Ford yellow (VC-13G) replaces orange (VC-3B)

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Funny to see this posted. My 2014 Explorer is due for a coolant change and Ford Orange is definitely getting harder to find.

Is Dex Cool really the same as Ford Orange?

I'm almost certain that Ford Orange is Dexcool because I saw the Ford spec. on a Dexcool jug....I just can't remember which brand it was. I would use Zerex Dexcool over Prestone Dexcool....for no particular reason...

The way old bottles of VC-3B actually had the Dex-Cool symbol on the bottle.

Here is another wrinkle in the orange-to-yellow mess. Ford released a statement (see link) saying the yellow (VC13) is drop-in compatible with the orange and is safe to top-off existing Ford orange.

Yellow Coolant

Originally Posted by delaware74b
Here is another wrinkle in the orange-to-yellow mess. Ford released a statement (see link) saying the yellow (VC13) is drop-in compatible with the orange and is safe to top-off existing Ford orange.

Yellow Coolant

Ya, I have that printed out and staple it to any invoices if I sell the new coolant. As well as copies for the techs since they didn't believe me at first.

So I hadn't posted this because there wasn't anything official, and their still officially isn't. But the VC-13G is replacing the Ford Specialty Dark Green. We didn't get a bulliten or anything like when it replaced the Orange, but the part number for the Specialty Green, VC-10A2, supercedes to VC-13G with the newest price tape that came out this month. This was a bummer because I would regularly sell the VC-10A2 to Mazda customers that wanted FL-22 in concentrate instead of the 45/55 mix from Mazda. Again, nothing official yet, just a part number supercession.

So I hadn't posted this because there wasn't anything official, and their still officially isn't. But the VC-13G is replacing the Ford Specialty Dark Green. We didn't get a bulliten or anything like when it replaced the Orange, but the part number for the Specialty Green, VC-10A2, supercedes to VC-13G with the newest price tape that came out this month. This was a bummer because I would regularly sell the VC-10A2 to Mazda customers that wanted FL-22 in concentrate instead of the 45/55 mix from Mazda. Again, nothing official yet, just a part number supercession.
VC-13G HAS to be an AMAM universal coolant-Specialty Orange Dexcool and PHOAT Specialty Dark Green are about as far apart on the scale as it gets.

VC-13G HAS to be an AMAM universal coolant-Specialty Orange Dexcool and PHOAT Specialty Dark Green are about as far apart on the scale as it gets.

Like I have said before, doing parts at a dealer can get confusing. Then you have all of the transmission fluid supersessions. I keep all the old charts to I can refer to them when someone tries to say we sold them the wrong thing 6 years ago.

I suspect it is relabeled Prestone AMAM with cor guard. I have NO FACTS at all to back this up. Only theory due to Ford having a TSB specifically calling out use of Prestone with cor guard for use in Transit vans after heater core replacement, the similarity in color and the number of old coolants it is replacing.

So what do I need to put in my recently acquired 2010 Lincoln Navigator? It appears to have orange in there now, which I'm assuming is some flavor of Dex-Cool. My inclination is to put Peak Global Lifetime in it, and everything else I run for that matter.

So what do I need to put in my recently acquired 2010 Lincoln Navigator? It appears to have orange in there now, which I'm assuming is some flavor of Dex-Cool. My inclination is to put Peak Global Lifetime in it, and everything else I run for that matter.
That should have come with Ford Gold (G05) from the factory.

Once you're up in mileage, there is no "life-time" not to mention the whole lifetime thing is rubbish anyway - but yeah, i think Gold is still gold, this yellow replaces orange - but as you might have read, the colour of all these as viewed in the tank/rad can be different, as well as turning another colour once it's running... :)

Really took Ford ages to consolidate on WSS-M97B44-D as their global coolant and I guess now they want to transition to a POAT. Texaco Red/Dex had been fielded by Ford Europe and all of Ford’s foreign subsidiaries by the turn of the century, the lone exception was Volvo which continued to use G48.

Last edited:
That should have come with Ford Gold (G05) from the factory.

The first post on the thread stated that 2010 - 2017 TRUCK: B7 U222N EXPEDITION was approved for the Yellow, would that not also be the same for the Navigator? It uses the same engine and cooling system components, as far as I know.

I have a personal bias against using silicated coolants such as G-05, but if that's what's best, that's what I'll use.

The first post on the thread stated that 2010 - 2017 TRUCK: B7 U222N EXPEDITION was approved for the Yellow, would that not also be the same for the Navigator? It uses the same engine and cooling system components, as far as I know.

I have a personal bias against using silicated coolants such as G-05, but if that's what's best, that's what I'll use.
Navigator is on the end of hte second to last line and on the bottom line. In Ford's cataloging they are different vehicles so they are listed separately.

Yes of course, I see it now. Thank you for replying to my not-so-smart inquiry.

2010 - 2017 TRUCK: B5 U228N NAVIGATOR

I guess the other question would be, is it worth the time and effort to get the orange stuff out of there? I just got the vehicle and the coolant looks very clean in the recovery tank, like it had just been flushed. 133K miles.

And in case anyone was wondering, this being BITOG and all, it has an oil change sticker from the dealer and looks clean on the dipstick.

Yes I'm aware of the timing and cam phaser issues, but the engine runs smooth and quiet, and pulls strongly. Well pulls strongly for a Ford 5.4 anyway, the GM SUVs definitely had more power, especially the Escalade, but that's neither here nor there. We took our Navigator on a 900 mile road trip the first week we had it, got 18.2 MPG in mixed driving and with the cruise set on 75 when we were on the highway with occasional excursions into the 85-90 range for passing.

This SUV is extremely clean and straight and was well cared for, good maintenance practices were followed as per maintenance records logged on the Carfax. I was looking for something a bit newer with less miles but this one made a good impression and cost less so we bought it. Leaves more money in my pocket to buy more fuel. I came from a car that got 26-27MPG combined, now I'm expecting 15ish.

I drove probably 15+ GM SUVs and a couple of Expeditions before buying this one. I started off wanting a GM because of the reliability of the LS series engines plus not having 50 feet of timing chains, but, I found out some things about GM SUVs firsthand that I could not live with. The GM interiors frankly suck after 5-7 years. The Ford interiors hold up better. We only found one GM that didn't have a cracked dash and byzantine rattles, it was a 2012 Escalade Hybrid and we guessed it had been garaged it's whole life. My wife loved it and I liked the idea of slightly better gas mileage, but the dealer was too proud of it for it to come home with us. It also had 22" wheels which I was dead set against. It also seems like the GMs with sunroofs have less headroom than a similar Ford/Lincoln vehicle with a sunroof. That is important to me, because I am 6'7".

Anyway...now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast, topic is COOLANT.

I would leave it and whenever you planned on changing coolant then go and change to yellow.

And as far as the timing chain and phaser issues, ya it is a "thing" but yours should have the updated parts already. But there is plenty of info out there if you want to tackle the job yourself. Ford Tech Makuloco has some really good videos showing the whole repair step by step as well as other things you can do while in there. I have watched his and PTT w/ARod's videos to actually see what my techs do and hopefully make sure I get them everything they need to make their jobs easier and repairs more complete.

I'll be changing over now because I blew a heater hose and I'm just going to go ahead and replace all the coolant hoses while I'm at it. They're all 10 years old as far as I know. My car came with Orange originally, the coolant recovery tank is stamped "Motorcraft Specialty Orange".

Back