was that at one point, no go. At times the circuit board would heat up real fast when I tried to use the camera so I suspect I damaged one of the ribbon cables (but which one, or has the voltage regulator on the board quit by now?). Not sure it's worth putting any more money into a 6S.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

I think the rest of the phone is working so I'll use it for a while to come--at least until I can go to work and transfer the authenticator stuff to a new phone. It's a shame as I've come to use the camera frequently, far more than I ever did when I had a digital cameras. Not so much for social media as much as for work--take a photo of something, mail to myself, mark up with arrows and the like, and use in presentations and whatnot.

I was using an iPhone 6S from Sept. 2015 until Christmas, when I got an iPhone 11 for Christmas from my Mom. I really liked my iPhone 6S - some have said that the 6S was the first smartphone of the modern generation, or, the oldest phone that is still relevant today.

But, wow, I was really blown away by the battery life of the iPhone 11! That said, I had been periodically checking the Battery Health indicator (I will have had the iPhone 11 for 6 months tomorrow), and it had been at 100%. All of the sudden, after seeing this thread, I checked, and it's all the way down to 94%! That seems like a steep drop for a phone that's only 6 months old. Especially since you guys are saying that it's essentially toast once it gets down into the 80s.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
How deep do you cycle the battery?

Do you mean, how low do I let it get, before recharging?

Yes. Deeper discharge is harder on the battery.

Still using my 6S - replaced battery last december.

Shallower discharge is better than deeper. ABC - Always Be Charging

Still over 100% capacity from the swap. 1768 our of 1715

IOS 13 did a lot to reduce phantom drain and I turn off in uneeded antennae when off the tether.

UD

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 10.29.57 AM.png

Last edited:
Back