Getting a free 1997 Chevy 1500 extended cab

Its free but I'll have to pay to have it shipped from TN to TX. Looks like it will be $700-$800 for shipping.

It is owned by my brother. Who is totally NOT a car person. Has been used but not maintained too much.

According to him...again, not a car person, it needs.

Hit a deer at some point, needs grille maybe bumper. Probably a new condenser as AC does not work.

Fan does not change speeds...Probably a blower resister.

Needs serious cleaning detail inside and exterior.

Windows don't roll up and down properly. He says they come off of the track. Don't know on this one.

Probably needs new tires and all fluids changed out

Possibly new brake pads.

350 V8 auto. 2WD 130k miles. Used but not abused. No rust.

What is the best place to buy parts?? I'm thinking RA. I don't need premium AC Delco stuff. Truck will not be a daily driver for me.

Last edited:
Congratulations, sounds like a fun project.

I've had good luck with Rock Auto, but it does require a tolerance for finding the best warehouses for shipping costs, a wait for delivery, and paying for return shipping. While I have had good luck with heavy or large items like disc rotors and tailpipes, I haven't had to return anything.

Since it's not the daily driver, I suggest you take your time and consider several sources for your parts, not just RA, and order from whoever has the best deal.

Wherever it is cheaper but of quality. Probably means RA but who knows, doesn't hurt to shop around.

I had the same truck, but a 96'. Loved that thing. Good power out of that Vortec 5.7L too.

I've been fixing up my 08 silverado with ebay parts. I check RA but ebay wins with shipping.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Why not drive it back?

Not sure its road worthy. Plus windows don't roll down properly and no AC.

I am a Advance Auto Parts Speed Perks customer . I compare their local prices + discount to RA prices + freight + discount . Some times AAP wins out , some times RA .

Yesterday I placed an order with RA foe a purge solenoid for 2015 Sonic . RA was roughly 1/2 the price I could find loacally .

Best place to buy parts depends on the part, but probably AC Delco from Rock Auto or Amazon. AC Delco is not that premium at all, or expensive, and will probably be the best option for this truck in most cases. You can get aftermarket parts that are cheaper, but I don't know if I'd trust them.

I'm putting an AC Delco reman steering box in my Explorer because it's half of the price of Motorcraft and I suspect probably the same thing.

You do need to pay attention to grade when applicable. Professional > Advantage.

Originally Posted by FADEC
Why not drive it back?

Just doesn't seem right to have it shipped back when it doesn't sound like it's even worth that much. It's one thing to pay $800 to ship a car that's worth 10k, but this one is worth ???

Would almost seem like it would make sense to go there, spend a few days fixing those items and then drive it back.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by FADEC
Why not drive it back?

Just doesn't seem right to have it shipped back when it doesn't sound like it's even worth that much. It's one thing to pay $800 to ship a car that's worth 10k, but this one is worth ???

Would almost seem like it would make sense to go there, spend a few days fixing those items and then drive it back.

The AC/ Windows might be an easier fix....

Another idea is to put it in the shop while visiting your bro and let them fix the windows, then drive it back. 800 bucks will pay for a fair amount of shop repairs on that and IMO it's money better spent than transport.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Another idea is to put it in the shop while visiting your bro and let them fix the windows, then drive it back. 800 bucks will pay for a fair amount of shop repairs on that and IMO it's money better spent than transport.

I tend to agree--$800 and a week of visiting family while wrenching, with a nice drive afterward... sounds like a vacation to me.

But I get it. It's free, so, $800 to ship is like saying it was $800 to buy a fixer-upper that wasn't pulled apart nor having any major issues (dents, blown motor, etc). Road tripping an unknown vehicle can be the ticket to paying that much if a really big repair hits on the side of the road. Not traveling during this time, plus if one doesn't have vacation time... I could easily see how paying to have it shipped instead is not only the safest but perhaps best route for the OP.

Back