Replacing my Group 27 battery with Group 31 battery. Is that ok?

I have oem battery which is Group 27 battery in my Infiniti QX56/80. I bought the battery brand new at the dealership on 7/16. It has lasted me almost 4 years now and still cranks ok, but it shows signs of dying. I got it checked at Autozone and they confirmed that it cranks just ok but power is going low every day.

My offroad lights do take a toll on my battery since I use them sometimes without even turning my engine on. They are wired directly to my battery. So, I want something more powerful now to handle the extra juice my lights draw from my battery.

I wanted to get the Interstate battery with 810 CCA from Costco, but the nearest Costsco carrying it is 300 miles away. The stores in my area do not carry and refuse to order it for me. It comes with 3 years FREE replacement.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I went to Walmart and almost got the Everstart Maxx with 810 CCA. It comes with 3 years FREE replacement.

I changed my mind and said I will take some more time to decide. I am leaning towards experimenting with something else if it will work. My small and basic research has shown me I could be able to make the group 31 battery fit. This battery is larger in size to my group 27, though I believe I can make it fit my battery tray.

So, my goal now is to purchase this Interstate Battery that I can get locally here for $169 plus tax. It has 950 CCA. Warranty on it is only 1 year free replacement, but I am hoping it would last me more than 3 years. Since my basic oem lasted 4 years, I hope this Interstate which claims better specs than my basic oem, would last too atleast 3 years.

What do you guys think about replacing my group 27 batteries with the group 31 battery. Will it be ok or not wise to do? Also, I have read a lot of good things about Interstate.

I hope if I buy this battery, it can last more than 3 years. That is the point at which I believe I would have had my money's worth and will not be mad if it dies after that. Since my basic oem can give me 4 years. And the Walmart group 27 offers 3 years free replacement.

If it fits the tray, the height works, and if the tie down fits, good to go.
Higher CCA batteries may have thinner plates, which may make them more fragile, shortening battery life.
Things to consider.

And stop using your lights without running the engine. That's what's killing your battery. They last the longest when they're fully charged. When you run them down and don't charge them up, that's how you kill them. A few cents worth of gas would save you about a hundred.

Also, if you run down a car battery, don't expect the alternator to fully charge the battery fully unless you are regularly making several hour long trips. In most cars the alternator is good at maintaining the batteries charge, but not really great at recharging a deeply discharged one; and due to the chemistry of lead acid batteries, they can't be fully charged more quickly. For longest battery life, it's good to throw a charger on it to top it off periodically, especially if you run it down.

With what you are doing you need a battery with a high Reserve Capacity ( RC ). The group 31 has 195 minutes @ max 25 amp draw. If it fits use this one. BUT. You still should charge it up from time to time because of how you use it as others have said. A battery powered LED lantern type light might fit your need better than you car lights, with no worry about a NO start situation.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
And stop using your lights without running the engine. That's what's killing your battery. They last the longest when they're fully charged. When you run them down and don't charge them up, that's how you kill them. A few cents worth of gas would save you about a hundred.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Is a very good point by Wolf...

If you do continue to do that... Charge that battery on a good charger routinely.

Frankly, since you are in TX and want to run the lights with the engine off, I'd just get a deep cycle instead. A QX56 can't need many CCA in TX.

However, almost 4 years isn't all THAT bad. If you just get something top tier with a 5 year warranty, you can just get the remainder pro-rated on the new battery, as long as you're astute enough to recognize worn battery symptoms so it doesn't leave you stranded in BFE.

Used to have the problem of high accessory battery draws on a commercial fleet.
Found that the Odyssey AGM battery worked well, it could draw down deep but recover and stay viable for 3x-4x a lead acid.
This was 10 years ago, not sure if Odyssey is same quality.

Originally Posted by Danno
If it fits the tray, the height works, and if the tie down fits, good to go.
Higher CCA batteries may have thinner plates, which may make them more fragile, shortening battery life.
Things to consider.

It does not fit perfectly, but I think I can make it fit the stock tray.

You should.... Have enough length to make it fit...

My car specs a group 35... But a group 24F does fit even though it's longer.... 10 3/4 for group 24F vs 9 1/16 inch long for the group 35...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359

This is not a routine or a habit, but I find myself doing it every now and then.

Originally Posted by oldhp
With what you are doing you need a battery with a high Reserve Capacity ( RC ). The group 31 has 195 minutes @ max 25 amp draw. If it fits use this one. BUT. You still should charge it up from time to time because of how you use it as others have said. A battery powered LED lantern type light might fit your need better than you car lights, with no worry about a NO start situation.
21.gif

That is why I am looking at the Group 31. But I wish one of my 6 Costco in my area had the Group 27 battery with 3 years FREE warranty. That is my first choice. The fact that I can get it only about 220 miles away defeats the purpose of if I need warranty out of a sudden.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Is a very good point by Wolf...

If you do continue to do that... Charge that battery on a good charger routinely.

Yeah, I plan to stop doing that with my new battery. If I could easily get the Costco Group 27 battery, that would be nice. But I do not like that it is not easily accessible to me.

You should.... Have enough length to make it fit...

My car specs a group 35... But a group 24F does fit even though it's longer.... 10 3/4 for group 24F vs 9 1/16 inch long for the group 35...

Yup, I agree. I think I can make it fit for sure. What bothers me about it is how they claim only 1 year warranty. Seriously, will this battery fail before 3 years? It shows specs better than my OEM. But my OEM battery has lasted me almost 4 years now.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Frankly, since you are in TX and want to run the lights with the engine off, I'd just get a deep cycle instead. A QX56 can't need many CCA in TX.

However, almost 4 years isn't all THAT bad. If you just get something top tier with a 5 year warranty, you can just get the remainder pro-rated on the new battery, as long as you're astute enough to recognize worn battery symptoms so it doesn't leave you stranded in BFE.

The OEM battery in my car, I got from the dealership. It comes with 5 years warranty. 2 years FREE replacement and 3 years pro rated. I just called them and they said I would need to pay about $8X.XX drive out for a new one with another 5 years warranty.

But they claim they have to test it and if does not say BAD, they will not replace it. I tested it at Autozone and it was not bad. It tested as GOOD. But the CCA is lower now and they told me it is on its way out. Plus acid was low and I topped off at home with distilled water.

So, seems dealership wants mew to be stranded before they give me a prorated price on a new battery.

Does Walmart have a group 31 battery with a 3 yr free replacement warranty ??

I would think so.

Does Walmart have a group 31 battery with a 3 yr free replacement warranty ??

I would think so.

Please, provide me a link so I can look into it.

This store is local. Warranty on this is only 12 months. It would be a real disappointment if I buy this and it dies after just 1 year use.

I will go check this battery out in person when next I am off from work. Never heard of this brand before.

This tractor supply battery made by Clarios... Formerly Johnson Control...

I have seen the group 24f they sell at Tractor Supply.. Specs are exactly like AutoZone battery which carries a 3 yr free replacement warranty. The The battery at TS has a 2 yr free replacement warranty.

This tractor supply battery made by Clarios... Formerly Johnson Control...

I have seen the group 24f they sell at Tractor Supply.. Specs are exactly like AutoZone battery which carries a 3 yr free replacement warranty. The The battery at TS has a 2 yr free replacement warranty.

Thanks for the info about Traveller battery. So Johnson Control is no more? They are called Clarios now? Did they go under and file for bankruptcy or why did they change their name?

I will find time to go into the store and check this battery out.

Back