Greasy / Wet film around vents after 4amp charger used on it?

I was trying out a new 4amp tender/maintainer on a new battery and afterwards noticed a damp/greasy film around the vent caps.

Normal I'm hoping? If so I might have a bad tender...

Could be the battery. How long was the charger on for? If you have a multi- meter, use it to check voltage and measure the current the battery is taking. Try another battery.

OP, if you want anyone to make any intelligent response to your post, you are going to have to include much more details, like what is the AH rating of the battery, or group, manufacturer, what application, or any other significant info about the battery, and much more info about the charger. What type of battery AGM, gell, wet-cell exc. There are several different base type of chemistry that different batteries have, and there are many different sizes.

Your total lack of details is almost unbelievable, and what type of information are you looking for in response.

Information about how long the charger was charging the battery is a good start. But was the battery discharged to start with?

gigo, or in your case no info in = no info out

Last edited:
Discharge the battery a good 25% deep, then repeat the charge cycle and monitor what the charger is doing, the voltage and current.

Odds are, it was either charging at too high a current for the bulk of the charge, or at (even at a lesser current) too high a float/maintenance charge rate at the end and outgassing excessively.

If you have no inclination to monitor it or modify it to remedy this, then I would return it for a refund, but it may be the design of the charger, not a "defect" per se.

Since it has vent caps, I assume you mean it is a normal vented, not sealed (with pressure valves) lead acid battery. I'd be sure the water level is topped off, low water can also reduce the current capacity before outgassing.

It would be important to know what you measured with a multimeter, when charging. Plus the info Jim mentions above.

I had a battery tender waterproof 800mA go haywire for some reason and it was charging >15.5V continuously. It didnt do that when new... Fortunately it could only put out 800mA...

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
OP, if you want anyone to make any intelligent response to your post, you are going to have to include much more details, like what is the AH rating of the battery, or group, manufacturer, what application, or any other significant info about the battery, and much more info about the charger. What type of battery AGM, gell, wet-cell exc. There are several different base type of chemistry that different batteries have, and there are many different sizes.

Your total lack of details is almost unbelievable, and what type of information are you looking for in response.

Information about how long the charger was charging the battery is a good start. But was the battery discharged to start with?

gigo, or in your case no info in = no info out

Apologies, I had initially written on mobile and now can provide some more details/

It's an interstate grp 65, ford f-150. Charger is a viking HF 4am tender/charger. Battery is a flooded type. Bottom line I'm tryng to figure out with limited knowledge if this is a normal thing during charging? I've never used a charger like this so I'm unsure. The battery was purchased for the vehicle a couple of weeks back and I simply wanted to make sure it was 'full' before putting it into service. It indicated charging from 13.1 to full (green), and 13.8 after about 12 hours.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
It would be important to know what you measured with a multimeter, when charging. Plus the info Jim mentions above.

I had a battery tender waterproof 800mA go haywire for some reason and it was charging >15.5V continuously. It didnt do that when new... Fortunately it could only put out 800mA...

No, simply let the 'smart' charger do it's work.

I don't know how the HF charger operates but my Battery Tenders will apply constant current (bulk charge)until the voltage rises to ~14.4 volts and then hold constant voltage (absorption phase) until the amperage drops below a certain level. Then the maintainer/charger switches to float mode and holds the battery at ~13.2 volts, which is below the gassing voltage.

https://www.stealth316.com/misc/deltran-battery-charger-algorithm-graphs.pdf

Originally Posted by DirtyApe
Apologies, I had initially written on mobile and now can provide some more details/

It's an interstate grp 65, ford f-150. Charger is a viking HF 4amp tender/charger. Battery is a flooded type. Bottom line I'm trying to figure out with limited knowledge if this is a normal thing during charging? I've never used a charger like this so I'm unsure. The battery was purchased for the vehicle a couple of weeks back and I simply wanted to make sure it was 'full' before putting it into service. It indicated charging from 13.1 to full (green), and 13.8 after about 12 hours.

I'm not a big HF fan on this type of product, but it appears to have good specifications ... if it meets them.

It has 4 modes, 2 or which are for standard flooded ... one of those for cold conditions. It is my OPINION that your float is too high, and there will be some electrolyte loss. As others have said, overfilled or overvoltage will cause this, but I doubt you have done damage unless the electrolyte is below plate level.

Back