spin on fuel filter

I finally have my 15 hp Johnson running great, along with the bearings replaced in the foot. Although it sounds like overkill, I want to put a spin on Racor filter/housing, along with a valve to shut off fuel flow to run the carburetors dry every time I come in from a fishing trip, great thing my buddy taught me long ago, he's never had carburetor issues. Theyre cheap on Ebay. I cant decide which to go with, ill post a link below. I want this motor to last a long time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-FILTER-WATER-SEPARATOR-120AT-FOR-RACOR-R12T-MARINE-SPIN-ON-HOT-SALE/313068242123?hash=item48e45244cb:g:f3wAAOSwTZ9d~cAe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-FILTER-RACOR-GAS-62-320RRAC01-60GPH-10MICRON-OUTBOARD-S3227-ELEMENT-EBAY/153704224392?epid=1322995509&hash=item23c97c5688:g:g10AAOSwFGNWTihn:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateBox!70374!US!-1

Well if these are out in the open they will be OK. If in an enclosed area they no part of the filter can be plastic. Must be all metal. I have a spin on fuel filter for my Mercruiser and all metal. This is USCG rule.

Any fuel line must be USCG approved.

Yeah, go for the metal one. Catch a rope or something on an exposed plastic part and you'll rip the bottom out of it. If you regularly have water in your fuel, it's a problem that needs to be fixed, not worked around. Sounds like you're just adding some additional insurance.

My recommendation is, if you can, go to a store like West Marine (not endorsing them, they are just likely to be around and have stuff you can touch) and look at the stock of replacement canisters and figure out what is reasonably priced and readily available, hopefully in a couple of different brands. As an example, my Tohatsu came with a fuel-water separator and getting replacement canisters from the dealer is fine and all but I can use the Sierra 18-7945 and get it practically anywhere that sells boat stuff and it's not expensive. Pick your filter kit by what has the easiest to get replacement media.

Last edited:
Back