Picked up a used Honda Push Mower today

Picked up an older Honda push mower today. I have my 316 with a 50" deck for the majority of my lawn, but some areas are better served with a push mower (around trees, between trees, edges of driveway, etc.).

From looking up serial numbers and engine serial numbers, I believe it is a Honda Harmony. Mid-late 90's variety. Engine starts in 1 pull and runs strong and quiet. I will give it a tune up and fresh oil change of whatever HDEO I have in a jug.

Looks like it has a GXV140 engine. Still trying to 100% identify the thing, but from what I can tell I know the plug and air filter it takes.

Picked it up for $40. Figured that wasn't too shabby considering newer Honda mowers are going for $500-700+. This unit is NOT self propelled, no concern here.

So now I have two lawn mowers at the house. Both silver. One of the turbo variety.
laugh.gif

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had a slightly older version of that mower for the last 30 years. (Long enough to actually need a tire rotation!) Mine has a blade clutch so the engine can run without the blade rotating, which is a nice feature. Absolutely trouble-free and the Xenon deck is rust-proof. They are really heavy, though.

And as a hint, to check the oil level unscrew the dipstick, wipe and reinsert only to where it contacts the tube, don't screw it in any further.

That is a great score for the 215 series! I have a 1997 non-self propelled 216 series Harmony without the bagger option. Runs great and no complaints. My favorite part is the double blade for mulching. If you plan to mulch, check whether yours can use this setup. Makes quick work of leaves in the fall.

Originally Posted by Danh
I've had a slightly older version of that mower for the last 30 years. (Long enough to actually need a tire rotation!) Mine has a blade clutch so the engine can run without the blade rotating, which is a nice feature. Absolutely trouble-free and the Xenon deck is rust-proof. They are really heavy, though.

And as a hint, to check the oil level unscrew the dipstick, wipe and reinsert only to where it contacts the tube, don't screw it in any further.

That is brilliant...I never thought of rotating my tires. My fronts are as bald as my head!

Last edited:
I have a mower that I got somewhere new 8 years ago for about $200-$250. I don't even know what kind it is, but it's fire engine red. I change the spark plug and oil each spring. Keep the air filter clean and changed each year. I take a hose to it to keep the moist grass from sticking to the underside. Non-ethanol gas only. Kept in the garage, never outside. My 9-year-old daughter can start it with one pull when she's angry enough with her brother. I have used fishing line to mend the bag once, but that has been it. It's just like a car - basic maintenance will take you a long way.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Nice find. Replace the air filter and, as you said, any HDEO will make her happy
thumbsup2.gif

And , maybe the spark plug .

Yesterday I changed the plug, NGK out, NGK in.

Dumped out the oil, and filled with some 15W-40 Traveller. I ended up picking up (3) 2.5 Gallon jugs of 15W-40 Traveller weeks back at Tractor Supply for $17.99. Couldn't resist that.

Ordered an air filter off of eBay... will clean the carb when I change the filter and give it a once over with the hose and Purple Power. Runs good -- better with the new plug.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Nice find for a nice price!

I wouldn't have paid anymore than $40 for that "push" mower. Sure is far from the deal of the century to me.

Last edited:
Back